Answer
melibabie
how can i create a nice smokey eye with a warm brown skin tone?

i am a darker mexican-american and i am having issues trying to create a smokey eye, i feel like its either too dark or doesn't blend right...i need help!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
tortillagirl
Answered
[ Edited ]

There was areal good eye tutorial with Alessandra Ambrosio a couple years back, I wish I could find it but it is not popping up. They started with a fresh face, maybe a bit of primer so the liner glides. The artist did a thin line on the eyelid, make it go out just bit longer than your eye with a black "smudgeable " pencill then did about a third of the lower lash line, the outer not inner. With the sponge tip slowly smudge the line, just the line. She then  got a black shadow and deepened the liner with it and went just a bit into the crease of the eyelid. With a brush do a sweep of a lighter shade of black, like charcoal, over what you did. I know this sounds complicated but you really have to play with it before you really achieve "your" look. I tried the liner and then shadow application and it works for me, it lasts longer and looks deep. Also, try to do liner inside the lower rim, sometimes scary but it looks nice. 

When you have dark skin it's sometimes best to not cover the entire lid with dark. Just try to accentuate your natural shape by starting thin on the inner rim and getting a bit thicker as you go out, finish shading the outer with shadow as you sweep upwards into the crease but only the outer. Sorry for the Novel of an explanation but maybe this will trigger more answers to your post till you find what works best for you.

P.S. 

For a real good blending shadow, try Bare Essentuals loose shadows. They are my favorite right now.

Question Stats
  • 5 answers
  • 2 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • makeupmichelle
    • tenngal
    • jennywawa88
    • islandqt
    • melibabie
    • tortillagirl