MAKEUPxx

Eyeliner without Mascara?

(0) Hearts

Hi everyone,

I have pretty long eyelashes and they look great when just CURLED. I have Tarte's lights camera lashes mascara and I love it. But a few minutes after it is applied, my eyelashes kinda droop down and don't stay fully curled like they do without mascara. I want to do something to make my eyes stand out and pop more. I was never really an eyeliner girl, but would wearing eyeliner without mascara look weird? I have dark eyelashes and hazel eyes, for reference. If anyone could give me some tips that would be awesome. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!! :smileyhappy:

candyeyed

Re: Eyeliner without Mascara?

(0) Hearts

Have you tried blow drying your lashes? Once u apply mascara take a blowdryer, and with a closed eye, on the cool setting put it beneath your eye and dry on low, this should keep the lashes up and curled...

If they still fall then your mascara is too heavy.. you may want to check out a different brand 

However if not having SUPER DARK lashes doesnt bother you and you like the way they look naturally then I agree wih nadel654, that tight lining is the way to go!, its alot more subtle than wearing eyeliner above your lash line and gives the illusion of darker fuller lashes without wearing mascara

melissa93

(0) Hearts

I almost always wear eyeliner without mascara and it works fine with me! I just don't use black because I don't really think it's nessesary. I have really deep brown eyes and usually wear a bronze, brown with some sparkle, or purple eyeliner to really make my eyes pop. I think you should try some plum, purple, maybe even coppery eyeliners and I think those colors would really make your eyes pop! Try Urban Decay eyeliners they are my favorite! Hope this helps! 

blondelovee

(0) Hearts

I have Tarte's mascara primer and it is genius! It goes on white; after it dries, apply your Tarte mascara and see if it does the trick for you! It works wonders for me, but I've had to experiment a few times to get the right amount of primer without going overboard. You'll know what I'm talking about if you try it. Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

@blondelovee. Does it actually promote eyelash growth? or is it just a primer?

Thanks.

MAKEUPxx

(0) Hearts

thanks everyone!!!

ivowren

Firstly let me say that I'm jealous. My lashes are relatively long, (though super straight) and thick but they look so much better with mascara. 

The best mascara I have found that lasts, looks amazing, stays dark and holds the curl is Armani Eyes to Kill. Sadly, however, I don't believe Sephora carries it. 

katie1724

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I never wear eyeliner without mascara, but it's only because it would look odd on me (the ends of my eyelashes are blondish, so the contrast would stand out) -- but I think you definitely CAN do it easily. If you're not partial to black, I think a plum eyeliner would be beautiful. Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes in 6L is a smoky plum shade -- it looks almost black at first glance, but it's plum, and I think it would be lovely with hazel eyes.

I do know what you mean about lashes losing curl once mascara is applied. I myself have never tried Tarte's mascara, but I've always had great luck with YSL Faux Cils (it doesn't go flat on me). :smileyhappy:

sephan

(0) Hearts

I also have long dark lashes that don't hold curls well, but I found that waterproof mascara can solve the problem - any kind of mascara that isn't waterproof will weigh my lashes down and cause them to lose the curl, but waterproof mascara's drier formula seems to dry and freeze lashes in place, maintaining the curl.  I only use waterproof mascaras now and haven't had a problem with my lashes losing curl. 

nanobear18

(0) Hearts

maybe try some smudged khol liner or a cat eye paired with curled lashes and some clear mascara? hope this helps. :smileyhappy: 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Another option for you would be to look at the Dior Iconic overcurl mascara. Hope this helps!

MAKEUPxx

(0) Hearts

Thank you everyone!!

ChicDabbler

I almost never wear mascara with eyeliner since I also have long lashes that doesn't curl when mascara-ed (yes, I just verb-ed it).

If you have long dark lashes, it doesn't look weird. Or if you are going for a natural look, try dotting/wiggling the eyeliner inbetween your lashline and right above it, then smudge the liner above it abit. This way it looks like you have fuller lashes and is not wearing eyeliner. To make my eyes pop, I often do that with a dark brown liner on top, line the waterline on the bottom with a nude eyeliner, and curl the lashes. It really give me a natural big/awake eye look.

Titian06

Hi, MAKEUPxx!  Eyeliner without mascara will not look weird, especially since you have long, dark lashes that curl!  I have trichotillomania - I pull out my eyelashes and eyebrows when I'm stressed.  I don't have eyelashes on my upper lids, but that doesn't stop me from lining both my upper and lower lids on the inside waterline.  Also on the top lid, I extend the line above the waterline.  So if I can line my lashless lids, you surely can line your mascaraless, lashed lids--GO FOR IT!! 

nadel654

Hey Makeupxx,

Try tight-lining your upper lashline. It will give your lashes a fuller, mascara like look, without the weight of mascara brining your lashes down. There are plenty of videos on youtube about tight-lining, so you can check them out there!

Hope this helps!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • melissa93
    • nanobear18
    • ChicDabbler
    • ivowren