Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|
Anonymous Insider

Anyone have a great waterproof (I swim) and conditioning mascara?

I am a teacher and I swim, so I need a mascara that doesn't flake and is really waterproof! I also am 47 and need to condition this old lashes! Anyone have a fav that works?

Re: Anyone have a great waterproof (I swim) and conditioning mascara?

Hi, janien!

One of my favorite formulas is Urban Decay's Cannonball mascara. I've told the story plenty of times in BT, but I'm more than happy to sing its praises! I've tried this formula layered over my existing mascara and wore it for the duration of the day, when I got home, I hopped in the shower and proceeded to just have my face under the running water, and even ran my hands over my face before realizing I still had my makeup on. I quickly wiped along my eyes to ensure they wouldn't be super watery and when I opened them I saw traces of my shadow on my finger tips but ZERO black smudges or flakes from the mascara. I blotted my face off with a towel to deal with washing my face with makeup remover when I stepped out of the shower and once again, no trace of any mascara specs anywhere on my towel. At this point I figured I'd maybe look a bit raccoon-ish when I stepped out but nope.....not a bit of running mascara or mascara transfer!

I will say that if you swim very often and don't actually need to be in makeup while doing so, I'd recommend keeping some makeup wipes or makeup remover with you to use after you're done teaching and as you make your way to the pool. By chance do you use a full face of waterproof makeup when you swim and just needed to find that final step of a mascara to hold up to the elements? While waterproof mascaras can be quite drying on the lashes due to their formulas needing to keep to a high integrity of withstanding water exposure, I wouldn't advise using any primer with it to "cushion" lashes from direct contact as that may interfere with the waterproof mascara's ability to properly adhere to lashes and last very long on. What I would suggest is applying a conditioning lash primer or serum to bare, cleaned lashes after you've removed the waterproof formula so that they get some rest time while being able to take in nourishing elements. The UD Cannonball formula does contain conditioning vitamin E and softening beeswax, but I wouldn't say it's the most hydrating formula available.

Kate Somerville's True Lash Lash Enhancing Eye Makeup Remover is even a fortified formula that uses peptides to strengthen and restore integrity of the lashes while sodium hyaluronate hydrates and anti-oxidants also help protect the delicate skin surrounding the eye.

If you're wanting a color-less lash conditioning that can be used morning or night, try Givenchy's Mister Lash Booster which uses artemia salina extract and soy proteins to support healthy lash growth and strength.

If you want a conditioning primer that can be applied under a mascara when you're not wearing the waterproof formula, try Lash Food's Conditioning Collagen Lash Primer which has conditioning proteins such as peptides, arginine, soy, and rice as well as nourishing elements such as aloe vera and vitamin B.

Huge ditto to Cannonball! I love that mascara and it definitely wears through swimming or perhaps being thrown in the pool by boys, which may or may not have happened to me. 😄

I haven't tested it in water, though it doesn't run when I laugh so hard I cry (I'm a teacher too and those kids make me laugh sometimes!), but I like Lights, Camera, Splashes! from Tarte. I *think* Tarte provided the makeup for a synchro swimming team somewhere along the line as well, I seem to remember reading/hearing something about that. 

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing