InkBlots

Eye shadow keeps melting off... even with primer.

(0) Hearts

Hallo everyone.

So for the past couple weeks, my eye shadow keeps melting off. I use primer all the time, even on days when I don't wear shadow because I tend to get oily lids and primer usually helps with that. For about 5-6 months now, I've been using the Urban Decay shadow primer in Eden.

Now, eye shadow typically lasts all day on my lids with primer, even in the summer. It's starting to get cool here for winter, so you'd think it wouldn't melt off. I can't figure out what's causing it. I've ruled out the eye shadows because I've worn them all before and they never melted off. I thought maybe my UD primer was expiring (it says 6 months on the back of the tube, not sure if that really matters though), so I even went out and bought another primer I've used before that works (Elf). Still melted.

So I don't think it's any of the products. I'm wondering if it's from either a) the heat in my workplace, b) staring at a computer screen for hours at work (I work as a data entry clerk atm), or c) if my eyelids are just more oily than usual. I'm kind of doubting that last one, but hey, never know.

If anyone has any tips, let me know! It's much appreciated!

calamityjane85

Re: Eye shadow keeps melting off... even with primer.

(0) Hearts

That is odd, try a setting spray or fix plus  liberally on a flat eye brush and pat it directly on the eye shadow to seal it.  

Wonder why it changed suddenly, could hormones be a factor? 

rikkie

(0) Hearts

Do you think it's possible you're starting to have too much stuff on your eyes and it's causing it to come off? Primer + cream shadow + powder shadow + natural oils from your lids could just be too much going on. Maybe try applying with a light hand and seeing if it could be something like that? I know I've heard peoples' skincare stories happening a similar way, like piling on the primer and the setting powder and liquid and powder foundation and then realizing that all that product was actually helping their makeup to slide off through the day. Who knows!

knadala

(0) Hearts

Try using primer, cream shadow as your base, applying your shadow, and then spritzing a light mist of setting spray from UD.

Hope that helps :smileyhappy:

InkBlots

(0) Hearts

I tried something similar yesterday. :smileyhappy: Primer, very light-colored cream shadow as base, powder shadow on top, and of course UD's De-Slick all over my face. While it didn't completely prevent my makeup from creasing and smudging, it made it last a lot longer.

sunflower837

(0) Hearts

Hi!  My BFF has a similar problem and taught me her trick - on top of her UD Primer Potion, she (and now I) layers MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre on top.  THEN set it with a powder of some sort, then apply eyeshadow.  

It keeps my eyes looking like I just put on my makeup and keeps hers in place.

InkBlots

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hmm, y'know, I was thinking of using some kind of nude color (preferably something closer to the color of my skin tone) as a base and then putting whatever color over it. Not sure about the setting powder, but it's definitely something to try. :smileyhappy:

m0sh

(0) Hearts

hey i actually have the same problem. 

the cause of excessive oiliness around the eyelid could be due to the environment you're in or, your eyelids could be just naturally really oily, which is my problem. This is all about finding the right product for you and also, if you are using an eye cream during the day, do not apply it during the day, that could be the cause of the oiliness. 

I have tried many primers and my favorite eye primer is too faced. Originally I loved the mac eye primer that i got 3 years ago but they reformulated it so, it's not as good as before so i kept switching around and finally found the right one for me, which is the too faced, but I have a trick to make my shadow last longer, which is using the mac paint pot on top of my primer like what sunflower837 does, or you can just set it directly with a powder but it's not as long lasting as using the mac paint pot shadow. You should try this and let us know how it goes. 

also, if you want to apply a setting spray, I swear by skindinavia. look it up and try it, you may not like it when you try it, like i said it's about finding the right product for you. I have tried all the setting sprays from skindinavia, my favorite one would be the original, since i feel like the bridal finish somehow does almost the same. 

carolang

(0) Hearts

You know, I was just admiring how my eyeshadow stayed on extra well today (looked in mirror after 8 hours). My lids are quite oily. Urban decay's eye primers don't last more than 3-4 hours on me (I swear by bareMinerals brightening pearl - its shimmery opal color so the eyeshadow colors really stand out). ANYWAYS I sit in front of a monitor when I work and I cannot get up or look away from the screen as I am looking at live patient data gathered during surgery. My eyes are wide open staring straight at the screen. I think it really is the fact you're focusing your vision forward more than usual... Because in that position your eyes are creased. I neverreallythought about it before until now that my eyeshadow creases more quickly on the days I work. I have very curly eyelashes too and it always transfers when I work but rarely when I'm at home just doing things around the house, kind of emphasizing the point that you're eyes vary their position more when your focus isn't on one thing (monitor in this instance!).

InkBlots

(0) Hearts

That makes sense. Also, the lids are more or less folded into this position that doesn't allow for much air. No "ventilation," plus body temperature, means heat and oil, which would lead to creasing and smudging.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

It's possible the lids are more oily, and it's possible it's the computer thing altho I'm not sure how to fix that. Aside from rubbing your eyes without realizing (I actually do this quite often and don't realize until I see the strip of black/shimmer on my finger and then I'm like "awwww, darn."...err, where was I.........oh right, the brushes. Did you change brush or the way you use/wash the brushes? I usually clean my brush with foamy cleanser but decided to try oil cleanser once, I would NOT recommend it, it just....no.

InkBlots

(0) Hearts

I use a bar of soap to clean my brushes. I find that works better than actual brush cleanser and gets all the makeup out faster. As for application, I typically start with a little applicator, then use a shading brush to blend out.

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

I know this sounds stupid, but is there any way you're rubbing your eyes at the new job without even realizing it?

InkBlots

(0) Hearts

Nope, I'm mostly typing, and my hands never touch my face while I'm there.

kittichick

(0) Hearts

I guess the question is what changed a couple weeks ago?

All I can think to suggest is try a different primer. I get oily lids too and I really liked Tarte's Clean Slate 360 eye primer. It's more of a liquid than UD's and yet it's more drying. With my oily lids, it's been my favorite so far.

InkBlots

(0) Hearts

I started working a temp job as a data entry clerk a couple weeks ago, and it seems that I've been having issues with my eye makeup since. The only shadow I have that actually stays put is one of the Hard Candy All Lid Up singles.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • emmaclaire
    • ChicDabbler
    • sunflower837
    • rikkie
    • carolang
    • kittichick