My ethnicity is black. But I have Chinese in my family so my eyes are small like that and I also have dark brown eyes. Its really hard for me to know how much make up or how high to apply eye shadow on my eyelid. and I also wanted to know what eye shadows would make my dark brown eyes pop .
Sincerely, Beauty Insider Kelsey.
Hi there! Do you have monolids? If so, you may want to check out some youtube videos on how to apply eyeshdow for monolids. I've included some links here:
These should be a good place to start.
Also, you may want to consider using false eyelashes, as those really help to open up the eye.
To make your brown eyes really stand out, wear an eyeshadow that’s the opposite of your eye shade on the color spectrum. Brown eyes should be lined with a brown liner, not black—it’s softer yet still dramatic.
Brown eyes can wear almost any combination of colors. However, some of the best shades for brown eyes are:
- cream / eggshell
- dark brown
- warm gold
- deep blue
- forest green
- deep grey
Urban Decay Eyeshadow is my favorite brand of eyeshadow and they have all the colors I listed above and more and you can find them at:
Here are a few tips on how to make your eyes appear bigger:
- Make your eyelashes look longer. There are several ways to do this such as curling your upper eyelashes with an eyelash curler, applying mascara and / or applying false eyelashes. A very good mascara is Smashbox Hyperlash Mascara which you can find at: http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P260308
- Don’t apply eyeliner all the way around your eyes. Doing so will make your eye look smaller. When you apply eyeliner on your lower lash line, do it just below the lash line, not inside the rim, and don’t let the line come all the way to the inner corner of your eye.
- You might also want to line your waterline with a white eyeliner, which will open up your eyes. Buxom Insider Eyeliner is specifically designed for the waterline or inner rim of your eye and you can find it at: http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P243800
- Extend your eyeliner past the outer corners of your eyes. The line should move upwards a little as well, mimicking a very long eyelash. This will make your eyes look wider, but use a steady hand because if you don’t apply both sides symmetrically, it can make your eyes look lopsided.
- Add white eyeliner to the inner corner of your eyes. This brings more light into them and gives the effect of being larger.
- Lastly, get rid of dark circles under your eyes. This won’t necessarily make your eyes look bigger, but dark circles will detract from even the biggest, most beautiful eyes. Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner Pencils are very good at concealing dark circles and you can find them at: http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P219000
I hope this helps you.
I second mermadelove's false eyelash suggestion to help open up the eye.
In general, brown eyes pop with purples, blues, navy, olive, bronzes...pretty much anything to be honest. I suggest you search YouTube for tutorials on your eye shapw. If you have monolids you shold take a gander at michellephan, Gossmakeupartist (has vids with tips on asian/hooded eyes), kokolaroo and pursebuzz.
I hope that helps!!