bblin92

Gel liner always smudging?

Hello pretty ladies,

Back with another question to see what all you wonderful minds have to suggest.

I really like using gel liners because i find it gives me the most natural look - but no matter how I apply it, it smudges all under my eye and on the corners despite the fact not using much

If I tightline my eyes with a gel liner it's a no no and smudges within  MINUTES!! 

I have oily lids so things easily move around - with my stila liquid liner it stay puts all day but sometimes I find it is just a bit too much for an everyday thing.

I've tried gel liners from tarte, bobbi brown, smash box and god knows what and none of them worked - I've been using a Korean brand which has proven to have better "smudge proof" quality. I still want to know more options.

I know probably a pencil option may be good - so any suggestions?

Stila? Urban Decay?

How do I get my gel liners not to travel down to my lower lid and smudge all over my under eye area and the corners of my eyes!!! 

It's driving me nuts.

weeeeweeeeeee

Re: Gel liner always smudging?

Have you tried Mar Jacob's Gel eyeliner?

http://www.sephora.com/highliner-gel-crayon-P379434?skuId=1501311

It is in pencil form, but I take an angled eyeliner brush, run it against the tip of the eyeliner and use it like it came from a pot. This stuff is really long lasting, and budgeproof. You will need a good eye makeup remover to take it off, I use one that is oil based to take it off.

rjamlt

(0) Hearts

Have you tried the Laura Mercier creme eye liner pots? I have 2 of these and find that once I put them on- they are locked in even on the formidable waterline. 

http://www.sephora.com/creme-eye-liner-P377641?skuId=1476621

clemon

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Oh I know your pain. The effect of tight I lining with gel/cream liner is so great, but I can't wear them either. I have gone through the majority off gel/cream liners sephora sells as well as many drug stores ones and the tight liner for Laura Mercier. Everything smudges. I have just came to accept the fact they aren't meant for me (nor are any pencils). I have now converted to using liquid liner. I find liquid versions a little more time consuming but it can deliver similar results. Not all liquid eyeliners works though, but many of them do (whereas as all of the gel ones don't). The one from Stila is not bad (very minimal flaking/ smudge, within acceptable level), the one from sephora that's currently on sale for $5 is pretty good too (I loooove the blue one), and so is the lancome artliner (aside from the fact that the cost is significantly higher than the other while having similar results). 

I have tried a few I didn't like, most notably being the Marc Jacobs one at $36...it may just be me (many people loved it) but I personally wouldn't recommend it.

gongju87

(0) Hearts

This happens to me all the time too, mostly on my outer eye from my tightlining. I use laura mercier cake liner and I love the stiff but the panda eyes at the end of the day drive me insane! As I try to rub it away without ruining the rest of my makeup I think to myself, how can something that doesnt want to budge after it smears, smear in the first place lol!

Sophiaaax3

(0) Hearts

Plus if you have oily eyelids you should use eye primer like UD eyeshadow primer

Sophiaaax3

(0) Hearts

I had been using Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner for years because it doesn't smudge as much as other eyliner, however by the end of the day i will have panda eyes and my lower liner had already smudge around my under eyes. Then i tried Loreal Infallible Gel Lacquer Liner 24 Hour, I have been using this eyeliner for a year now and it doesn't smudge at all, and its easily remove with NEUTROGENA Oil-Free Eye Makeup Remover. Hope this helps. It's only $7 if you get it from any walmart, so it's worth a try. Also find mascara that's waterproof like MAYBELLINE Volum' Express The Falsies Mascara - Black Drama. It doesn't smudge at all.

MakeupJunkie666

(0) Hearts

I love MUFE's Aqua Black Waterproof Cream Eye Shadow. Once it is on, it will not budge; it is my go to liner. 

bblin92

(0) Hearts

Hey yeah I tried this, and I loved it at first but it ends up shedding like a liquid liner i felt!

colorobsession

(0) Hearts

I second the NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base for anyone with oily lids. It really helps to keep things in place. Also, setting your gel liner with a matching eyeshadow using an angled brush as Laura mentioned really does help! I've used the Tarte emphasEYES gel liner quite a bit in the past and with a good primer underneath I didn't have a problem with smudging. I hope you find a combination that works for you!

bblin92

Definitely considering the smudgeproof base!

Missie772

I hate when that happens! I prime my eyelids with Nars Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base. Then I use gel eyeliner and set it with a black eyeshadow over the eyeliner.

As for pencils- I really like the Stila pencil eyeliners. Also Tarte makes a great waterproof one as well!

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

Have you tried Inglot Matte Black Gel Liner #77? Seriously the best I have tried.It goes on creamy but sets quickly and stays put all day.

talinder

(0) Hearts

If your oily lids are that problematic I'd also recommend using a good eye shadow primer on your upper and lower lash line. Urban Decay makes an anti-aging one.

melissabt

Hi bblin92,

I hate when that happens! And then it smudges on all of your shadow:smileysad: Try setting it with a matte black powder, it totally works! It makes the gel liner last longer and in my opinion prevents smudging. You can use an angled brush to apply it.

N° 54 Black Lace - Black Matte

http://www.sephora.com/colorful-eyeshadow-matte-P384829?skuId=1424647

<3 Melissa
bblin92

Thank you Melissa xo

I wiill try my matte black from my naked palette =)

melissabt

(0) Hearts

Wonderful!:smileyhappy:

<3 Melissa
laurabt

Hi bblin92,

A good trick is to set your gel liner with a matching powder eye shadow. Apply the shadow directly over the gel line with an eyeliner brush.  It works the same as a setting powder for your face!  Although this is an extra step, and sometimes we don't have that much time in the morning.

My favorite eyeliner is Stila Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner. Once it dries, this liner does not budge! I love how many color choices there are, and that you never need to sharpen it.  I can apply it very quickly in the morning, and it lasts all day.

:smileyhappy: -Laura

bblin92

Hi Laurabt ~

Great suggestion! Love it - does the stila pencil provide good precision =)

laurabt

(0) Hearts

Yes, it actually does! Sometimes, I'll take my eyeliner brush and smudge it into my lash line a little more, or straighten out the line a bit before it dries (which is really fast, so you have to move quick!). But this is not necessary at all- I'm just a perfectionist and it makes me feel better, haha. :smileyhappy: -Laura

bblin92

(0) Hearts

No I am totally the same! I am a super uber perfectionist and my lines have to be perfect that's why I don't use liquid liners often! Your'e awesome, thanks for the tip love!!! 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 12 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • weeeeweeeeeee
    • melissabt
    • talinder
    • colorobsession
    • Missie772
    • Kiki1517