Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

Eyeshadow for hooded eyes.

My eyelids are heavily hooded, I am looking for a tutorial or some advise on how to best apply my eyeshadow.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

RE: Eyeshadow for hooded eyes.

Alissa Ashley has a lot of amazing tutorials for hooded eyes!!

Wayne Goss, Nikkietotorials, Tati Westbrook all have hooded eyes tutorials. I actually started watching/following some of the “elder” youtubers since they naturally deal with hooded eyes/aging eyes. Very similar techniques, best advice is don’t go too thick on the liner and make your crease higher techniques have completely changed how I do my eye makeup. Hope this helps

Re: Eyeshadow for hooded eyes.

Meesha has a channel on Youtube...SugarPuffandFluff ACTUALLY has hooded eyes.  She has several videos that show how to do make up for hooded eyes. She has changed the way I do my makeup. Hope this helps.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXzy6zjssCE

Alissa Ashley also has done quite a few YouTube videos for hooded eyes.

Nikkie Tutorials has a lot of amazing tips and tricks for hooded eyes. I have hooded eyes also and love her makeup looks. Hope this helps.

This has been very helpful!! Thank you!!

Anonymous Insider

I second the Sephora and Wayne Goss tutorials! I learned...

I second the Sephora and Wayne Goss tutorials! I learned a lot from them! hooded eyes are a challenge! we need to maximize all the space we have!

Hi @Genivcd, I feel you!! I have hooded eyes too and I had so much trouble with eye makeup when I started. I think the suggestion below of Wayne Goss's videos is a good one. It's true that everyone's hooded eyes are different- my dad's are much more hooded than mine, and mine are sort of almond shaped and hooded, if that makes sense. You will hear the advice: 'hooded eyes can only wear mattes,' and I don't think that's true-- I think that what's important is where you place the mattes and the shimmers relative to your own eyeshape. That said, mattes are definitely important when you have hooded eyes because you may want to sculpt the hooded part of your eye to make it less apparent. I think a good palette is Tartelette in Bloom because it is heavier on mattes but does contain shimmers as well.

I was also really helped by watching Korean makeup artists on youtube like Pony Makeup-- something about her technique really clicked for me. I believe Mary Greenwell (on Into the Gloss's Youtube channel) and Lisa Eldridge have hooded eye demos as well.

I would also really recommend going to your local Sephora and making an appointment (or several!) to have your eye makeup done. I did this a few times and was lucky enough to have an artist with hooded eyes like me. He was happy to explain his technique to me, and the results really made me feel like my own eyeshape was beautiful even if it wasn't the eyeshape others had. Eventually, I could embrace my hooded eyes and I hope you can embrace yours. That said, it did take me awhile to learn to love them and to find the best techniques for them.

I would also look for smaller eye brushes. I found the popular MAC 217 difficult to use and not the right size for the crease of my eye. I can use it now but it's not my favorite at all. Japanese-made brushes are helpful here but you can find smaller eye brushes at the drugstore from Elf as well.

Finally, this visual guide on reddit was really helpful for me:

http://imgur.com/a/rqbaM

That was a very helpful link, as I am aging my hooded lids are getting worse.  My brother just qualified to have his surgically repaired, covered under his medical as they were interfering with his eyesight.

Wayne Goss has tutorials on hooded eyes on Youtube.  He has 2 channels.

Hi Genivcd,

We have some great tutorials over on the Sephora YouTube channel that cover makeup for hooded eyes!

The Basics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vouv4Vx-Tvs&t=1s

Winged Eyeliner for Hooded Eyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqCPcZ9_N0Q

I hope these help!

-Stephanie

Thanks for the video links for us ladies with hooded eyes! I found the liner video a bit advanced for me but I did like the eye shadow video.

12 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 31 Hearts Given
  • 13 Contributors
testing