TwistedTangle

Good Start Point for Eyemake up

Hello,

I'm not very well versed when it comes to make up or techniques. Most of the time I just throw on eyeshadow (often using my fingers) and a bit of eyeliner and walk out the door.

I'm looking for some suggestions on good starter products for someone without a lot of experince. Right now I'm using the Naked Pallet; a lighter brown for top and darker browns for bottom lid. Then I smooth on sephora eyeliner and some unknown brand of mascara.

I really dont use all the Naked pallet colors and its a bit big. I like browns, blacks, greys and sometimes green. Mostly I love smokey eyes. (I have hazel eyes that are pretty deep set). The Sephora eyeliner I like because it goes on very smooth but it seems everytime I sharpen it, it breaks. Which leads to a lot of waste.

I'd love suggestions on good eyeshadow pallets or options that are easy to work with (go on smooth). Preferably ones that are good for senstive skin and not animal tested. Do you really need a bunch of brushes for shadows? I have just sponge applicators and the brush that came with the Naked pallet.

Also suggestions on eyeliner or mascara that sorta fit the same theme as above.

Thanks!

ChicDabbler

Re: Good Start Point for Eyemake up

[ Edited ]

Lorac, Josie Maran, Tarte and Urban Decay are all good for sensitive eyes and I believe they don't do animal testing (you should check their website to make sure). I like Lorac and Tarte, they have good color pay off and goes on well, have more matte and less glitter than Urban Decay. There's Lorac Pro if you want a good range, Lorac Unzipped if you want red undertone, and Lorac Mint if you want summery colors. Tarte also have a set or two on sale last time I checked.

As for applicators, sponge gives you intense color but have limited use before washing ruins it, and fingers are good but for shimmery/frosted/glitter colors I find it to slightly alter the finish/color since some clings to your fingers rather than eyelid and if you have oily skin it's not ideal for the shadow in the long term. Brushes are much more reusable and gives a sheer/lighter coverage/color. Unless you are doing complicated looks, you don't really need more than 2-3 for eyes. Eco Tools and Real Technique are good places to start, and once you find a favorite type, Sephora brushes are great to invest in.

lylysa

Re: Good Start Point for Eyemake up

(0) Hearts

The Naked palette is a great place to start off with. If you're looking for more colors to set off your hazel eyes, try the Naked or Romantic eye palette from Too Faced. They come with tutorial cards for different looks and the shades can play nicely with browns and neutrals but also give some nice pops of color.

The Urban Decay, MUFE Aqua Eyes, and Stila Smudge Stick liners are super easy to work with. The formulas are creamy and apply well, they don't tug on your lid or skip to form gaps. They can also be smudged to give a softer look or even in cases where you don't have shadows to work with.

If you don't want to spend a lot on brushes, check out Eco Tools and E.L.F.'s Studio line. They're super soft, synthetic brushes that apply product well and won't break the bank for starters.

There are tons of tutorials online and YouTube that you can look up since the Naked palette is so popular, play around with technique and be sure to use an eye shadow primer underneath so you're not having to load on as much product to get it to show and it'll help your shadow from creasing and make it last longer.

Depending on how much you want to spend on mascara, Maybelline is a great place to start, if you want something basic and performs, Tarte's Lights Camera Lashes or Benefit's They're Real do well. There's a thread not long ago that had users posting their fave drug store and high end mascaras, search the front page for it or let me know and I can link it to you!

Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 3 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler
    • TwistedTangle