1cros3nail4givn

Do I reallllly need to throw out my mascara after 3 months?

So I buy minis of mascaras because even though I use my mascara almost every day I can't seem to use it up.....it's been 5 months now that I have had my mini benefit they're real and I still think it works just fine. I really want to try to use it up or at least wait till it dries out. Do I have to throw it away?? :smileysad:

janinebt

Re: Do I reallllly need to throw out my mascara after 3 months?

The absolute max that you should hold on to a mascara is 6 months. I totally feel your pain I'm really not looking forward to tossing my Dior Blackout mascara this month :smileysad:.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
kssweetheart

[ Edited ]

@1cros3nail4givn - Are we twins separated at birth? Cause you're living my life! :smileywink:

Too funny.

1cros3nail4givn

(0) Hearts

Hahaha maybe :smileywink: 

carrieloulou

(0) Hearts

I'm more around 6 months.  I should probably do it sooner...

I do try to never open a sample or a back up mascara until I'm ready to use it. It's very tempting to open and check out the wand, the consistency...but I hold back. 

sp2001

all the mascaras ive gotten from Sephora say 6m, so i say 6 months should be ok 

katie1724

I usually finish mascara in about three months (or less), so I never really have this issue. I use it daily (a few layers), so I go through it before it spoils. Like others have mentioned, though, you'll definitely want to toss it if it starts to dry out, clumps or changes smell (you'll know when it changes smell!). 

midnightangel

You're fine until the consistency starts to change. Then it won't work like it's supposed to. You'll know when it starts to dry out, get clumpy, not go on smoothly, etc. Using 5 month old mascara certainly won't kill you.

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

i always switch out every 3 mons, i think the longest ive gone is 4mons. usually for the bottom mascara i will sometimes stretch to 6mons as i don't always use it daily. But currently i am using 2 mascaras so i will switch it out after 6mons. 

kssweetheart

I think you might have a little wiggle room with the 3 month rule if...

*you don't use it every day

*you close it really tight

*you don't 'pump' the wand into and out of the tube, that's the worst thing you can do, you just add bacteria galore when you do that

*the smell doesn't change

I also write the date on it when I open it. Think **okaylady2013's** idea of simply doing it the 1st of every quarter is a great idea, especially if you use it daily.

So, I think there's a bit of flexibility there. Hope this helped make the 3 month rule a little less annoying.

snowshoe

I once had a bad eye infection...I wasn't sure what the exact cause of it, but since then I'm religious about rotating out old eye makeup.  I write the date of  opening on the mascara bottle with a Sharpie and toss it after 3 months regardless of how much remains.  It does hurt, especially if it's an expensive mascara or one that I hardly used.  But that eye infection hurt far more.

oklady2013

I just change mine out the 1st day of each quarter along with my toothbrush. so January 1, April 1, July 1, October 1.

Heatoyos1

I'm actually thinking of labeling the date that I open my mascaras, kind of like I do with the condiment bottles in my fridge. Otherwise, I can never remember!

1cros3nail4givn

What I just started doing (since I just threw out all my old ones and opened all my new ones) is the day I open them I put an event in my calendar on my phone for three months from then and put the name of the mascara and set a reminder for the event.

swanbeauty

Good idea!!

DTalksAll

I use a label maker and just print out the date opened on them. I need to do this for minis too. I try to be good & not open a tube of mascara until I'm ready to use it, but sometimes I get caught up in my hauls & well... things happen :smileytongue: 

swanbeauty

Ha ha!!  I get swept up too sometimes!!  And then I feel like I need to wear mascara everyday and everywhere!!

1cros3nail4givn

Or an expiration date is a good idea. I think I would pay attention to that more.

mpolansky

In a different thread someone mentioned to change mascara with the seasons. That way you don't have to remember an exact date :smileyhappy:

(Sorry I wish I knew which one of you said it so I could give you the credit!)

Heatoyos1

Thanks, if I started my current mascara at the beginning of the season, I would do just that. :smileyhappy:

islandqt

I guess I'm pretty bad... I have so many mascaras that I use for different looks and so far so good. I'm the only one who uses my Mascara and I insist on getting my money's worth lol! I usually go by smell and consistency in order to know if it's time to throw it away.

I agree that minis are a great way to go. They are also easier to use in my opinion. Shorter wand = better control.

Ultimately I keep my mascara shut tight until I am ready to use it and I NEVER pump the wand. That forces air and bacteria into the tube and will make it go bad faster.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 95 replies
  • 167 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • islandqt
    • spoiledbrat