lovebaking123

Best Mascara?

[ Edited ]

I know that this question has been asked countless times before, but I wanted to ask it again based on what I wanted. I've tried many mascaras and the one big problem I have with them is that they clump my eyelashes, and if they don't clump they aren't volumizing enough for me. I guess what I'd really be looking for is clump free and volumizing. I've included a picture of one of my eyes completely make up free, maybe that will help give a better sense of what I'm starting with? 

I've tried:

- Benefit They're Real (Sorry to say I hated it - clumped my eyelashes)

- Covergirl Clump Crusher (good for separating clumps - not enough volume)

- CoverGirl Lash Blast (same reason as above)

- Rimmel Scandal Eyes (clumped my eyelashes)

I was considering Too Faced Better than Sex or the Rimmel Lash Accelerator.

What do you think? Any help is appreciated. :smileyhappy:

.IMG_2225.JPG

marydiva

Re: Best Mascara?

(0) Hearts

Too-Faced Better Than Sex! It's hands down the best product I've ever used. 

lovebaking123

(0) Hearts

Thanks for all of the replies! I am going to read up some reviews on these. I am most likely going to sephora on sunday, so I'll probably buy one then.

kelsey808

(0) Hearts

YSL Babydoll has been the best I've tried by far. I have a ton of really long lashes (you look like you do too!) and everything has seemed to clump on them. The only other mascara that's even come close has been Laura Mercier's Full Blown Volume (still really like it!). Also, I've found that with both of them you can apply multiple coats throughout the day and still no clumps so I would recommend trying those two out (:

mberteig

(0) Hearts

Wow, you have very long lashes!  I like to use a lash primer (tarte is my current love) and then layer 2 mascaras, one for length first, and then one for volume.

As part of my evening skincare routine, I've been using the Rimmel Lash Accelerator serum on my upper lashes and I think it is working, as they are definitely longer and seem more full.

I like Maybelline Lash Stiletto or Full and Soft for length.  I apply a couple of coats of those.  Then, for volume, I like Maybelline the Falsies, Jordana Extreme Volume or Too Faced Better than Sex.  I apply a couple of coats of one of those. 

I agree with the other comments that some of these mascaras are thicker, but to me, that makes them easier to apply.  I can't stand wet, gloppy formulations that make a mess and give spidery results.  In my opinion, the benefit, Dior and the other Too Faced formulas (except Better than Sex) fall into this category.  I also found out that if your mascara is getting too thick, it may be time to replace it with a new one.  I just replaced all of mine after several months.

Then, I use the tweezerman lash comb to carefully comb through my lashes.  I usually don't get much clumping, but this helps to separate.  Don't poke yourself in the eye!  (Ask me how I know, haha!)

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

wow those lashes look awesome in the pic!

Well, I love YSL Volum Effet Babydoll... but then I liked They're Real because it DIDN'T clump on me.

I liked Better Than Sex, and I also like Givenchy Maxi Lash -- but I liked the YSL Brush best because it really combed and separated, and the formula is liquid enough that it doesn't clump or spider much for me.

jellybean917

Diorshow is volumizing without being clumpy. You have gorgeous lashes btw :smileyhappy:

mafan

Sorry, I can't really help (although the tips interest me).  I do like Lancome's lash primer.  Personally, I'm happy when I can get my very blonde, straight lashes to look something like yours do without mascara! :smileywink:

(I've been playing with a trio of Bare Minerals mascaras and I don't like any of them.  The sample of their Lash Domination was okay.  I think it's time to cut my losses with these others and pull out something else from the amazing sample collection to try.)

violalea

your lashes look awesome.

janinebt

My all time favorite mascara is DiorShow's Blackout. It gives you big lacquered lashes that look like they were coated in patent leather :smileyhappy:

Whimsically yours,
Janine
sugarluvv

Lancome hypnose waterproof mascara is my fav bc it makes my super straight lashes hold a curl for hours. 

carolang

Your lashes are amazing! Try Maybelline the falsies. It's my fave. Guerlain maxi lash is good too but it makes my lashes look stumpy (and beware a lot of thesehigh end mascaras smell strongly of roses). I like the original falsies or the black drama one but I thought flared sucked. I second the suggestion to wipe off the wand (I too have seen the goss video!)

carolang

(0) Hearts

Oh and I too hated benefit they're real and thought it was super clumpy. I personally didn't like too faced better than sex, it's not a wet formula it's quite dry and it was a pain to get off (might as well have been waterproof) harder to get off than they're real. I always felt like I was losing lashes taking those off.

viviene23

Try guerlain cils d enfer maxi lash or chanel inimitable intense. Btw, your bare lashes are really long :smileyhappy:

caliglow66

[ Edited ]

I'm currently looking for the perfect mascara and it sounds like we're looking for the same things in a mascara.

I hated Benefit They're Real!!! Super clumpy on me too. The brush looked promising  so I was definitely disappointed.

I actually really like Covergirl Clump Crusher. The separation is great and with several coats it thickens up. I was using this for the past few months but I can't stand how dry it gets by the end of the day.

I just got a deluxe sample of the Too Faced Better than Sex using a promo code and I actually really like it. It definitely gives a ton of volume but be careful to only use one or two coats max or it starts getting spidery. It takes me a lot longer to get the separation I like but its possible with some patience. It also gets into my crease by the end of the day which has never happened to me before.

Others I've tried:

Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes! - amazing separation but basically zero volume

Diorshow Extase - HATED this one. I couldn't get any separation whatsoever.  Super thick clumpy lashes. Ick.

Guerlain Maxi Lash-  I really really like this one. It takes 2-3 coats to get as thick as I like but it has nice separation and length and never dries out. Plus it smells like roses :smileyhappy: The only downside is that its difficult to get off.

Benefit Bad Gal Lash - Just ok for me. It gives really nice curl and length but not enough volume.

Sorry for the super long post. Hopefully you found something helpful lol

ry22

Have you tried wiping off your brush before using it? Just pull it once through a tissue. Check out this on Youtube: gossmakeupartist "The Basics:The Mascara Tip You Don't Do But Should"

lovebaking123

(0) Hearts

Wow! Maybe I'll try this with my Benefit one when I use it again. Thanks for the tip!

mpolansky

(0) Hearts

I just watched this! Tempted to try it but then I think how much product I'm wasting...

pinktorridora

I use Buxom Lash as my defining mascara (with Better Than Sex on top), and can't imagine it EVER clumping. Give that one a try.

emmaclaire

I got a sample of the Too Faced Better Than Sex mascara and really hated it - I found it very clumpy and waxy, but it's definitely possible that my sample went bad or was off in some way!  My all time favorite mascara for serious volume, great separation, and no clumping is definitely DiorShow!  

Because it's pricey, I also have some go-to tips for avoiding clumps with any (almost any) mascara:

- curl lashes

- use a lash primer

- gently comb lashes to make sure your lashes are separated with primer (I use a spoolie brush for this!)

- apply one or two coats of mascara

- comb lashes once or twice, or as needed, while mascara is still wet

- let mascara dry

- apply one more coat of mascara if needed

lovebaking123

(0) Hearts

I used to curl my lashes, but I was afraid it was pulling them out so I stopped. Maybe I should try it again. Also, do the eyelash combs really work? I was tempted to buy one, then I stopped myself. I'll also look into lash primers. Thank you!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 20 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • mberteig
    • emmaclaire
    • marydiva
    • pinktorridora
    • ry22
    • janinebt