Answer
luziep
Accepted Solution
smokey eye

ive watched a ton of video tutorials on how to get a perfect smokey eye but when i try it on my eyes, it never seems right. how can i get a great looking smokey eye that isnt difficult?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Best Answer
tenngal
Answered

For a classic gray / black smoky eye, just do the following (it's kind of hard to explain in words, but I'll try):

• Use a medium-size round brush to apply powder in an arch shape just above the crease of the lid.  Then blend down to the lash line.
  • Trace the upper lash line with a soft black pencil, then gently smudge with your fingertip.
  • With a smaller, firm-bristle brush, press a gunmetal shade into the lower lash line.
  • Apply a pale silver powder to the inner corners of the eyes to lighten the overall effect.
  • Pile on mascara and you're done.

However, you don't have to do a gray smoky eye all the time—you can substitute purples, etc., for the gray.  But there are tons of ways to do eye makeup and you can find some online tutorials that are helpful.  Sephora's Beauty Talk home page has some great “get-the-look” video tutorials and YouTube has a bunch of different looks, too.

I hope this helps you. :smileyhappy:

Answers: 7
corrin99
Answered

I also am art challenged but have still done makeup for weddings and dances for my friends.  I like to use a brown eyeliner or big eyeshadow pencil and draw all the way up your eyelid not past your crease!  Or this also works with eyeshadow just stay on the lid, then come around the outside corner taper it off half way across (under your pupil).  Blend, blend, blend.  Use a little highlighter in the inner corner of your eyes.  If you think you need to define your lashes more use a black liner, a thin line all the way across thicker on the outside thinner on the inner corner.  Load on the mascara.

oliviabt
Answered

Try these easy steps to achieve a sultry, smokey eye. :smileyhappy:

What you will need: (*These are my personal recommendations, but feel free to substitute with similar products if you prefer)

- Kat Von D High Voltage Eye Primer in Smoky

- Sephora Collection Smokey Eye Brush Set (comes with wide smudge, all-over shadow, small domed smudge, detail, brow brush & comb, mascara)

- Sephora Collection Waterproof Smoky Cream Liner in Must Have (matte black), or other color

- Benefit Cosmetics Velvet Eyeshadow in Where’s the Smoke (smoky pewter), or other color

- Make Up For Ever Star Powder in Pearl Gold 902

Step 1 - Prime entire eye lid.

Step 2 - Apply Cream Eyeliner to upper and lower lashline using liner brush. Don't be afraid to apply a think line on the upper lashline, and make it messy.

Step 3 - Use finger of smudge brush to smudge cream out and up, apply a touch more to the outer corners and smudge.

Step 4 - Use all over shadow brush to apply pewter shadow to the entire lid. Blend into crease with domed brush. Apply more black liner to the lashline and outer corners as needed.

Step 5 - Apply a touch of shimmering Star Powder in inner corners of eyes and brow bone.

Step 6 - Finish by combing brows, curling lashes, and applying dark black mascara.

It can take some practice to get the right shape and look. My advice is to begin with lighter layers and build up to your desired intensity, and keep waterproof makeup remover handy! Hope that helps!

XO,
Olivia
allegrissima
Answered
[ Edited ]

Keep practicing.    

Eventually, you will find what steps you can add or subtract from the process, what brushes to use or not  etc...  After a while, when you finally see what you like in the mirror, try practicing again to duplicate what you did.  With time, you will be able to do a perfect look in less time that you had imagined. 

We all have learned how to do our make up (or anything else for that matter) one step at a time, gradually perfecting it.  No one has ever done a perfect makeup from the first shot.  So keep on practicing. 

Best of luck   :smileyhappy: 

makeupobesessed
Answered
I tried Loracs smokey eye kit and it worked well for beginners, it has directions. I do think it needs a new brush but you can purchase another at sephora. Too faced also has one with direction cards, but I haven't tried it yet. Good luck.
missalysss
Answered

To get smokey eyes i use a flat shader brush and Urban Decay's 24/7 pencil in the color zero. i line my lid with it and smudge it out along my lid. I apply a taupe color to my lids and a darker color in the crease and blend it really good. Then i line my waterline and set it with Urban Decays eyeshadow in the color creep which is found in the naked palette. any dark shadow would work too. I take a flat brush and dip it in the shadow and smudge it along my lower lash line to set the liner and smoke it out a bit. and a bunch of black mascara. hope this helps and good luck!

--Alyssa <3

coolieprincess
Answered

Try Sephora"s Smoky eye in a box....I could never get it right until i used that. Just make sure you use a primer to get that lasting smoky eye look. :smileywink:

jennywawa88
Answered
(0) Hearts

I would go in to a department store or Sephora or Ulta and ask one of the people there to help you. Ask them to show you how to do a good smokey eye and see what they do and what tips they can give. And the best thing is this a free service.

Question Stats
  • 8 answers
  • 10 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • oliviabt
    • tenngal
    • corrin99
    • jennywawa88
    • allegrissima
    • luziep
    • missalysss
    • coolieprincess