cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

Eyelash Extensions -- Makeup Needed!

Hi!

Does anyone with eyelash extensions have a list of mascaras, makeup removers, eyeliners & lid primers that are safe to use?

Thanks!

Re: Eyelash Extensions -- Makeup Needed!

Hi @aantic !  I’ve had lash extensions for years.  I absolutely love them.  I don’t normally use mascara on my top lashes (where the extensions are) since I usually have my fills done approximately every 3 weeks.

However, if I need a little extra oomph for a special occasion, or if I end up pushing my fill appointment out an extra week and need a little mascara touch up towards the end, I use NovaLash mascara.  It’s made specifically for lash extensions and has vitamins in it to condition and nourish your lashes.  My bottom lashes are a different story, and I frequently use mascara on my bottom lashes (no extensions on my bottoms).  For my bottom lashes I use Hourglass Caution.  Whatever brand of mascara that you like to use, just make sure it’s oil free and water soluble.  Oil-based mascara will dissolve the glue/ bonding agent used for your extensions.  Don’t use any waterproof mascara on your lashes!

For my eyeliner, I usually use eyeshadow as a liner.  Pencils can be rough on lash extensions.  If I do use an eyeliner instead of eyeshadow, I usually cheat and use either Clinique Quickliner, or a very soft-tipped liner like Tarte So Fine Microliner, or Benefit Rollerliner.  However, both of these are waterproof.  Beauty Garde makes a liner that’s specifically made for lash extensions.  I don’t find that my liner makes much of a difference in my lash extension ‘life’, but I do use eyeshadow as my liner most of the time.

Two of the biggest tips I’ve discovered for making my extensions look better for longer:

1.  Avoid messing with them, as much as possible.  This includes wearing mascara.  The more you mess with them, the quicker you’ll need a fill.  Use a lash brush/wand to carefully and gently fluff/ separate when you’re doing your eye makeup, and then leave them alone as much as you can the rest of the time.  Be very gentle with them when you clean them, and don’t pull or tug.

2.  Learn how to sleep with your face halfway off of your pillow.  I use a feather pillow,  but it would probably work fine with a regular one.  The more you rub your eyes/ face into your pillow, the harder it is on your extensions.  Of course, if you’re a back sleeper, you’ve already aced this lol.  They do make special pillows specifically for lash extensions, but I don’t think they justify their high price tag.

I absolutely second using q-tips for taking off your eye makeup!

I used to have eyelash extensions.  When I had them I avoided using mascara unless I absolutely had to (like when it was close to needing a fill/touch-up) because using mascara would make the extensions fall out faster.  I also switched to using Kat Von D's Trooper liner as it seemed a little easier on the eyes/extensions vs using pencils or liner that required a brush due to the tugging those products sometimes require when applying. Primers I always patted on with my pointer or pinkie (I used Urban Decay's eyeshadow primer). And as far as eye makeup remover I used Kate Somerville's eye makeup remover because it was super sensitive and helped lash growth since lashes take a bit of a beating with extensions on top of them.  I also recommend using q-tips to rub off eye makeup gently - do not rub your eyes or rub them in circles with cotton pads, etc because that'll wear down the extensions more.

@aantic I haven't had them myself, but I've read that is is essential to use makeup that is NOT waterproof.  As for makeup remover, I like MUFE, but I've heard rave reviews for Maybelline which is a far less expensive product.

Anonymous Insider

Thank you for asking that question. I got extensions and will keep them up because for one I do not like putting on and taking off mascara and secondly they just look better. My god given lashes are short and the extensions accent my eyes. So happy this is available to enhance my aging face! LOL

I am going to head over to Sephora tomorrow to get more information. Tried to use their online chat without success.

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing