1cros3nail4givn

Do I reallllly need to throw out my mascara after 3 months?

So I buy minis of mascaras because even though I use my mascara almost every day I can't seem to use it up.....it's been 5 months now that I have had my mini benefit they're real and I still think it works just fine. I really want to try to use it up or at least wait till it dries out. Do I have to throw it away?? :smileysad:

CaitlinBrunson

Re: Do I reallllly need to throw out my mascara after 3 months?

(0) Hearts

Any disposable wand will work. I just go into Sephora, ask the SA and get them for free.

swanbeauty

I'm gonna say yes to #1 here... 

Anything you put on your eyes and can't clean (you can sanitize solid eyeliners and keep on top of brushes for liquids and shadows), you should try to adhere to this 3 month rule.  

It is basically like you use the wand in reverse of putting on mascara.  You are picking up some of those bacteria from your lashes and depositing them back into the tube every time you use your product.  Does this make sense??

1cros3nail4givn

How do you sanitize cream pencil eyeliners?

swanbeauty

Usually I wipe them on a Purell type wet wipe, but you can also use a napkin/paper towel and alcohol/Purell.

mpolansky

I can only answer #2, but yes they had a Sephora Favorites Lash Stash set for $45! I looked in my purchase history and it says sold out :/ You might want to check in store and in SiJCP stores! I believe the SiJCP mascara set was different and less expensive but I can't remember. Ulta also has a mascara set out right now.

1cros3nail4givn

(0) Hearts

Ooo I'll have to check the SiJCP one. And I guess Ulta too....I haven't decided if I like ulta stores just yet.

mpolansky

Of course the Lash Stash comes in stock the next day.... @1cros3nail4givn here it is if you wanted to see it. Sorry @SydBristow :smileysad: I know you got a few different sets instead. I hope they work for you!

http://www.sephora.com/lash-stash-P382576

1cros3nail4givn

(0) Hearts

Yesss! Thank you for letting me know this! :smileyhappy:

mpolansky

(0) Hearts

In my opinion the Sephora sets are way better. The Ulta one has 3 mini mascaras, one full size, and two eyeliners. It's called The Perfect Wink Eye Collection for $30 if you want to look it up on Ulta's website.

Londonlover101

(0) Hearts

no way ive had my mini benefit theyre real mascara for about the same time too! its too cute to throw away!

jennypenny1995

As a nurse that deals with microbiology every day of my career, I can say YES.  Personally, I change mine with the change of season so that it's easy to remember when I last did it.  Why?  Yes, your product will dry out even without daily or regular use, but the real reason is that your eyes are not sterile.  The first time you apply the wand to your eye area brings bacteria back into the tube.  Over time, that bacteria feeds off the product and air.

So, yes, change it out every 3 months.  Be safe & smart!

lecia1167

I got this tip from one of the ladies at the MAC counter: Do not pump the wand into the tube numerous times. Just once for each application. This helps your mascara last longer.

mychoi

Actually, you can get the same amount on the wands by swirling once. It doesn't inject all that air into your mascaras, drying them out and stuff. :smileyhappy:

1cros3nail4givn

Yeah I usually just stick my wand back into the tub and swirl it but I still end up doing that again for each layer I apply.

mychoi

I just flip my wand over to the unused side. 

One side for both lashes, other side to go back over them 

1cros3nail4givn

(0) Hearts

Oh, yep, that's an idea. Lol.

cutiecocolove

(0) Hearts

i dont use mascara everyday,, i use them for special events, which is like very other month so so i still have to throw it away?

starletta8

Yes!  It has nothing to do with how often you use it, it has to do with the risk of infection.

CaitlinBrunson

[ Edited ]

YES! With pumping and air exposure, Mascara goes bad the quickest then any other makeup. It was always told to me that the ABSOLUTE max to throw out is 3 but it ranged from 1-3 months. You can get eye infections! I have seen WAYY too many of these! I've also seen people share mascara wands with the same wand (germaphobe in me freaking out inside!) I get the disposable wands and use those. I know, I have a problem but please throw it out! You really do not want dust and bacteria around your eye!!!

Edit - also, if you want to use your own wand and keep clean - after use I would remove all of the product from your wand and spray with rubbing alcohol to disinfect. I find using a disposable wand easier but that is if you want to use your own wand. 

1cros3nail4givn

(0) Hearts

Oh that's an idea you could clean off the brush each time, I wonder how long mascara would last then. However I'm not sure I'd have that much time and it would be a real pain cleaning it for each mascara every day.

CaitlinBrunson

(0) Hearts

Reason why I use disposable. Also saves the awkward cringe if a friends needs to borrow it. Throw them a disposable wand and done. As long as you don't double dip!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 95 replies
  • 165 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • islandqt
    • spoiledbrat