time for a rant
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry i felt like screaming. you may have already read my other rant, but it was time for another. here we go. so many people have the naked paletee. they do wonderful looks with it but i can't do those beacause i don't have that paletee and sorry maniacs, but i am not wasting 48 dollars just cuz i need like, 6 shades. but why is it 48 dollars anyway!!??? why isn't the price lower since it is old??? why isn't it in the huge sale????!!! WWHHHHYYYYY!!!! ok.....breathe. why are all palettes so expensixe? why? and will some makeup crazed person PLZ for the love of sugar and manga, tell me where i can find a plaetee for cheap that has shades simalar to virgin, sin, smog, half baked, darkhorse, and sidecar! please. pretty plz with icecream? oh, and i am not bipolar. just clearing that up...so, please answer. and i won't hurt you. haha, jk! but plz answer.
Seeing some prices of makeup palettes can be shocking at first. However, there is a way to justify the price with a little bit of math:
- We'll use the NAKED palette for the example. It costs $48 and includes 12 full sized eyeshadows. Using division, we can see how much each shadow is in the palette. 48/12 is 4. Thus each shadow in the set is $4.00
- Now, compared that unit price to the price that Urban Decay eyeshadow singles cost. A full sized, round Urban Decay single is $17. So if you wanted 12 eyeshadow singles similar to the NAKED palette it would cost you $204.
- In the end after seeing the numbers, the palette ends up being cheaper.
- For the 6 shades you're searching for, if you found them in Urban Decay singles, it would cost you $102. The entire NAKED palette is still cheaper in the end.
I hoped the math helped you to see that sometimes buying palettes can be a lot cheaper. It all depends on the situation and what colors you're after. As for a cheaper palette with similar shades, I can't think of one off the top of my head. I'm sure there is one out there, though.
Okay I am about to make you hate me and love me all in a matter of seconds lol.
I have the naked palette, the ONLY splurge on makeup I have ever made. I usually only buy drug store makeup. And I also am one of the ones who can't use this to its full advantage, so just one swipe of a color etc. I'm so cheap with it I rarely use it bc I don't want to use it up. I wont even use the brush that comes with it.
BUt I can tell you where to get something similar for dirt cheap.
1. elf cosmetics. google it. even google "elf cosmetic naked palette dupe" . there are forums dedicated to this on the net. the elf palette, not sure on the name, is i think 1/10 of the cost and very comparable
2. forever 21 has these palettes that look almost identical. I got two of them. one is natural and one is smokey. they have all the naked colors in it plus more!. they are $7 each. order online or pick up in a store. with a good primer they stay!
wow that was a long rant!!!
I totally share your pain! I love love love love love love love the naked palette but it would take a lot for me to spend close to $50 on it. I want it so badly though!!!!!!!!! Whatever. My favorite palette is Kat Von D's Ludwig palette. I FREAKING LOVE IT! the colors are so pigmented and i find myself using the greens almost as much as the browns. Some of the Kat Von D palettes just went on sale for $24 and I really want to pick up the purple/gold one (forget what its called!).... I've always wanted the Too Faced neutrals palette or too faced soft and sexy eye palette. Time to save my money!
I hope some other beauty talkers share our AGONY OVER THE NAKED PALETTE!
Hi nanobear- My teenage niece just got the NYX Smokey Eye Kit which has 9 cute neutral shades, some pretty similar to ones in my NAKED palette, for only $12! She seems to be getting pretty good wear with them too, though she does use a primer, which helps them last longer. She got the palette from ULTA, if this helps.
I understand your rant, though, there are a few skincare products that I would love to try but they are ridiculously priced- who in their right mind would pay over $300 for a skin serum!
Maybe you could ask for the NAKED palette for a birthday or holiday, or ask for Sephora giftcards for presents and then spend those on a NAKED palette? I really love mine and I think you would get a lot of use out of it, and even grow to love the other 6 colors if you had your own to play with.
As for why isn't the price lower, there is still tremendous demand for this palette and I am sure UD sees no reason to lower the price. If you sign up for the UD website, they have 20% off sales periodically and though the NAKED palette wasn't included this past time, maybe in the future?
Sorry I couldn't offer you more constructive advice, you do have a valid point!
50 dollars for one palette is expensive if you already have a lot of expensive shadows, but its not expensive if you NEED it and will use it up completely. Urban Decay shadows especially are so pigmented that you only need a little and they last all day without primer. If you want a decent, drugstore neutral eye palette try Maybelline Eye Studio Cream Shadow or Revlon Illuminance Cream Shadow.