Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

Allergy ideas?

I'm having an extremely odd allergic reaction and I can't get an appointment with a doctor until August, so I'm hoping some of you fab folks have some insight. My issue is primer and only on my lids. I used to use UD Primer Potion and, when they changed the formula, I began having a reaction. I then tried Trish McEvoy and also had a reaction. Both contained silicone (dimethicone in UD, cyclopentasiloxane in Trish McEvoy). I then tried Too Faced Glitter Glue, which does not contain silicone in any form, and had a reaction to that. My fiancé and I scoured the ingredients of the three, and the only ingredient they all have in common is phenoxyethanol.

Anyone ever heard of an allergy to this?? I'm trying now to find a primer that doesn't contain phenoxyethanol, which is possible, but I'm just so tired of trying something, doing my makeup, and 3 hours later having to take it off because my lids are red, swollen, and itchy. Plus, then I can't wear any eye makeup for a week and it's really annoying. 

Re: Allergy ideas?

The very same thing is happening to my eyelids and its the paint pots in both painterly and soft ochre. I hate it that I have to switch back to my UD primer b/c I loved the coverage, but I can't deal with red, itchy, burning eyelids that lasts for days and causes me not to be able to wear my eyeshadow for a week. It is definitely this product because I have no eye irritation when I use other products. I have to find something that is similar in performance to this, but is not this. Anyone have a suggestion? 

Glad to hear you found something that works!

Haven't seen this post before... Just wanted to say - yes, phenoxyethanol can cause different kind of skin, and even other kind of problems. It is a preservative, an alternative to parabens, and many people are sensitive to it. It is classified as irritant in European Union. I think I might have a problem with it myself... But, not quite sure yet. Still in a "detective" mode.

So sad to learn that UD uses it in their Primer Potion now... So, if it turns out Phenoxyethanol is what causes my problems after all... Oh, noes! Bye bye my fave eye shadow primer. 😞 Been using it for years. And, loved it! ( I still have a tube of the  "old" one. But, it won't last forever... 😞 )

I am allergic to UD Primer potion and Too Faced Shadow insurance as well. I tried the Tatcha silk canvas as an eyeshadow primer and no reaction whatsoever. I love it, but not the price. I then bought the Elf Primer Putty, no reaction there as well and only 8 bucks. What I can't figure out is why the elf does not bother me as it too has Phenoxyethanol and well as the tatcha so now I am stumped!

Update: I snagged the Tarte Clean Slate 360° Creaseless primer and so far, so good! I figured I'd give it a shot since, even tho it had some of the ingredients I thought I needed to avoid, those theories had since been disproven and it has extra perks like vitamin E (good for reducing swelling) and it's formulated without some other nasty common ingredients. 

Anyway, as I mentioned, so far, so good! I did various gradual tests for only a few hours by itself, then with adding shadows over it. I tested with only shadows I know I'm fine with (Morphe palettes first), and then branched into others that I've gotten since the problems have started, and eventually moved up to wearing each for entire days. Right now, I'm a happy girl. 😃

Hi ! Tarte Clean slate 360 creaseless primer being discontinued, did you switch to some new product ? I suffer too from allergic eyelids reactions. 

So happy to hear that you found something that works and hasn't caused any reaction!

Hi Gingercupcake,  I had the same reaction to UD Primer Potion so I went back to using Too Faced Shadow Insurance which did not cause the itchy swollen reaction.  I am allergic to many eye shadows (causing the same itchy, red and swollen reaction to my eyelids) but over the last year, I've discover certain eye liners, mascara, and primers are coming under the allergic list.

Did you try a concealer?  How did it work?

Go see your Dr. and hopefully they can provide a definitive ingredient you are allergic to.  Good luck!

It might not be the primer, did you change anything else you're using?  I've had that reaction to mascara and certain eye shadows.  It could also be a new allergy from something else you've been using a long time.  The only way to really pin it down is patch testing.  Don't wear anything until the reaction is healed up for a few days, you could end up creating whole new sensitivities.

I haven't changed anything else I'm using. It started with the new tube of UD primer. I've been very careful to stay consistent with all my other eye makeup (since this first happened) every time I try a new primer out, so I can remove as many variables as possible. We've done a ton of detective work and are completely at a loss here. 

I was reading this on MUA subreddit, this may help you. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/MakeupAddiction/comments/4kwc21/update_finally_solved_the_mystery_of_eyesha...

Turns out the allergen was carmine for the OP. 

Hey Gingercupcake,

I have eczema and have suffered from an allergic reaction around the eyes a couple of weeks ago. I read online that around the eyes is the first place on your face to react to an allergy, as that is the thinnest part of facial skin, and where you are sensitive. So if are allergic to phenoxyethanol, you should avoid it in all skin products if you can help it. I used the Peter Thomas Roth Cucumber Mask around the eyes to sooth the irritation from the allergy.

From a person who has a million allergies, you can be allergic to anything, synthetic or natural.

MAC's Pro Longwear Paint Pot in "Soft Ochre" might work for you, just double check ingredients.If not, a thick concealer like NARS Creamy Radiant works as a good eyelid primer.

The problem is, I don't actually know if I'm allergic to any of the three ingredients I listed. To make matters more confusing, I just tested out a favorite shadow I've been avoiding since this problem started because it contains both dimethicone and phenoxyethanol. I had zero issues with it. I put it just straight on my lid, no primer or other shadows, and was fine for over 5 hours. The reaction always pops up at 3 hours, almost exactly to the minute. 

Hi @GingerCupcake I suffer from eye eczema! What you are describing sounds like you may also have this issue. I can't use any primers on my eyelids, and only use concealer. I have had good luck with MUFE Ultra HD concealer. Also certain eye shadows cause the same reaction. The only thing that has helped me is Dr. Organics Manuka Honey Rescue cream. They sell it at Vitamin World and online. I went to the Dr but they prescribed me a steroid cream which is dangerous to use around your eyes. My advice is use the rescue cream when your eyes flair up multiple times a day. Then use it daily to help them not flair up! I hope this helps you like it did me! I was desperate I found a video on YouTube from a girl suffering from this same problem. This is what she used and it works!

My next item to test is going to be just concealer on my lids! I'll let you know how that goes when I test it, either this evening or tomorrow evening. If it works, I'll test it as primer the next day for the whole day. 

Are you sure that it's your primer that's doing this, and not the eyeshadow or other eye makeup (mascara, eyeliner) that you're putting on top of it? Like have you tried using the primer alone and then seeing if there's a reaction? (If you haven't used the primer by itself and are using more than one eye makeup product with it, then you really don't know if it's the primer or the makeup.)

FWIW, the eyelids can be "ground zero" for Allergic Contact Dermatitis, and can react even if a product is used elsewhere. And it can develop for something that you've used for a while without any reaction. It's a good idea to get a patch test when you get in to see your dermatologist. Hopefully it will be a skin irritation and not Allergic Contact Dermatitis.

I have not tried the primer by itself but I have tried the primer with shadows from just one palette and then have worn just those shadows with no primer and have not had a problem. 

Do you have a reaction when you're wearing the primer? Or only after you've removed it?

While I'm wearing it. 😕 I usually start getting itchy and swollen after having it on for about 3 hours or so. 

Have you tried using just foundation as the primer?

I haven't. I really only wear BB cream. Do you think that would work? Or I've heard of people using concealer as a primer, so maybe I could try that!

The thing that worries me is products I don't react to on the rest of my face cause a reaction on my eyelids. I actually tried swatching the Trish McEvoy primer elsewhere on my face, just to see, and had NO issues. 

Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • DF864B5E-35BD-4D00-989B-20CEC86C1F16.jpeg
testing