infinitise

Am I using eye primers wrong?

I've been using eye primers for a year.. went through (well haven't finished any but just moved on) Nars, UD original, Toofaced and smashbox.. 

I first applied them right after I applied my face primer (before the foundation) 

- my foundation caked up around the eye area... 

but then I saw on youtube that the eye primers are supposed to go on after you put on your foundation so I did.. 

- the primer never dried to a soft powdery finish and the eye shadows didn't go on smooth .. sometimes it looked uneven and cakey. the base colors won't even show up because the ones on the brush would stick to wherever I touch first.. (making my brush oily in the process too) 

then I started putting setting powders on top of the primers, but if I was going to do that, there is no point in wearing a primer in the first place because I can just use the setting powder to get rid of the oil on the lids.. (it really does nothing for the extending of wear time or pigmentations) 

please help :smileysad: 

cdiamond

Re: Am I using eye primers wrong?

I prime my eyes, then my face then apply eyeshadow and then foundation.  I think putting anything else on your eyes is going to lead to disaster. 

infinitise

Thank you :smileyhappy: I didn't know that there are so many people who do the eye makeup first! 

I think it'll save me a lot of time as well :smileyhappy: 

knadala

After you finish setting your face, then go ahead and apply the eye primer. Basically, you don't want anything to go in between the primer and the shadow. The eye shadow should be applied directly on top of the eye primer.

infinitise

(0) Hearts

Thank you for the advice :smileyhappy: 

I think there was too much going on under the eyeprimer.. because I'm getting some face primer and foundation in that area as well when I'm trying to blend them out :smileysad: 

m3rma1d

[ Edited ]

Use a tiny amount, applying with a clean finger, to clean lids, and only where you are putting shadow.

:smileyhappy:

infinitise

(0) Hearts

Thank you 

I think I figured out why this was happening :smileysad: with a rounder brush like the MJ face 2, I do get some foundations on my lids without intending to 

beauty4ashes

[ Edited ]

That's the way I use eye shadow primer, too.

I never apply foundation then primer on top of lids.

Some foundations act as fairly good primers if it's not powder foundation or the type that dries to a powder-finish type. 

CeliaV

In addition to what the others recommend (using MUCH less.  You only need the tiniest of tiny amounts of any kind of primer or they have the opposite of intended effect), I would suggest trying to do your eye makeup before your face makeup.  Not only does this help eliminate fallout worries as you can clean anything up before doing the rest of your face, this can really help with focus and developing your ideal eye application process.

infinitise

I never thought about doing the eye makeup first..

I will try them tomorrow! I think it'll cut the waiting time too because I do wait for 2 minutes or so after applying the face primer before I put on the foundation.. 

beauty4ashes

I do eyes first, too.

DitzCore

I would suggest using less. How are you applying the primer? I find the best way is with your fingers. Using a brush to apply primer can result in way too much.

Also, I find with primers, pressing the shadow on is much more effective then swiping it on.

kbmatthews

It sounds like you might be using too much and not letting it dry before you put your eyeshadow on. You don't need a lot to cover an eye... a quarter of a pea split between two eyes would be more than enough, maybe even too much for some primers.

Mine does dry down to a powdery finish, but only certain eye primers do that, and I also don't have oily eyelids. One eye primer I use has a tacky finish.

infinitise

(0) Hearts

I use the too faced eye primer right now and use the smallest amount possible.. not even a quarter of a pea.. it somehow has a sticky clumpy finish :smileysad: 

spacesuit

How much primer are you using? I find if I use even a little too much it doesn't completely dry down and I can't get a nice even canvas. I also have oily lids so I can't speak to the "soft powdery finish" you're looking for (which tbh I'm not even sure is a thing anyone should expect from an eye primer? though maybe someone with more extensive primer knowledge can correct me on that)

Also forgive me for asking a silly sounding question, but: are you putting foundation onto your eyelids? I ask because I once thought I was supposed to put foundation on my eyelids, and what I ended up with after putting on primer and shadow sounds really similar to what you're describing - cakey, uneven, sticky, never drying down.

infinitise

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much for your advice!

I don't think the question is silly at all!

in fact I think I do.. and is part of the source of the problem.. especially when i use the marc jacobs face 2 brush which covers a large surface at once, I do think some of it gets applied to my eye lid area.. 

what is the ideal eye primer's finish? if its sticky, wouldn't the eye shadow and brush kind of stick and apply too much in one area and not on others? :smileysad: 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 19 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • cdiamond
    • knadala
    • infinitise
    • spacesuit
    • beauty4ashes
    • kbmatthews