Brandylynn111

Eyeliner Problems :(

(0) Hearts

I'm not a huge eyeliner fan, I will use it to do the natural smokey eye with the smudgy look or the cat eye on the top of the lid but that's as far as I go. For some odd reason every single time I've bought a brand new eyeliner, and used it on my waterline I've ended up getting a sty on my waterline, I'm not sure why, I've tried everything I could think of in order to sanitize and keep all of my products for such clean and am not an "eye toucher". My boyfriend loves me wearing eyeliner but i'm not sure i'll be able to use it much longer if this keeps happening...is there anything I can do, or hypoallergenic products I can use?? Please help before I lose faith in my liners :smileysad: 

Thanks 

aviscardi

Re: Eyeliner Problems :(

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I get these frequently and I have no idea what it's from. It's not any particular product either, but from what I researched previously it's an excess of oil clogging it.    I've gotten them in both eyes but it generally happens just to my left eye and usually on the bottom waterline.     It could be from oil and then sweating and needing to wash my face and get it thoroughly cleansed.  If my eyes feel dry I try to use drops and make sure all the makeup is removed But sometimes I only notice it when I'm removing my makeup.    It can happen if I get eye cream in my eye , concealer or powder I'm my eyes but most of the time it doesn't last more than 2-4 days depending on the size and it goes away on its own. 

Shanney54

I have been dealing with styes for years! A few years ago I asked my ophthalmologist about them and he said to try taking my eye makeup with baby shampoo. I gave it a try, but I couldn't get my makeup off as well with it and then my eyelid felt very dry afterward. Since then I have found Cetaphil face cleanser to do a really good job! My liner comes off a lot easier with this and I haven't noticed as many styes. Another tip I that has worked for me is taking a warm washcloth when I wake up to make sure there isn't any of the crust left near my eyelashes from sleeping. Hope this helps!

jojobe

I have to do that too, but no cleanser worked and I even had steriod drops to get rid of them. My eye doctor told me there was something one of the tricylines, similar to the acne medication that can clear them up if they are very chronic like mine were. A hot washcloth works good too and now I only remove my make up with coconut oil.

manniface

[ Edited ]

Wait- does the sty look like a traditional sty (all red and stuff) or more like little bubbles (image below)?

images.jpeg

This is really important

jojobe

(0) Hearts

It can actually be either. - as from dictionary-Posterior blepharitis can be caused by irregular oil production by the glands of the eyelids (meibomian blepharitis) which creates a favorable environment for bacterial growth. It can also develop as a result of other skin conditions such as acne rosacea and scalp dandruff.

mdelrosario91

(0) Hearts

Ooh, I have that on my left eye! Is that bad? I'm asymptomatic though..

manniface

It probably isn't a sty then- it could be Blepharitis, where you have clogged pores that secrete oil and stuff so that your eye and eyelid have lubrication and can slide against each other. It is usually clogged with things like dust or dirt or skin cells or makeup I believe. So you could try laying off eye makeup completely for a few weeks as well as doing warm wet compresses at night (use a fresh washcloth each time). Do some googling on Blepharitis for more information but if it is really bad: itchy and dry you may want to see an eye doctor as there could be a bacterial infection as well.

---Definatly lay off of heavy eye makeup though and when you finally start waring it again you should proabaly do the wet eyeshade trick. 

sace021

(0) Hearts

I agree with other posters that there are other possibilities, but always be sure to use a reliable source if you are trying to google.  There's so much bad info out there!  Blepharitis typically has inflammation, crusting and scaling and is usually itchy.  It can be bacterial, related to dandruff (seborrheic dermatitis), etc.  If it's not just a normal stye and you suspect an infection, please see a professional! 

sace021

We have little sebaceous glands lining our "waterline" area.  These glands secrete oil and are there to provide lubrication for our eye and eyelid.  Styes can form whenever these glands get blocked because a blockage essentially traps bacteria inside.  It's actually probably not the safest thing for us to line our waterline so you may have better luck just lining the lash line above/below the lashes.  Some eyeliners are not formulated to be used on the waterline, they may be to thick or irritating.  If you're trying ones that are meant for the waterline, be sure to wash all traces off when you go to bed.  But as others mentioned, if you have an active infection, avoid eye makeup as it can become contaminated.  Check for common ingredients you may be allergic to and good luck in your search!!

tashalicious

(0) Hearts

i would just use mascara on my lower lashes and the wet shadow technique sirenprincess suggested, making sure you clean off all of your eye makeup is another good suggestion.

jojobe

(0) Hearts

It is not necessary to line your waterline. It all comes off in a few hours anyways, I would try maybe a cake liner and tightline the lash line. It could be the wax in the pencil is clogging the oil duct there as well and so wearing a product in your waterline should probably be avoided. No need to stop wearing eyeliner all together! 

spoiledbrat

Andy, stys are caused by bacteria. If your sister develops a sty while using an eyeliner or mascara, they both need to be thrown away. Any product that she touched with her fingers needs to sanitized or tossed.

SirenPrincess

What about trying a dark shadow with a wet liner brush?  It can give you the look of liquid eyeliner without the liquid.  Maybe since it's just shadow it wouldn't irritate your eyes as much.

andyhtrieu

It might be because you don't take off all of your eyeliner. My sister gets a sty whenever she doesn't take off her mascara completely. Try cleaning your eyes twice and see if that helps

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

I know about cleaning makeup, but how do you clean your eyes? those water squirt things in biology classes? o.O

sace021

(0) Hearts

Lol, so funny beautytester.  I think warm compresses are recommended for most small styes.  I wouldn't go putting soap on my eye...just gentle eye makeup remover =)  If it's much worse than that, an ophthalmologist/medicine is probably in order.  Don't play with your eyes ladies and gents, just look at poor Bob Costas at the Olympics!

jojobe

(0) Hearts

I get them in my right eye only...ever... they cannot figure out why except they flare up badly when I eat a lot of refined sugar. It's my body's outlet for the buildup I guess. They got so bad at one point I had thrown out over 500.00 worth of makeup and skincare products and started from scratch-- Finally when I found out my great grandmother had the same problem, I quit throwing everything away and now I only get them on occasion when I eat sweets. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 18 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • spoiledbrat
    • jojobe
    • aviscardi
    • sace021
    • ChicDabbler
    • manniface