heartsmyface

Has anyone got any subtle looks out of the electric palette?

So I recently purchased Urban Decays Electric palette. The colors are so gorgeous and oh so pigmented! I've been playing a lot with it and end up looking pretty comical at times with some of the rainbow looks I've come up with.  I can't seem to accept wearing less than four shades at a time! Lol! Has anyone got any pictures of multiple color looks that aren't too over the top? Or do I have to accept using two or three shades? 

IAmLadyLiterary

Re: Has anyone got any subtle looks out of the electric palette?

xsparkage made a really incredible one using Electric and Naked 3, you should check it out

m3rma1d

I made a couple subtle looks--Coulda been even more subtle but I just get excited and over-apply haha!

pinks.jpg

A pinkish one

blues.jpg

A blueish one

bluespinks.jpg

Both :smileyhappy:

fatimamummy

Whao, you do got a beautiful pair of eyes and they both look good, but I like blue one better.

m3rma1d

(0) Hearts

Thanks!!

jozkid

Doesn't look over-applied at all. I think they look great. I really like the blue one on you!

m3rma1d

Thanks heartsmyface and jozkid!!

heartsmyface

Oh that's really pretty! I like them both! 

LariTheLoud

[ Edited ]

I absolutely adore my Electric Palette and use it quite frequently, but I'm not sure most of my looks qualify as subtle. I've done a couple that I do consider more work-appropriate looks with color, but it's still probably a little less conservative than most office settings and it's not to everyone's taste. kbmatthews has some gorgeous subtle looks, as almostyou mentioned!

EDIT to say: I do try to limit my Electric Palette looks to 3 brights, maximum, though.

jozkid

I was going to mention kbmatthews as well. She manages to do subtle very well with that palette.

heartsmyface

(0) Hearts

Lol,yeah, I have been very excited about the colors showing up the way they do! I've just been going nuts! I put war paint on two nights ago! Lol! 

almostyou

kbmatthews has been posting some gorgeous subtle looks with the Electric Palette in the What are you wearing today? thread. Though, I'm not sure that she's using more than two or three shades at once. She is pretty much the reason I'm now thinking I could actually use the Electric Palette though.

kbmatthews

Thanks almostyou! :smileyhappy: 

Yep, that's my thing lately... using the Electric palette is more toned down ways. If you look at my "what are you wearing today?" posts, you'll see what I mean.

I stick with just a couple colours of the same family mostly, though sometimes I'll use a contrast colour as a liner, and I use a very soft, long haired blending brush for it. 

Also, I sandwich it between a layer of skin-toned eyeshadow and translucent powder. I find the electric palette very hard to blend when you're trying to keep it toned down, so doing so helps with blending it more easily. 

The great thing about this palette is that it is actually quite versatile. I like doing a very nude eye and using a wet colour as an eyeliner, or just doing the outer corner or crease with a colour. I also have mixed shades with primers to apply as a wash of colour over the eyelid, and you can also mix some with clear mascara to add a pop of colour to your eyelashes. 

heartsmyface

(0) Hearts

thanks for the awesome suggestions! I've been having a little difficulty blending shades and keeping it light. for wet color do you wet your brush and put it in the palette or get the color on the brush and then wet it? 

kbmatthews

(0) Hearts

I wet the brush first usually, but lately I've been trying to preserve my eyeshadow better and I'll buff a little eyeshadow onto a little mixer pan I have, and put a drop of water on and mix. 

LariTheLoud

kb covers pretty much every reason why I'm in love with my Electric Palette. You go, girl!

kbmatthews

Thanks Lari! :smileyhappy:

Between us, we cover a spectrum of toned down to vibrant looks with the palette! Woo!

prettyinpa

I was swatching them out in store and found that if I applied a layer of translucent powder on top of the color, it muted it down a bit to something that is more wearable and less clown-like. I think this could make the palette work in more situations than otherwise.

lylysa

[ Edited ]

To have wear color but have them be less bold and less jarring, use a larger blender brush that has longer bristles, this allows the brush to be softer in terms of application, providing a more light-handed sweep of color and giving some transparency to the brilliant shades. :smileyhappy:

You can layer and have shades appear more "water color"-like with this technique as well.

heartsmyface

(0) Hearts

image.jpg

Oh what a great tip! I just tried that out! Wooooohooooo! 

lecia1167

As usual, great advice! I just got this palette, and I haven't used it yet. But I will use your tips.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 38 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • lylysa
    • fatimamummy
    • lecia1167
    • jozkid
    • kbmatthews