Answer
jenbird
What color eyeliners compliment brown eyes?

I found out that I can't wear purple eye makeup because it creases, fades and look muddy just minutes after application (this happens with both eyeshadow and eyeliner). I've tried using Urban Decay's Primer Potion and my eyeshadow still creased, faded and looked muddy. This only happens when I wear purple colored eyeshadow or eyeliner.:smileysad: I guess there must be some sort of ingrediant in all purple eye makeup that I'm "allergic" to (I don't get a rash or anything my eye makeup just fades and creases). I talk to my mom about it and growing up she had the same problem (she can't wear pink or lavender eyeshadows because even with a base/primer the eye makeup would crack on her). It really bugs me that I can't wear purple eye makeup, I have fair skin and dark brown eyes and I always loved how the color purple made brown eyes pop while the cool undertones of in the purple made it still wearable for a work enviroment. Lately I've been wearing Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner Pencil in Flipside on my waterline and I really like how it looks and think it compliments my brown eyes nicely. However...I'm getting a little tired of wearing Teal Eyeliner and plus the color is rather bold. I really want to branch out and try new colors that will make my eyes pop...but I don't know of any colors that would make my eyes pop except for navy blue, teal and green. I want to be able to wear other colors besides blues and greens but I'm not sure how as I can't wear purple eye makeup? HELP! Also I have two purple eyeshadows (one is from MAC. and one is from the Sephora Brand. I bought from two different brands to make sure that it wasn't just one particular brand of purple makeup that I was "allergic" to). Lastly I've never worn pink eyeshadow or eyeliner before so I don't know if it would work or not.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 5
katekatastrophe
Answered

Hi!

I also have brown eyes. I've never had such a problem with a specific color crawling all over my lids. Could you be using too much primer?

Shadow crayons work really well for stay put color (I mean, slept in, showered in, swimming in sort of stay put). I'd try the Urbay Decay shadow pencils. Or even the Sephora brand ones. Greens also look very striking on green eyes. So you can do like... an ivy green smoky eye. c: Navy blue is very pretty too.

Brown eyes really aren't limited to what colors they can wear (neither is any eye color, actually. but for some people, I wonder if it's a psychological thing). There's a liner from two faced you may want to try. It's called Black Orchid. It's not quite black, but it isn't quite purple either. Maybe you'd have some luck with that?

Also, pink liner is a tricky thing to pull off. I typically only do something like that for dramatic, colorful looks. Otherwise, you run the risk of looking like you have pink eye. Pink shadow is fine though. Urban, MUFE, KVD, Sugarpill... they all have pretty colors.

linabo
Answered
(0) Hearts

Your brown eyes can look amazing with almost any shade! To start I would ask you to take your skin type into consideration. If you have oily skin I would not recommend anything with a satin or cream finish. These will crease horribly throughout the day unless you invest in a more quality brand. If you have dry to combination skin you might actually need to apply MORE primer than the average person to get results. Your purple shades might fade or crease faster than others but this does not mean the other shades you are wearing wont do the same later in the day. A little extra primer could fix your problem right there.

If you would like to try a pricier purple, I would recommend purchasing Too Faced Romantic Eye Palette which also includes a matte pink to try out as well as several other lovely colors. (The color Cut The Cake is an amazing Taupe/Purple shade). The colors in this palette are pretty pigmented and long lasting. For cheaper options it never hurts to check drugstore products like Physicians Formula, Almay, and Revlon to try out new colors. They also include palettes that "match" your eye color which could be helpful in your quest for a new eyeshadow experience. Sephora also has a large selection of eyeshadow primers, if one is not doing the trick for you return it and try out a different one. This could just be a case of weeding out the undesired products and finding what works best for you.

ChicDabbler
Answered
[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Well, have you really tried enough purple eye make up to determine that? there's cream shadows, powder shadows, eyeliners, liquid liners, normal formula, and all natural/organic brands.

Yeah, I've heard navy blue makes whites of the eye whiter. You can wear pink. I have light/med asian complexion (yellow) with a cool pink flush/cheeks. I find sheer pastel pink works great as a highlighter under the brow, and am a fan of coral/peach all over the lid. Other pink usually makes me look like I have pink eyes. oh, salmon/flesh pink is better for tightlining bottom lashline than white. My personal favorite is actually blackest of black eyeliners. I have dark brown eyes so ppl usually say "black" but I've seen real black eyes (you can't see the iris because the pupil is black), and sometimes I like to emphasize the brownness of it (no idea if I'm making sense) so black cat eyes makes my brown eyes seem brighter.

sammiebaby
Answered
(0) Hearts

I also have brown eyes and find that I can wear pretty much any color liner.  Gold looks gorgeous with brown eyes as does a navy blue and green.  I think it may be the primer you're having problems with?  maybe not enough or too much primer on the days you want to wear purple?  maybe you're adding say concealer that you normally don't do with the other colors?  not sure but I also have UD primer potion and haven't had a problem.  Maybe try Bare Minerals Eye Primer or Benefits Stay Don't Stray.  Spread all over the lid and don't let the primer completely dry either.  umm like right before putting on the shadow apply the primer is what I mean.  Or you can also try a different textured purple eyeshadow?  cream like maybe? or loose/pressed powder if what you have is cream?  Don't give up on purple it looks great with brown eyes!  Hope this helps somewhat good luck!

makeupobesessed
Answered
(0) Hearts
I also have brown eyes and the fabulous thing about our color is we can pretty much wear any color! I love to wear purple. Have you tried another primer? Too Faced makes a nice one I like better than primer potion by UD. I wouldn't rule out purple yet, it's my favorite color choice. I also wear nuetral browns, grays, and smokey black. Sometimes I'll do pink, or blue if I'm feeling bolder and different. The possibilities are endless. I've done teal and blue, but no true green, but it's a color I'm willing to consider. If you google or YouTube eyeshadow for brown eyes, or smokey eye tutorials for brown eyes, there are some great ppl on to give good advice. I like the videos bc I can watch and practice by pausing. So my biggest advice is to try another primer. Sephora will let you try samples before you buy. I really don't think you're allergic to ALL purple eyeshadows and it's such a shame to let them go. MAC is a really good brand, have you tried their primer? Good luck and have fun.
Question Stats
  • 5 answers
  • 3 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • katekatastrophe
    • jenbird
    • ChicDabbler
    • sammiebaby
    • makeupobesessed
    • linabo