Answer
loveeyeliner
Pressed Powder/Finishing Powder?

Ok this might be a lot of questions but I'm so confused and it would be great if someone could give me an answer on these questions. Ok so I'm basically looking for a pressed powder that I can use to set my makeup with. I was looking online and there were some that are pigmented (like with skin color) and others that are just translucent. Some are called pressed powders and others are called finishing powders. Typically the pressed powders are the ones with pigment and color and the finishing powders are either white or translucent. So here is my question, is there a difference between pressed powders and finishing powders or can they both be used to set my makeup? Also if I use a pressed powder that has color do I use it before or after I use blush and eyeshadow. I was thinking that if I bought a pressed powder that has color if I used it to set my makeup wouldn't the color in the pressed powder just mess up all of the blush and eyeshadow I just put on my face? Could someone please recoment to me a pressed powder either with pigment or translucent that I could use everyday to set my makeup and please clarify to me if there is a difference between the usage of a pressed powder and finishing powder. Sorry if this is a lot of questions I just really need some serious calification.

thanks!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
brookie673
Answered

Hope I can help you a little here!

Question 1: Is there a difference between pressed powders and finishing powders or can they both be used to set my makeup? 

Answer: They can both be used to set makeup, however I've found that loose powder has better coverage and is better at reducing shine. Pressed tends to be sheerer and lighter coverage, but the pigmented ones can help cover blemishes and even out skin tone even further.

Question 2: If I use a pressed powder that has color do I use it before or after I use blush and eyeshadow. I was thinking that if I bought a pressed powder that has color if I used it to set my makeup wouldn't the color in the pressed powder just mess up all of the blush and eyeshadow I just put on my face? 

Answer: Usually I apply powder as a final step, but if you want you can do eye makeup first. Actually, if you want you can do eyeshadow whenever and just not apply powder around the eyelid/ eye area. As far as blush, you would probably apply the powder lightly so it is sheer and lets some blush show through. Or, you can just apply powder where you have shine/blemishes, which is usually around the T-zone. Then, you won't even touch your other makeup! (If the powder is so pigmented it looks weird to apply like that, try applying very lightly and blending out.)

Question 3: Could someone please recommend to me a pressed powder, either with pigment or translucent, that I could use everyday to set my makeup?

Answer: If you have uneven skintone or a lot of redness, I like ELF's Complexion Perfection Tone Correcting Powder for $3. It has four colors- pink, blue, yellow and green. It goes on and blends sheer, but the colors serve a purpose. Green helps with redness, blue neutralizes orange hues, pink helps with grey hues and yellow brightens and also brings down redness. You can use your own combination of the colors or just swirl your brush around and get some of all the powders. Due to BT rules, I can't post non-Sephora links, but you can just google "Eyes lips face tone correcting powder," and it will be the first link (under the Amazon results.) (Pictured is ELF's Complexion Perfection Powder.)

If you just want a powder to set your makeup, I like CoverGirl's Professional Loose Powder and Airspun Face Powder.

Another consideration is actual white powder, such as MUFE's HD Powder. It's supposed to light up your face and make you look better in photos. ELF has a cheaper version of this powder for six dollars. (Pictured is MUFE's HD Microfinish Powder.)

Since it sounds like you are just starting out, I would recommend trying some of Cover Girl's pressed and loose powders before you move on to higher end brands at Sephora so you are acquainted with the different types of powder. Cover Girl makes some pretty good quality pressed and loose powders in many shades for a reasonable price, and they are available in many places. (Pictured is CG's pressed powder.)

One note: Always tap the excess powder off of your puff or brush, and blend very well into the skin. Otherwise you will get cakeyness and a weird looking face :smileyvery-happy:

I hope I helped you out a little :smileyvery-happy: Good luck finding a great powder! Feel free to PM me with any more questions you have.

makeuplover9339
(0) Hearts
I love Cover Girl powders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (:
taketheroses
(0) Hearts
I found this post and your answer has greatly helped me as well! Thank you!
Annieways
(0) Hearts
thank you!! wonderful information! :smileyhappy:
Question Stats
  • 3 answers
  • 4 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • loveeyeliner
    • taketheroses
    • aviscardi
    • brookie673