Answer
cecilyy
Best eyeliner for the waterline/tightlining?
[ Edited ]

Hi! :smileyhappy: I need some recommendations on any budge-proof liners for the waterline. I have already tried the overly well-known Urban Decay 24/7 in zero and it has smudged about 1cm below my eyes...I haven't tried putting gel/liquid liner on my waterline as my eyes are sensitive and water easily.

I heard stila's smudge stick was great and also the MUFE liners. Has anyone tried them both or better and could offer a comparison? It's difficult to tell which is better when there are many of fans of each product saying that theirs is best. :\

And for those people who's eyeliner stays put on the waterline, any tips? :smileyvery-happy: For tightlining, it always seems like the eyeliner would transfer to the bottom waterline? Not sure if it's the result of bad technique or product or both. And for the lower waterline, it travels downwards as time passes. 

I think this has a lot to do with eye shape also. Some of my friends have no problems at all when using the same product. Perhaps, it's because my eyes get extra squinty when I'm laughing and the liner moves around. :smileysad: I've been sticking to the upper lashline lining for now which I use gel liners for. I like a clean and precise line but I hate that it turns into a mess. I also don't do touch-ups frequently so...any help?

EDIT: So I have gotten the stila smudegestick and the bareminerals round the clock pencil liners. I have done a hand test comparing between the two and UD 24/7 and UD definitely smudges more. I have only wore the bareminerals on my bottom waterline thus far and I am definitely repurchasing! I have combination of watery eyes(contacts made my eyes more sensitive) and oily lids so I would reccommend this to others as well! I'm  sure stila's would pass the test as it did on my hand. Thanks for the feedback ladies! :smileyvery-happy: 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
elea33
Answered

Hi cilyy,

I find myself as disappointed as you are with using some of the highly recommended pencils that aren't supposed to run, but they do for me. Every one ends up migrating. I think it's a combo of watery eyes from time to time and oily lids/skin.

For this reason I tend to stay away from the waterline all together and will just tightline the bottom half and line the upper lash line.

Here are some of the things that have worked for me. Maybe some of the tips will work for you. It's been trial and error.

Primer is a must. My favorite is Urban Decay Primer Potion. It helps keep creasing at a minimum.

Mascara does matter! Sometimes it's really the mascara that ends up wearing onto my waterline a bit and then down into the bottom half of my eyes. Make sure what you are using doesn't end up breaking down by the end of the day. My favorite is Lancome Definicils High Definition.

Gel Liner won't migrate if you can work with it. A great bullletproof type Is Bobby Brown. There are a ton of great colors.

Stila Stay All Day Liquid Eyeliner Pen is great too. I love their color Alloy. I tend to use it as a nice winged liner look for just the upper lash line.

My favorite tight liner, which also is pretty long wearing in the upper lash line is the 3 liner colors in the Too Faced Matte Pallet (the column on the far right). There is a rich brown, navy blue, and slate grey color. They are soft when used dry but make a sharp line with a damp brush. These are my go to for the lower lash line. Because they are a more powdery formula they resist migration a bit more and oily breakdown.

My final tip: After my liner is one and before I curl my lashes and apply mascara I use a dense crease brush to tap translucent setting powder all along my crease and under my lower lash line. It really helps lock everything in place and helps the staying powder. My favorite is the Tarte Smooth Operator Finishing Powder.

Good Luck! I hope this helps.

Urban Decay - Eyeshadow Primer Potion Tube - OriginalDÉFINICILS - High Definition MascaraLong-Wear Gel Eyeliner

Stila - Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye LinerToo Faced - Matte Eye Shadow Collection  Smooth Operator™ Micronized Clay Finishing Powder with PM20™

Question Stats
  • 15 answers
  • 7 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • elea33
    • jxw200
    • akocs
    • aviscardi
    • cecilyy
    • miliESQ
    • clarks18