Answer
cecilyy
Best eyeliner for the waterline/tightlining?
[ Edited ]

Hi! :smileyhappy: I need some recommendations on any budge-proof liners for the waterline. I have already tried the overly well-known Urban Decay 24/7 in zero and it has smudged about 1cm below my eyes...I haven't tried putting gel/liquid liner on my waterline as my eyes are sensitive and water easily.

I heard stila's smudge stick was great and also the MUFE liners. Has anyone tried them both or better and could offer a comparison? It's difficult to tell which is better when there are many of fans of each product saying that theirs is best. :\

And for those people who's eyeliner stays put on the waterline, any tips? :smileyvery-happy: For tightlining, it always seems like the eyeliner would transfer to the bottom waterline? Not sure if it's the result of bad technique or product or both. And for the lower waterline, it travels downwards as time passes. 

I think this has a lot to do with eye shape also. Some of my friends have no problems at all when using the same product. Perhaps, it's because my eyes get extra squinty when I'm laughing and the liner moves around. :smileysad: I've been sticking to the upper lashline lining for now which I use gel liners for. I like a clean and precise line but I hate that it turns into a mess. I also don't do touch-ups frequently so...any help?

EDIT: So I have gotten the stila smudegestick and the bareminerals round the clock pencil liners. I have done a hand test comparing between the two and UD 24/7 and UD definitely smudges more. I have only wore the bareminerals on my bottom waterline thus far and I am definitely repurchasing! I have combination of watery eyes(contacts made my eyes more sensitive) and oily lids so I would reccommend this to others as well! I'm  sure stila's would pass the test as it did on my hand. Thanks for the feedback ladies! :smileyvery-happy: 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 15
JulesOfWisdom
Answered
(0) Hearts

I don't have oily eyelids nor watery eyes, but I haven't had any success with the waterline. I have had success with my tight line so I've just been sticking with that until I get a new eyeliner and try try again. :-) What I've been using is NYC Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil (drugstore brand, not NYX). I've used the moody blue, black and dark brown. For me the brown stays the best. Which is another thing that I've noticed about eyeliners in general...color matters. I've had blacks that were wonderful, bought the brown and smeary mess or hard like a rock.

The one that I've heard of recently that I don't see mentioned here is Inglot AMC Eyeliner Gel in 77. As there isn't an Inglot store near me I searched and found that they are carried by beautylish. Again, haven't tried it, but heard good things so I thought that I'd pass it on. Hope this helps.

clarks18
Answered
(0) Hearts

Buxom Insider Eye Liner is really nice for waterlines.  I also like the Tarte Skinny Liners.  I am not a fan of UD's eye liner at all.  It smudges real bad on my skin.  Also when I set my waterline I rub some eye primer on my waterline very softly, apply the liner and then set it with a matching eye shadow.  You could also set the liner with a translucent powder.  Hopefully that Stila liner that you bought worked for you! 

miliESQ
Answered
(0) Hearts

I'm in the SAME position as cicilyy ... I simply CANNOT find anything that will stay put on my bottom waterline.  I've tried these products:

1. Urban Decay 24/7 in Zero

2. Urban Decay 24/7 in Perversion

2. MUFE Aqua Eyes in Pearly Brown

3. MAC TechnaKohl Liner in Graphblack

4. TARTE EmphasEYE Waterproof Clay Shadow / Liner in Matte Chocolate Brown

I'm about to give up. Any suggestions are extremely appreciated!!

polkadottedtoni
Answered
(0) Hearts

I tried urban decays 24/7 eyeliner in perversion on my upper tight line it looked amazing. But gave me raccoon eyes for three days! Im wondering if i used too much or too close to the eye but this was highly recommended. Am i doing something wrong?

Libellules
Answered
(0) Hearts

I'm a *total* dunce when it comes to eyeliner. I mean...I have sat there for hours trying to apply liquid liner, and then removing it after each botched application. (literally...I've killed an entire Sunday evening just "practicing.")

I also find that alot of highly recommended eyeliners are really cartoony on me.

However, I had a total eureka moment this weekend - enter MARC JACOBS BEAUTY Magic Marc'er Precision Pen

This stuff is *amazing*! It applies so smoothly & easily. It is really easy to control how heavy of a line I want. And it dries super fast, is long lasting, and doesnt budge (flawless application yesterday was still flawless after a 16 hour day). I had tested it on my hand the day that I bought it - and after washing my hands several times, it remained just as it was when I had tested it out hours earlier.

swfupload_1472438138149847766.jpg

hj0517
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have been using MUFE aqua pencil liner and they are great. Many color selections too. I recently tried Nars larger than life pencil liners and I think they last little longer than MUFE but limited colors. And try to wipe your waterline w/ Q-tips before you apply the liner. It really helps.  

lunasearabbit
Answered
(0) Hearts

A hand test is never as definitive as using on your eye - completely different skin 'environment'...

grilledchz
Answered
(0) Hearts

I like the Marc Jacobs liners. They're a good mix between gel and pencil. I haven't been impressed with UD pencils, but the MJ ones glide on very well.

aviscardi
Answered
(0) Hearts

I normally would say UD in perversion. Zero isn't black enough for me. However, after having the pt perk of the MJ gel eyeliner, AMAZING! it literally is the ease and feel of gel in a pencil form. Glides on, no irritation and it lasts longer.

JGSFLA
Answered
(0) Hearts

NARS NARS NARS :smileyhappy:

annekevdb
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have tried all those, and more - MUFE has worked best for me too.

akocs
Answered
(0) Hearts

I use Clinique's Quickliner on my water line everyday (Intense Chocolate). I LOVE it. It does end up smearing a tad underneath by around 2-3pm, but a quick wipe of my finger fixes that (Assuming I put it on at 6am). My only complaint is I run thru the pencil so often, it gets expensive at $15 each. I say pencil, but it's creamy.

elea33
Answered

Hi cilyy,

I find myself as disappointed as you are with using some of the highly recommended pencils that aren't supposed to run, but they do for me. Every one ends up migrating. I think it's a combo of watery eyes from time to time and oily lids/skin.

For this reason I tend to stay away from the waterline all together and will just tightline the bottom half and line the upper lash line.

Here are some of the things that have worked for me. Maybe some of the tips will work for you. It's been trial and error.

Primer is a must. My favorite is Urban Decay Primer Potion. It helps keep creasing at a minimum.

Mascara does matter! Sometimes it's really the mascara that ends up wearing onto my waterline a bit and then down into the bottom half of my eyes. Make sure what you are using doesn't end up breaking down by the end of the day. My favorite is Lancome Definicils High Definition.

Gel Liner won't migrate if you can work with it. A great bullletproof type Is Bobby Brown. There are a ton of great colors.

Stila Stay All Day Liquid Eyeliner Pen is great too. I love their color Alloy. I tend to use it as a nice winged liner look for just the upper lash line.

My favorite tight liner, which also is pretty long wearing in the upper lash line is the 3 liner colors in the Too Faced Matte Pallet (the column on the far right). There is a rich brown, navy blue, and slate grey color. They are soft when used dry but make a sharp line with a damp brush. These are my go to for the lower lash line. Because they are a more powdery formula they resist migration a bit more and oily breakdown.

My final tip: After my liner is one and before I curl my lashes and apply mascara I use a dense crease brush to tap translucent setting powder all along my crease and under my lower lash line. It really helps lock everything in place and helps the staying powder. My favorite is the Tarte Smooth Operator Finishing Powder.

Good Luck! I hope this helps.

Urban Decay - Eyeshadow Primer Potion Tube - OriginalDÉFINICILS - High Definition MascaraLong-Wear Gel Eyeliner

Stila - Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye LinerToo Faced - Matte Eye Shadow Collection  Smooth Operator™ Micronized Clay Finishing Powder with PM20™

keelybt
Answered

It's challenging to keep an eyeliner on your waterline.  The one that has worked best for me is MUFE Aqua Eyes.  The best way to keep it on is to gently dab your waterline with a tissue before applying the liner.

MAKE UP FOR EVER - Aqua Eyes

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?skuId=621300&productId=P35082&keyword=MAKE%20UP%20F...

jxw200
Answered
[ Edited ]
I found that I liked mufe better than ud but in the whole scope of things they were pretty similar. I liked too faced perfect eyes, Bobbi brown long wear pencil, and smashbox limitless. Tarina Tarantino is also good but I haven't tight lined with that.

But do you have oily lids or watery eyes (allergies, etc?) that could be the real problem. I know when I have allergies or my lids are oily the tightlining doesn't work as well. And it may be technique too, I'm not sure - I haven't been doing it for more than a year. Anyways, primer really helps with the longevity on top of a long wearing formula. Nars smudge proof is my favorite - its quite amazing!

Also I don't touch up at all (too lazy and or busy) so the nars primer really helps the lesser formulas stay on all day
Question Stats
  • 15 answers
  • 7 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • elea33
    • jxw200
    • akocs
    • aviscardi
    • cecilyy
    • miliESQ
    • clarks18