jojobe

Dark Underyes AKA: bags

Okay, I have seen this question pop up multiple times everyday. I have been in the same boat trying to hide those pesky dark circles. Here are a few facts that I have encountered on my research that I thought may be helpful because we can try to cover them all we want but the truth is like every other beauty concern, it stems from something else. Biggest factor is by far diet and dehydration. They are often times caused by lack of magnesium, excess of sodium, indicators of thyroid or heart disease, poor diet, food or hayfever allergies, genetics, lack of sleep just to name a few. I have found that having a food allergy panel done has been a great help. There is not much you can do for them to hide other than correct and conceal - the best you can. Cool cucumbers or a depuffing serum chilled is often helpful but nothing except finding the cause is going to eliminate them.
ChicDabbler

Re: Dark Underyes AKA: bags

(0) Hearts

Am I the only one who did not like the GlamGlow eye thing? I suppose they did depuff a bit and I can't speak for the brightening effect, but my eyes always feel a dull uncomfortableness the second day, I think it might be due to dehydration but not sure......personally I like Origins No Puffery eye mask better, but it's not carried in Sephora anymore. =(

mpolansky

Nope you're not the only one. Didn't do much for me either

cpeezy

(0) Hearts

I have been using samples of the Glamglow eye mask treatment and found that they really work for me. I saw results instantly, while they didn't last longer than a couple days and the product is pretty pricy but I would use it before going on vacation or a special event. 

I also like the Clinique even better dark circle corrector, while not a complete fix, I do notice my circles get worse when I forget to use it for a couple days. Also, I like that I can use this product on my lid to help lid discoloration!

mdelrosario91

Very informative post! I totally agree on hayfever allergies causing dark circles.  I consider myself very lucky and very thankful to not have any dark circles.  I had really bad allergies one time, when I was sneezing 20-30 times a day.  I woke up a day after it started and saw dark circles under my eyes, and was so horrified! But as soon as my allergies went away (almost a week), my dark circles went away! Thank goodness!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

I still don't know what caused those allergies though.  I rarely get allergies, and this was during fall.

ry22

(0) Hearts

So you are saying eating chocolate (it has magnesium) makes me prettier? Yes!!!!!

upload_6375965057656908201.jpg

onomotopoeia9

(0) Hearts

Good to know!!!

Now I won't feel so guilty next time I'm at a movie and by mistake finish a jumbo pack of Hersheys...

jojobe

Absolutely! Maybe I should just directly apply it as a mask and see how that works! * off to find some chocolate*

kristallovesdogs

Great post, Jojobe!  It's nice to know there's a lot of us out here trying to fix our poor peepers!  I believe my dark circles are causes by simply aging.  I never had them before, unless I had allergies or a sleepless night, but then I hit 30 and it was like they appeared over night.  In my case, it's simply the skin under my eye thinning as I age and the blood vessels being closer to the surface of the skin and more visible, so I've been using creams that help stimulate collagen and fat in that area.  Also, I have sensitive skin, so I have to be careful not to overdo it or they get irritated.  It's a fine line.  I swear by Caudalie Premier Cru (SO expensive, but works like beautiful magic beans) and Kinerase C8 Peptide Under Eye, which Sephora used to sell but they discontinued the whole Kinerase line. 

andyhtrieu

That's true, you can't reverse the darkness or get rid of them at all. You can only conceal and brighten. Yet tons of brands have products that claim to get rid of your dark circles completely! 

sparklekai

my dark circles are caused by lack of sleep and dehydration....pretty easy to reverse as long as i sleep and drink enough water

onomotopoeia9

(0) Hearts

In other words maybe not so easy to reverse :smileyhappy: its simple in theory but it can be difficult getting enough sleep. Although I must attest, when I was on a 2 week vacation, I caught up on a lot of sleep and the differences in my eye area and overall skin condition was drastic! Its my biggest incentive to getting to bed on time...

sparklekai

(0) Hearts

lol!! it's easy enough...i just have to get off the computer!!!  fb will be there tomorrow!

jojobe

You are wrong you can reverse them and even get rid of them completely the only way to tell if they are genetic is to get tested and do a full health workup. MIne have been nearly eliminated by diet alone..

Urbie

andyhtrieu, that is not at all what jojobe said.  If you actually read her post, you can see that she said you need to figure out the root cause of the dark circles in order to improve them, not that you cannot reverse or get rid of them.  There are actually a long list of ways that you can improve dark circles under your eyes- lylysa has a really great post on how to find the correct product for your specific dark circles (I can't find it right now), and you also need to address diet, sleep, and hydration. 

BrennaBombshell

I've had some excellent luck with the Boscia Enlivening AG-Amino eye treatment. I've had horrible dark circles under my eyes my whole life, even as a child, but in the two weeks since I've started using it, I haven't even had to use concealer under my eyes anymore. It may not completely get rid of the dark circles, but it certainly has made a huge, huge difference. Even my boyfriend, who isn't much for noticing things like that, told me that my eyes look much brighter lately.

ChicDabbler

*puts Boscia eye treatment on the love list* I had a sample of it and rather like it, but I'm using my full size Origins Plantiscription right now, so it's gonna be a while before I buy again, but guess now I know what I'm buying next. =)

sparklekai

jojobe!!!!  where were you this morning when i was dealing with my suitcases?

jojobe

I told you to use the glamglow pods...geeze!

onomotopoeia9

(0) Hearts

*note to self: try those glamglow things!

rjamlt

(0) Hearts

I bring those little babies with me everytime I travel. There is something about flying and the next morning that my eyes hate! the little pods seriously help not make me look like I just left an all-night keg party. Miracle workers they are. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 39 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • marydiva
    • kristallovesdogs
    • jojobe
    • ry22
    • ChicDabbler
    • onomotopoeia9