MsBeans

Eyeshadow before foundation? Or foundation before eyeshadow? Which do u prefer?

ive tried it both ways and don't know which I prefer.! How do you apply your eyeshadow? Before or after you foundation?  

What are your pros and cons? 

Id iove to know!

Kyndra

Re: Eyeshadow before foundation? Or foundation before eyeshadow? Which do u prefer?

(0) Hearts

If I'm going out and using and using a good amount of eyeshadow or doing a smokey eye I'll do my eyes and brows first but for everyday I do them last

IttyxBittyxMe

Re: Eyeshadow before foundation? Or foundation before eyeshadow? Which do u prefer?

(0) Hearts

I always do my eyeshadow first, then my foundation. If I'm using pigments instead of pressed shadows I know there's going to be fallout, I can wipe it off easily opposed to taking off a part of my foundation. That and I started using eyeshadow waaay before foundation, so it's just a habit for me. 

glossyguru

(0) Hearts

I usually just go ahead and do my foundation first unless I know that I am using a LOT of eyeshadow and there will be a LOT of fallout. Besides that, I don't really see any reason to do your eyes before your face.

theramenlover

(0) Hearts

It depends on the look I'm going for! I rarely wear eyeshadow but for daily use, I am more inclined to put on a cream shadow like the Benefit ones in which case those can go on first or later. If I'm going out for the night and doing a smoked out sort of eye makeup look, I'll definitely do it first in case there's fall out and it gets all over my face. 

rainbowveins084

(0) Hearts

I've always done makeup first but this post inspired me to try eyes first and i think I like it better. You can really get a cleaner line if you're doing smokey eyes!

marydiva

(0) Hearts

I do eyeshadow first! Mostly b/c of fallout and getting my winged liner perfect. I usually go in this order:

-Eyeshadow

-Clean up Eyeshadow fallout, perfect it, etc. 

-Foundation/Mineral Veil

-Blush/Highlight

joeanne

(0) Hearts

I've always done my foundation first. I have to see my face "done" before I feel like I can put my eye makeup on. I've never had a big problem with shadow fall out so that's not an issue.

Like properlylost said, I like saving the best for last! After I have my face done, I do my brows, then it's time to play!

mberteig

(0) Hearts

I always do my eyes first.  I apply eyelid primer to my lids and face primer to my face.  Then I do eye shadow, liner, lash primer and mascara.  Then I use cotton swabs and a damp cloth to clean up any fallout.  Then I do foundation and the rest of my makeup.

I wear glasses and have to take them off to apply eye makeup, so I have to hold a mirror very close to my face so I can see what I am doing, and apply with the other hand. 

This works for me, I don't always make a mess or have a lot of fallout, but I like it because it is neater.

Loricaaa

(0) Hearts

It depends on what eyeshadow look I'm doing. If it's a simple eyeshadow look I do my foundation first and then my eyes. If I'm doing a dramatic eyeshadow look (loaadss of dark/vibrant colors) I usually do my eyes first and then clean up the fall out and then follow with my face make up.

evno

(0) Hearts

I put on BB cream everywhere except my lids and then prime my lids and apply eyeshadow. I haven't had much experience with fallout because I use eyeshadow pencils (so easy!). But when I do use powder eyeshadow, I place a mirror flat on my desk and bend over to look down at the mirror while I apply shadow. The shadow falls all over the mirror, but not on my skin!

melissabt

(0) Hearts

Hi MsBeans,

I prefer doing eyeshadow first, so that I clean up any shadow that falls onto my face. I like to do my skincare while I do my eyes too so it has time to sink into my skin.

<3 Melissa
Missie772

(0) Hearts

I usually do foundation and concealer first for an every day look so it can set on my skin while I am doing my eyes, then clean up with under eye concealer and then I can set it all with powder. I like doing it this way so my foundation can get settled in before I powder.

If I am going all out for a night out then I do my eyes first so I can clean it up if need be. Sometimes I forget though! I don't have a huge issue with fallout though and I can do a winged eyeliner in my sleep- I rock one everyday. A small wing for work and more dramatic one for the night out.

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

I've always done foundation first on myself, however I have been trying my hardest to get in the habit of doing eyes first because of the fallout.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

For me it depends what I'm doing with my eyes. If it's something simple, then foundation first. If I'm going for a specific look, then shadow first. Not many of shadows have fallout, but my issue is with winged liner & trying to fix the lines & make them even. I end up smudging my foundation. So sometimes I'll just apply a bit of foundation to the area, do my eyes, and then touch up. That way I'm not caking it on. 

properlylost

(0) Hearts

I've always done my eyeshadow last with my makeup routine. I think because it's like saving the best for last for me since that's what I put the most effort into. The only con is if there's a lot of fallout with an eyeshadow, but thankfully I rarely have that problem.

seebs08

(0) Hearts

I usually end up doing eyeshadow first, just because a lot of the eyeshadows I use end up having a lot of fallout.

lilyyy

(0) Hearts

Either, but I do NOT use foundation on my eyes ever. I always apply eyeshadow to bare lids.

maltipoo66

(0) Hearts

Eyeshadow before foundation.  Sometimes you don't even notice fallout from eyeshadow under your eyes, but when you apply foundation and concealer the texture gets messed up and it's not as neat.  After I do my eyes, I always do a quick swipe of makeup remover under my eyes just to make sure the fallout is gone. :smileyhappy:

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

I always put my makeup the same way: foundation, powder, bronzed, eye shadow, liner, mascara, blush, lipstick.  If I really mess up my eye area, I'll break out a wipe and clean up the problem area an reapply foundation.

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

I do shadow first! The eyeshadows i use are really soft and there is always a ton of fallout when applying, so it easier to wipe it away, then do my face! Plus as @warriorwitch mentioned, It easier to fix when you mess up! 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 23 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • mberteig
    • maltipoo66
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • theramenlover
    • marydiva