Sephora's Beauty Talk home page has some great "get-the-look" video tutorials that you can look at to see a demonstration of how to create a smoky eye. Youtube also has some great video tutorials as well. However, below is basically what I do when creating a smoky eye:
- Use a medium-size round brush to apply powder in the arch shape just above the crease of the lid. Then blend down to the lash line.
- Trace the upper lash line with a soft black pencil, then gently smudge with your fingertip.
- With a smaller, firm-bristle brush, press a gunmetal shade into the lower lash line.
- Apply a pale silver powder to the inner corners of the eyes to lighten the overall effect.
- Pile on mascara and you're done.
By the way, you can do the same steps above with any color eyeshadow. You can create a purple smoky eye, green, etc.
I hope this helps.