placaminero

Does your eyeliner smudge onto your contacts?

[ Edited ]

I've gotten to the point where I hardly wear eyeliner anymore, because it seems to just keep smudging onto my contacts. Which, in turn, blinds me, for all intents and purposes. It's gotten quite frustrating and I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem?

I primarily use UD's 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil, but I've tried other pencils and have had the same problem. It's hit or miss, doesn't happen every single time.. But too often to be a fluke. I'm not an eye-rubber at all (due to a debilitating fear of eyeball germies), so that's not the problem. Sometimes it'll happen minutes after I apply liner and sometimes it'll happen after a few hours.

I'm not a fan of liquid or gel liners, but if that's what it takes, I might consider making the switch. But I'm afraid to invest in new eyeliner products, only to suffer the same fate.

Urbie

Re: Does your eyeliner smudge onto your contacts?

(0) Hearts

I've been wearing contacts since I was 11- I prefer to use a liquid or gel liner since they don't really smudge, although sometimes I accidentally "paint" my contact when applying the gel liner!  Be careful applying the the inner corner of the eye if you do us a pencil, and avoid the water line, since that is usually where it travels from!

ivyxox

(0) Hearts

I wear contact lenses and eyeliner everyday, I don't find it to be a problem at all. Try MUFE aqua liner, it dries to a film texture and doesn't move all all!

mdelrosario91

(0) Hearts

I also wear contacts. The liners I use to apply on both waterlines are the Rimmel kohl kajals. They're cheap and have never given me an issue, except when I'm not careful and poke my eyeball :smileyvery-happy: oops!

dollface131313

(0) Hearts

i would give liquid liner a try i've never had any problems with my liquid liner and my contacts but i don't do the waterline with it . i use the anastasia of beverly hills liner when i do line my waterline i haven't had issues with that one yet .

fina89

(0) Hearts

I have been wearing my contacts for about 7 years now and only since the last 6 months have I been experiencing this cloudiness with water lining  pencils - so annoying!!! I was previously using UD 24/7 and I absolutely loved it but all of the sudden I can never wear it due to the fogginess that comes after applying. I don't know why this sudden change occurred… I'm going to experiment with a few different liners [possibly gel] and let you guys now what, if anything, works for me. This forum was very helpful and so nice to know it is not just me! :smileyhappy:

MysticalAngel

(0) Hearts

All the time!!!! When it happens I just pop into the bathroom, take out the contact that is smudged with eyeliner and rinse it out with the contact solution.

jtothelg

(0) Hearts

Hello! I'm just finding this post now after googling "urban decay 24/7 liner flakes onto contacts."  Were you ever able to solve this problem?  I have been using UD 24/7 pencil liner for several years now - I  normally use zero and never ever had a problem with flaking, but recently tried perversion because I like the slightly darker black and now all of the sudden I'm getting smudges!  I just had to throw out an almost brand new pair of contacts because of it.  The other odd thing is, I have been wearing perversion for just over a week now, and the smudging just started last night.  

Any insight is appreciated!

Missie772

(0) Hearts

Smudging happens when the liner gets too soft. I pop them in the fridge so it can firm up a bit before I put them on.

And no matter what, do not use makeup remover on your contacts... AT ALL. I tried that to get the smudges off of my brand new contacts. It left an oily residue on the lens... boo!!!

glossyguru

(0) Hearts

I've had the same problem with the 24/7 liners on my tight line, but I can use them on my waterline if i'm careful. On my tight line, I've used the Sephora brand retractable liners and they've never failed me

carolang

(0) Hearts

Yep, have the same issue. I don't line my waterline because of it. I just wiggle the liner in between my lashes and try to use something middle of the road creamy (so my bareMinerals liners are too creamy, and I find that UD liners are fine smudged in between the lash line).

I personally just gave up on the waterline also for sanitary reasons it kind of creeps me out a little haha. And I have small eyes so I probably shouldn't anyways!

Good luck finding a better option, I never even really thought about this but yes the blurry vision from eye liner sucks! I soak them overnight if it happens and then gently rub with my finger the next day to lift debris. Probably not the best way to deal with it haha.

abrex771

(0) Hearts

I am having the same problem but I think it is either my primer (Urban Decay) or my concealer (MUFE Full Coverage) since the smudges are always beige oily smears. Any advice for better primers and/or concealers?

calamityjane85

(0) Hearts

I found that the marc jacobs highliner gel crayon works beautifully on the tightline and waterline without getting smudges on my contacts.

I had the problem with a film ( like a little foggy spot) on my contacts and it was irritating me so bad I was burning through so many pairs. I was cleaning them like crazy and just wearing myself out, switching cleaners, solution, cases you name it. I asked my dr and he said it was protein buildup, so I switched to one a day contacts, and im not having the problem anymore, regardless of which liner i choose for the day. ( not sure if that is anything like your situation, just mentioning what worked for me)

dianabt

(0) Hearts

Happy to help you out! :smileyhappy: Try a few different ones and see how they work- I'm ok using the new UD liners and the clinique brush on but allergies I think are to blame for my instances. =p

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
dianabt

(0) Hearts

@Placaminero, The Too Faced one is GREAT for lining on the lash line or outside. On the waterline its not the best but I've swapped a LOT of pencils out in place for it since it's easier to work with and I never have to worry about residue left on my lenses. Trust me, I've ruined many a pair of contacts from that same issue. :smileysad: It's always been my liners too and not the mascara!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
dianabt

Hi Placaminero,

I've been wearing contacts for at least 15 years now and have the SAME issue. It can be so difficult when you try to use lens soap and even THOSE don't work to remove the buildup! :smileysad:

I also realized it does also depend on what formula and finish you are using and also if you have allergies or live in a windy or dry area.

I've had great luck with the following:

Lancome Le Stylo Waterproof Liner

Clinique Brush on Cream liner (amazing if you line the waterline)

Urban Decay 24/7 Liners (the reformulated ones are fantastic!)

Plus I usually stick to all matte liners which have less chance of smudging or smearing like a shimmer or creamy liner will do.

Do you line the water line at all? The 3 above are great to keep that from ending on your contacts but I also recommend that if you don't line the waterline, look at the Clinique Brush on Cream liner which is super rich in pigment and stays in place for hours, as well as the Too Faced 3 Way Lining Tool.

Clinique - Brush-On Cream Liner Too Faced - 3 - Way Lash Lining Tool

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
placaminero

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Yay, someone understands my plight! I've found that the only way to get the smudge cleaned off my lenses is just to let them soak overnight and then try scrubbing it off. If I don't soak, it's a lost cause!

I don't have any allergies at all and I live in a pretty temperate location. Not too windy, not too dry. As for what I use, it's primarily UD's 24/7 in Perversion, right on the waterline. I just got a brand new one too, for fear that maybe my old one was somehow tainted. Alas, same results. But I think I might try lining the outer lids now. I'll look into some of the other liners everyone has mentioned, though I'm going to miss everything else about the Glide-On (other than the smudge factor).

Thanks so much everyone!

katie1724

Hmm -- as Lylysa asked, are you tightlining / applying the liner to the inner lash lines? I wear contacts and I wear eyeliner daily, and I have never had this issue, but I usually only apply it to the outer lids. Sometimes my mascara will flake and fall into my contacts, and that's annoying -- but never my eyeliner. If this continues to be an issue, I would avoid liners with any particles like sparkle or shimmer  / anything that might flake (I'm not sure what you're currently using) and maybe stick to a felt-tipped eyeliner, which tend to be more like a stain / dry faster, or a gel.

placaminero

(0) Hearts

Hmm, I've never had any problems with my mascara in relation to my contacts. Yikes. Yes, I do line the waterlines. I've never lined outside, but maybe I should start trying if it'll save me from completely clouding my contacts. But I don't typically use any liners that have any sort of sparkle or shimmer. My go-to liner is UD's 24/7 in Perversion. I have wondered about the felt tipped eyeliners. I might have to check them out.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Totally forgot to add that I'm a contact lens wearer too, and hard contacts at that!

lylysa

Are you applying your liner on your waterline/inner lash lines? If so, try placing your liner on the outside of inner lash line to prevent direct contact with your eye.

Gel formulas tend to dry a bit quicker if you do wear liner on the inner rim (Smashbox Jet Set) compared to creamier formulas like the UD pencils.

Also, depending on how far you line into the inner corner can have an effect as well, sometimes liner on the inner rim will migrate and cause little eye boogies or even some liner displacement, rather than draw a solid line to the inner rim, try lining just the lower half or lower 3/4 of the lash line and softly smudging it inward so not as much product is on that area.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • MysticalAngel
    • dollface131313
    • ivyxox