Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

Allergy ideas?

I'm having an extremely odd allergic reaction and I can't get an appointment with a doctor until August, so I'm hoping some of you fab folks have some insight. My issue is primer and only on my lids. I used to use UD Primer Potion and, when they changed the formula, I began having a reaction. I then tried Trish McEvoy and also had a reaction. Both contained silicone (dimethicone in UD, cyclopentasiloxane in Trish McEvoy). I then tried Too Faced Glitter Glue, which does not contain silicone in any form, and had a reaction to that. My fiancé and I scoured the ingredients of the three, and the only ingredient they all have in common is phenoxyethanol.

Anyone ever heard of an allergy to this?? I'm trying now to find a primer that doesn't contain phenoxyethanol, which is possible, but I'm just so tired of trying something, doing my makeup, and 3 hours later having to take it off because my lids are red, swollen, and itchy. Plus, then I can't wear any eye makeup for a week and it's really annoying. 

Re: Allergy ideas?

I am currently having this reaction with a sunscreen by La Roche-Posay containing Phenoxyethanol! Thank you for solving the mystery. I was wondering what was going on and after reading this post I now know! I looked up this ingredient on the sunscreen that I just bought and there it was!

Your picture helped me find this post. That’s what I look like atm!
This product should be banned.

@GingerCupcake   I really sympathize with you because for the first time ever, I started having a similar problem.  In addition to not being able to use primer, I am also having the same reaction to some cream shadows.

I don't know if this is your situation, but as much as I don't like to admit it, time is marching on and my skin is changing and getting thinner.  When I take off my makeup, my eyes are swollen and red (but not as severely as yours,) for at least an entire day.  And, like you, that means wearing no makeup.

I guess from now on I will need to stick to mostly powder shadows.

I switched to using Make Up Forever's makeup remover, and that does seem to help some. I hope you find a solution!

@GingerCupcake -- your initial reaction may or may not have been to the product, but even if it was, you may just have over-sensitive skin there right now. Take a break from any extra eye treatments (lash serum, retinol) and use a plain basic gentle eye cream or better yet, pure oil on your eyes, no shadow or primer and maybe just non-waterproof mascara for a few days to a week if you can stand it. Then build back your routine without primer first, and see how it goes.

Skin can get "jumpy" where anything, even previously safe products, can be irritating; but letting it calm down awhile can work wonders. It's not always a case of having to delete things from your routine.

I’m having this reaction now and trying to figure out what it is. That same ingredient is in my setting spray for makeup!

I also recently discovered I’m allergic to this product! It took exactly one week for the swelling, redness, itch and then the dryness that occurred around my upper lid area to completely go away. I used pure aloe vera to help soothe and moisturize the entire eye area and it did relieve some of the itching. Beware of this product! I used the tiniest amount on each eyelid in the morning and the discomfort started in the early evening the same day. I used coconut oil to remove my makeup but by then the damage was done. This product needs to come off the shelves. 

Anonymous Insider

I know this is from months ago but I'm pretty sure you're allergic to phenoxylethenol!  I had an allergic reaction to it from makeup wipes and it looked exactly like yours it was terrible.  At first my skin was just irritated but I used it again and woke up to my face like this.  I tend to do fine with the ingredient as long as I don't apply product with it around my eyes though. Personally I just tried avoiding the ingredient all together and have avoided another reaction. It really sucks and each reaction may get worse each time.  Crazy but I wish you luck and I hope you found a good primer by now

I’m having this reaction now and trying to figure out what it is. That same ingredient is in my setting spray for makeup!

RE: Allergy ideas?

If I were you I’d just temporarily stop using eyeshadow primers and just use concealer for a little while to give your eyes a break. I know concealer doesn’t help with the longevity of the eyeshadow but hey desperate times yk what I mean?

Have the same allergy issue with this primer. Going to return it to the store.

I used that primer in 2013-14 and everything was fine!

Decided to use it again and ordered a new one. I think, the formula was changed.  

Anonymous Insider

In a desperate search for answers to the agony I have been suffering for over a month, I carried out a search on allergic reaction makeup products - and specifically MAC’s Pro Longwear Paint Pot (Tailor Grey). I absolutely loved the product, and to begin with, I used it without any problems at all. I am also NOT an allergic person - or I wasn’t one, at least. But after over 4 weeks of burning, swelling and red-raw skin around my eyes - treated with steroids, three types of prescription antihistamines, creams and lotions - I had a yet another relapse which I could only put down to the Pro Longwear Paint Pot. On my boyfriend’s suggestion I carried out a search - and I think I may just have found the culprit. My apologies for sharing an image of the utter disfigurement that I am suffering - but if it is definitely caused by this product, and if there is more than one person going through this hell, then MAC should be forced to take it - and any other toxins they are selling - OFF the market...DF864B5E-35BD-4D00-989B-20CEC86C1F16.jpeg

By the way, I've been using Mac Paint pot in Painterly for years and started having a similar reaction - turns out this product has Bismuth Oxychloride in it - something the rest of my fact has well-documented allergic reactions to. IDK why it took longer with this product than others - but since I've discontinued it's use I am seeing improvements. 

@Anonymous --

this kind of reaction happens to my lips sometimes-- when I used Chapstick, or those wet roll-on glosses, and more recently when I tried a "night-time" facial wipe with lavender scent in it. 

I believe you are correct on Phenoxyethanol as I can't use Urban Decay eyeshadow primer unless I want bright red, itchy, watery eyelids. Also the next common ingredient for the eyeshadow primers have that I am narrowing in on are Bismuth Oxychloride.  Both Phenoxyethanol and Bismuth Oxychloride are also in the Too Face Shadow insurance. However, I am also allergic to a face sunscreen Colorscience Sunforgettable Face Shield SPF 50. The only ingredient in common is Phenoxyethanol. It seems to bother my eyelids the most, probably because of how thin the skin is, but my whole face is starting to itch.

I also am allergic to the Drunk elephant La La Retro Moisturizer and Protini PolyPeptide moisturizer. 

Guess what the common ingredient is??? Phenoxyethanol. This stuff needs to be taken off the market, My face and eyes looked just like yours! This is an outrage.

I am so sorry that you are also dealing with this!! It took me so many years to figure out that I became allergic to the Urban Decay Original primer. My symptoms were nonstop tearing, burning and redness. I already have existing seasonal allergies so for a while I really just thought it was that, not the primer itself. After I finally figured out that it was the primer that was causing the issues, I stopped wearing all eye makeup (except mascara) for a good 6 months to let my eyes have a break. 

My eyelids tend to be very greasy so I do need some kid of primer to help eyeshadow stay on and not crease. I switched to MAC painterly pot for a bit with no issues and now again I’ve become allergic to another primer! I am trying to figure out which ingredient is making me react just like you so that Incan avoid it going forward. Gah!!! 

Thank you very much. I'm having the same problem, but since I use very, very little eye primer (because otherwise they get dry), my eyes look like the ones in the picture, but in a miniature swelling! The other thing is that I don't know if it's because it expires after 6 months of opening the primer, and it's been a long time in my case.

this looks like blepharitis to me. you might need a cream...

this looks like blepharitis to me. you might need a cream antibiotic to clear that up.

Having the same issues. At first I thought it was my eye shadow. Too faced eye primer kills my eyes.

Anonymous Insider

My eyes look just like this right now.  It is the second time in three months that this has happened.  I am now sure that Urban Decay shadow primer anti-aging to be the culprit.  I wish I  knew what ingredient in there is causing this reaction so I could avoid it.  It takes about 4 or 5 days to subside and my eyelids are sensitive for at least a week.  So annoyed and uncmfortable.  Can’t go to work like this.

I'm definitely allergic to carmine. I only found out after using MAC's Pro Longwear Paint Pot in "Soft Ochre", and developed a burning red patch on both my eyelids where I was placing it as a primer. After returning that devil's paste, I checked a few of my other eyeshadows and liners that had given me strange reactions, and the common ingredient was carmine. 
I've now switched to ELF primer and haven't had a problem. Sadly it's not as light as the soft ochre, so my shadows don't come up as bright but it's still a million times better than my eyelid skin feeling like it's burning off slow layer by layer! It's also way cheaper than Mac.
Hope this helps 🙂

I actually just went to urgent care today for yet another flare of this! My eyes looked identical - and it was determined that Carmine is the common denominator. Ever since I started using eyeliners that have a more reddish/brown tone to them, my eyes would puff up and become goopy (NYX, urban decay, etc.). After researching it - carmine allergy is extremely common. And with more use the stronger the allergic reaction will become 😞 

40 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • DF864B5E-35BD-4D00-989B-20CEC86C1F16.jpeg
testing