tina16

dull face and dark circles.

(0) Hearts

i m southasian. my skin is very dull.i have really bad dark circles.my face doesnt look healthy. i try to eat healthy. any suggestions?

tina16

Re: dull face and dark circles.

no i dnt have any specific routine. i just use cetephil face wash and argan oil as a mosturizer.

lylysa

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

The key to boosting luminocity on one's skin lies in exfoliation.

When your skin is looking dull it can be from countles of reasons, but the build up of dead and excess skin cells exhasterbate this matter by forming layers over your complexion that can prevent skin care products and even cosmetics from properly absorbing or sitting properly.

Exfoliating can be broken into two forms, physical/manual exfoliants and chemical based exfoliants.

Physical/manual based exfoliants range in products that rely on some form of physical particle that actually works on exterior layers of dead skin to buff down layers to reveal fresh and healthier skin cells. Physical exfoliants work solely on  the surface layer of skin as they are not absorbed into the skin in any way, though there are many types of particles used, avoid scrubs with actual sugar granuals (opt for sugar polymers like in Boscia's Facial Smoothing Polish) or harsh, crushed fruit seed powders unless they are micro-milled or finely ground (Ole Heriksen's Almond Polish), and go for silica particles (Philosophy's Daily MicroDelivery Scrub), pumice (Glam Glow), microcrystals (Philosophy's Resurface MicroDeliver Dual Phase Peel, which also includes a chemical based exfoliant), to jojoba beads (Peter Thomas Roth's Buffing Beads). It's always important to apply gentle to very slight pressure when using physical exfoliants as you're wanting them to do the job of breaking down the dead skin causing a dull complexion, rather than ground in the product causing it to tear, inflame, or irritate skin. Manual exfoliation is great to boost microcirculation to skin for a healthier glow to skin as it stimulates a healthy and revived sense of blood flow to the surface of the skin.

Chemical based exfoliants work in two ways, on a surface level, by helping dissolve and break down dead skin cells at the surface, but also below the surface of the skin to promote new and healthier cellular regeneration. This can allow your skin to not just be treated topically, but also allow for more maintainence in the long run. Chemical based exfoliants range from glycolic acid (fruit enzymes, also a very common form of alpha hydroxy acids or AHAs), salicylic acid (a beta hydroxy acid or BHA, which also helps with ridding skin of bacteria and oil), lactic acid (milk proteins/sugars/enzymes), kojic acid, vitamin C, mandelic acid, and an assortment of others that can fall into the AHA category, even making a product infused with PHA (poly hydroxy acids). Chemical based exfoliants are more balanced and capable of being used daily or more frequently compared to physical exfoliants, which are best used 1-2x a week, 3x max if skin is excessively dry and needs to be kept in line from flakes or dry patches.

Chemical based exfoliants range in washes (Peter Thomas Roth's Anti-Aging Cleanser or Anthony Logistics Glycolic Wash), treatment pads (PTR Complexion Correction Pads or Origins Brighter By Nature Fruit Peel Pads), masks (Philosophy's MicroDelivery One Minute Peel and Ole Heriksen's Lemon Strip Flash Peel), to systems (Philosophy's Dual Phase MIcroDelivery System as mentioned with the physical based exfoliants, which uses vitamin C microcrystals and a lactic and salicylic acid activating gel).

Take a look at this thread where I broke down in further detail chemical based exfoliants that are used to brighten/even skin tone:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Combo-Normal-Skin/Whitening-my-skin/qaq-p/408849

Though there is a difference between having skin look dull due to lack of exfoliation and skin looking dull due to discoloration caused by age, sun, and post acne marks. Though the thread above covers evening out skin tone due to discoloration, the ingredients do cross over in some aspects. Disregard the portions about hydroquinone as that inhibits melanin production and is better suited for brightening/evening skin tone with discoloration rather than overall dullness.

The mentioning of using sunscreen in the thread will also help preserve and maintain your skin to prevent things like oxidative/sun damage from zapping your complexion and making it weathered.

In terms of dark circles, take a look at this thread where I gave a run down on genetic factors and ingredients to look for that help with treating dark circles, along with product recommendations:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/All-Other-Skincare-Concerns/DREADFULL-dark-circles-Not-just-counselo...

Overall, you may want to look into products I mentioned above and in those two threads. Ole Heriksen has a great vitamin C based system that helps brighten and rejuevenate your complexion:

http://www.sephora.com/the-whole-truth-kit-P374594?skuId=1430180

That can help you maintain and keep up with the results from exfoliation.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Are you currently using any skin care products now? If so, what is your regimen and do you have and preferences for product types (paraben free/oil free/etc.) or sensitivties?

Give us some more info and we can make better recommendations to suit your skin!

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 2 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • tina16