ashmarie716

How can i remove mascara without taking out my contcts?

I recently (yesterday) started wearing contacts. I have the overnight contacts so I can just fall asleep in them. all of the article that I have read say to remove your contacts before removing your eye makeup/mascara. Is there any way around this?

bearyliz

Re: How can i remove mascara without taking out my contcts?

(0) Hearts

Have you considered tube mascaras like Blinc Mascara, Clinique Lash Power, BECCA's Ultimate Mascara, or FairyDrops Scandal Queen (I believe Loreal also makes one - Beauty Tubes or something)? They form little tubes around your eyelashes, and they come off with warm water and gentle pressure. If you feel like you have to tug at your eyelashes to get these mascaras off, then use more warm water, because the mascara is designed to slide off easily. Also, it will look like you just took off your eyelashes when you are removing tube mascara, but don't worry; those things on your fingers will be the tubes that were covering your eyelashes. Your eyelashes won't come off unless you tug too hard, which would really be your own fault anyway.

Blinc in particular states that its mascara "has been clinically tested to be non-irritating, making it ideal for sensitive eyes, contact lens wearers, and active people in search of a mascara whose look, hold, and ease of removal is without compromise."

Clinique also states, for its Lash Power Mascara: "Safe for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers. Ophthalmologist tested."

I wear contact lenses, and I found both Blinc and Clinique to work really well; the main difference for me was the price.

Also, I believe this has been said, but make sure you take out your contacts periodically, even if you have the ones that you can leave in.

mrscoco

(0) Hearts

One thing I have found is that it totally depends on the kind of contacts you have and you may need to do some trial and error. If you can visit a store and get a few samples, it may be best. The last kind I wore were pretty impervious to residue. The ones I am wearing now are horrid and seem to collect every little bit of dust and residue possible. 

Good luck finding something awesome!!

mpolansky

Honestly this scares me so much! As someone who wore eye contacts for YEARS, and had lots of eye problems in the past, I would not recommend doing this. Trust me when I say that an irritated eye can be extremely painful! 

Even the overnight contacts should be taken out so your eyes can breathe. I understand wanting to do an easy one-step clean but I'd reconsider, it's really not worth all the eye problems that can come of it :/

beautylovingirl

Your so right!! I wear contacts which I wear only for day and they come out at night for sure, I got a piece of mascara underneath one of my lenses and actually scratched my cornea and it does not feel good at all!

mpolansky

I'm so glad someone agrees! To this day I still can't wear contacts full time anymore because of the issues I had related to my past eye infection. It got scratched (probably by makeup), and infected. Long story short it was bad, and now I have to wear glasses all the time. I still rock em but girls take care of your eyes! It's not worth the hassle and pain of hurting/scratching them.

beautylovingirl

I have never heard of you not removing your contacts when you are removing your eye makeup, your taking a huge chance of getting mascara under your lens and then rubbing your eyes possibly and scratching your cornea, just a disaster waiting to happen. Not recommended at all.

ChicDabbler

My personal favorite is Koh Gen Do cleansing water since it's no rinse and really feel like water. It have a small opening so I just stick a cotton swab end then invert it to saturate. Then I wiggle the cotton swab on my lashes to remove majority of the mascara. Then I saturate a cotton pad and gently dabb/wipe the eye area to take off the remaining make up. On lazy days I have fall asleep after just swiping my face with KGD water (I have combo skin), then next morning just wipe with water, moisturize and put on makeup and it was fine for me.

RiaMo

This! I LOVE Koh Gen Do. It feels like you're using water, but it works! I never take my contacts out before removing my mascara. But I've been wearing contacts for over 20 yrs now and a bit lazy about it all now! 

calamityjane85

(0) Hearts

Yes yes yes this stuff is amazing. I take my contacts out right before I fall asleep, I never have issues with getting it in my eyes. 

lylysa

(0) Hearts

The key is using a gentle eye make up remover, even one that is deemed safe for contact lens wearers if you're able to find one.

Here's a list of options to consider:

MUFE Sens'Eyes Waterproof Sensitive Eye Cleanser (also safe for lips):

swfupload_2618309175383153487.jpg

Mineral oil free, removes waterproof/longwear/regular make up (most waterproof make up removers use mineral oil to break down formulas, if you're sensitive to this or want to avoid it all together this could be an option), has a creamy/lotion-like texture, ophthalmologist and dermatologist tested safe, won't leave behind a greasy residue

YSL Instant Eye Make Up Remover:

swfupload_1535075820901734737.jpg

Bi-phase remover (meaning the formula shows two equally suspended liquids in the bottle when shaken combine), no synthetic fragrances, soothing botanicals nourish skin around eyes, tested safe for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers, won't leave greasy residue behind

Sephora Collection Waterproof & Instant Eye Make Up Remover:

swfupload_5466548191482120224.jpgswfupload_2674082560868720926.jpg

Available in regular and bi-phase formulas, strengthening and nourishing ingredients top fortify lashes, ophthalmologist tested safe for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers, I wear contacts and currently am using the waterproof version with no issues

Koh Gen Do Cleansing Spa Water:

swfupload_7506711232812569733.jpg

For all over face and eyes, extra gentle, leaves no film, tested safe for sensitive eyes and skin, I've used this and find it's an actual make up remover that actually leaves your skin feeling cleansed to where you don't need to follow up with an actual facial cleanser and it didn't sting my eyes even when I used it on my inner lash line/waterline (it's a touch pricey, but worth it)

Clinique Take the Day Off for Lashes, Lids, & Lips:

swfupload_7111428950035941888.jpg

Also available in facial cleansers/for all over the face formulas, made to even remove waterproof mascara, ophthalmologist tested safe for contact lens wearers and sensitive skin, nonoily

kimchikween

i wear contacts too and found some eye makeup removers to be irritating and leave a residue that can get into my eyes, but I just used a sample from Lancome, and it was amazing!  It was like water - very gentle - but effective.

http://www.sephora.com/bi-facil-double-action-eye-makeup-remover-P54477?skuId=534628

Cleansing oils are good too but if you wear waterproof eye makeup like me, I need an eye makeup remover first to get the tough stuff off.

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

I will 3rd the Lancome Eyemakeup remover. I wear the Day&Nights too and this one doesn't bother my eyes. I tried the Sephora brand one and it stung my eyes so bad with or without contacts in. The Maybelline one is that I've also tried is good but leaves an oily film, so I only use this before cleansing my face. I almost always remove makeup with my contacts in or else I wouldn't be able to see!

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

PS Lancome counters give out big deluxe size samples of this (1.7oz!). Im sure you could get one if you asked and explained that your looking for one that doesn't hurt your eyes and was recommended their brand :smileyvery-happy:

mommyto4

(0) Hearts

I agree with kimchikween!  I use Lancome's BiFacil and I don't need to take out my contacts.  I never have to rub my eyes to get makeup off with it on a cotton pad.  Just a swipe or two and one under the eyes.

dianabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Ashmarie716,

I wear contacts so I know how you feel and what you are talking about! I've found the BEST product to remove my mascara without taking off my contacts? A cleansing oil. They do WONDERS at removing makeup but you do need to be careful to not get the oil in your eye- It doesn't irritate them but it can make your vision slightly fuzzier! :smileyhappy:

I also recommend a cleansing water too- those are easy and gentle and won't bug your contacts too:

Boscia Makeup Breakup Cool Cleansing Oil

Boscia - Makeup-Breakup Cool Cleansing Oil

http://www.sephora.com/makeup-breakup-cool-cleansing-oil-P254604?skuId=1227891

Caudalie Make Up Remover Cleansing Water

Caudalie - Make-Up Remover Cleansing Water

http://www.sephora.com/make-up-remover-cleansing-water-P381020?skuId=1528926

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 14 hearts