dreamallday

VERY DRY SKIN, PLEASE HELP!!

(0) Hearts

I am looking for a better makeup routine for my very dry/flakey skin. I am 19 and quite pale and sometimes break out in my forehead and jaw line. I moisturize in the morning before putting makeup on and at night before going to bed but my face seems to not get any better once I set the makeup. It always looks very dry which to me is not appealing at all.

I am currently using La Mer Moisturizing Gel Cream which I was told would clear up my dry skin quickly but has not worked for me. After spending $280 on it I expected much better. I am also using the La Mer facial cleanser and don't know yet if it is doing anything for me. I use Clinique Exfoliating Scrub for a very long time now and it seems to work but I have never used another exfoliating scrub so I don't have anything to compare it to. After moisturizing I use the Chanel Base Lumiere Illuminating Makeup Base.

For foundation I am using MAKE UP FOR EVER HD. Which I apply with the chanel foundations brush (maybe I should use a sponge, idk)

Then i wear Chanel Less Tissages powder blush which is a lovely color, but I am wondering if I shouldn't be using powder brush. Then I use MAKE UP FOREVER Smokey lash. I rarely use eye shadow, I prefer a natural look. But lately I've been intrigued to use a luminizer so I'd love to hear which ones have woke for you.

I really want to switch foundation to one that fits my needs and gives me a natural look, but also making it seem like i have flawless skin. Which do you recomend? I would also like to hear tips on how to manage my very dry skin.

photo.JPG

ps. I am EXTREMLY intrigued by the AMOREPACIFIC Color Control Cushion Compact Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ has anyone used it? if so, how was your experience? Sorry for the long post.. kind regards.

queenofcouture

Re: VERY DRY SKIN, PLEASE HELP!!

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hey girl! I'd suggest Josie Maran's argan oil!

What it is:
A lightweight oil that can be used as a daily moisturizer or treatment for skin, hair, and nails.

What it does:
This 100% Pure Argan Oil is a legendary oil that's rich in vitamin E and essential fatty acids, and grown organically in Morocco. With its multitasking benefits, Argan Oil can be used for many areas including hydrating and nourishing skin, as a daily moisturizer, skin treatment, treating spilt ends, and softening cuticles. It's gentle enough to use on all skin types and is believed to help with skin conditions including acne. Argan Oil easily absorbs into skin to give you a youthful, dewy glow, and has astonishing healing, conditioning, and antiaging properties to keep your skin and hair nourished and revitalized and to keep you looking beautiful from head to toe.

However, if you're not keen on putting oil on your face, I'd recommend Josie Maran's Argan Daily Moisturizer SPF 40. It is a sunblock and moisturizer all in one! It contains her argan oil and I've been using it since 2011 and it improved my dry skin! Give it a go! Josie Maran has a great line of products with argan oil in them. :smileyhappy:

Hope this helps.

Shazza65

(0) Hearts

I suggest you use a product called CapriClear. I use it all the time for my dry skin and my girls use it too. It's made from coconut oil, which it doesn't smell like coconuts! It comes in a spray so it's easy to use. Get it at Ulta and give it a try! Let me know how you like it?

atexas

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I've had uber dry flaky skin since I was your age and now any time I have a flair up, I use Dr Hauschka's Rose Day Cream.  I have used products at all different price points and things costing much more didn't moisturize half as much.  It may be too heavy for you to use all the time and even I don't even need it regularly anymore. But nothing has ever done more to calm my dry sensitive skin. In fact, a lot of the very high end creams have so much fragrance that all they do is irritate my skin. But everyone's trigger is different.. could be fragrance, parabens, etc etc..  I haven't tried the particular product you mentioned but I had a big sample pack of Amore Pacific products that I wanted to love, but alas, there was so much fragrance for me.  The spf 50 sounds great though!

I hope that helps!

jenloco

Oh and one more comment- 

I have tried multi-product routines before:

Face cleanser,

exfoliator,

toner,

spot treatment, 

moisturizer, 

eye cream, 

night time moisturizer

- This was too much for me.

Sometimes less is more when you find the right products. This is just based on my personal experiences.Oh and I only exfoliate once a week to remove dead skin, etc.

For me, exfoliating everyday made my skin dry and irritated sometimes. 

Ok, that is all. =)

jenloco

I have very dry, acne prone skin. I love Sephora and think they have tons of great moisturizers, but my skin doesn't work well with cosmetic moisturizers. I have been seeing a dermatologist and started using this product called Epiduo for acne. I had NO IDEA how dry and flakey my skin would get within the first couple of weeks using the product. Anyways, the doctor told me to start using 

"Vanicream" - I had never heard of it, but I tried it and it worked awesome! It appears thick but it absorbed right into my skin perfectly. This lotion is a life saver. Some lotions clog my pores and actually make my face sweat. 

I don't sell this product or anything like that- it's just something I recently discovered and they sell it at Walgreens.

(I'm typing this off of the bottle in front of me)

"Free of dyes, lanolin, fragrance, masking fragrance, parabens, and formaldehyde"

"For prescription compounding and dry, irritated or sensitive skin"

"A non- greasy, long lasting moisturizing cream. Easy to spread, qucikly-absoirbed, and non-comedogenic which does not cause blackheads. It moisturizes the skin without exposing it to common chemical irritants found in ordinary skin care products. Gentle, effective- even on the most delicate skin"

I use it on my face and body, and I'm very happy with the results. It keeps my face "normal" all day- not dry, not greasy. 

Anyways, I just thought I would share because I have been in your situation for far too long. I'm 30 now and wish I would have found this when I was your age- my skin would definitely look younger and healthier. 

Good luck with any product you choose and keep us updated if you find any other great products. 

DTalksAll

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I'm going to pick up the AmorePacific CC cream tomorrow, I haven't heard much about it on here, or blogs, but it looks promising. 

I've tried both the gel & creme La Mer, and the creme is 100x better. It's my night-time winter moisturizer. After cleansing, toning & treating (with either PTR retinal fusion PM, or OH invigorating night gel). I pat it in & wake up with soft skin. I can tell the days I skip it because I get some dry flakes from the retinal. 

In the morning I use a cream cleanser (more hydrating) or the AmorePacific Treatment Enzyme Peel, no toner, OH Truth Serum, PTR retinal fusion AM and then a tinted moisturizer or primer & foundation. 

It took me years to figure out what products work & what don't. I'm still experimenting. And I need to change the products depending on the season. 

Do you have a clarisonic? I use that 2-3x a week it helps get the dry skin off. 

Once a week I'll do a mask/peel depending on my skin's needs. If I'm dry, I'll use OH Blue/Back Berry peel- it adds a lot of moisture to skin & is gentle. If I'm congested then I'll use glamglow. Sometimes I'll use a scrub, but the clarisonic takes care of the manual exfoliation. If I have an event or a big weekend I'll do the OH Power Peel (it's the lemon flash peel but includes an almond scrub, and a cooling mask) 

I'm thinking you might want to use 2 different cleansers; a cream cleanser like clarins or FAB in the morning to add hydration & a gel cleanser with salicylic acid at night to help with the breakouts. 

Most people don't need toner, but I find using an alcohol free one like Kate Summervile or OH at night will help pick up any traces of makeup left behind and allow your serums & moisturizers to penetrate better. 

It's not sold in sephora, but skinceuticals has a serum that's just for hydration called Hydrating B5 gel. I used it when I was getting microderm & was peeling non-stop. It really helped me heel quicker. 

You might want to switch to a foundation that has more moisture, or a different primer. I really like the Hourglass SPF15 primer. 

YSL has a nice highlight pen. I keep it in my purse at all times. I use it around my mouth to make my lips look fuller, under eyes, highlight on the nose/over cheek bones, but it doesn't cover acne scars well. 

dreamallday

(0) Hearts

Thanks you the detailed advice!

Yes i've had clarisonic since i was 16 but havent used it much, after reading your expirence with it i i will begin to use it 2-3 times a week.

I have the La Mer Tonic but ussually forget to use it. Next time i go to the store i will be buying the La Mer cream. I'm also going to get all the OH products you mentioned because this is the second time i hear about the wonders they do for people with skin like us. 

Thank you for the kind help

DTalksAll

Remember that just because something works for one person, doesn't mean it will work for you. Take the time to learn about ingredients; which ones your skin likes/dislikes. Also try to just introduce once new skincare item at time. Incase you have a reaction or to measure results, you'll know the product that did it. Also some ingredients may cause purging. There's a difference between having a bad reaction to someting & getting a few breakouts. If you're products weren't doing much for acne & you introduced stronger ingredients, it will bring up everything that's under your skin. This is normal & should regulate after a few weeks. Don't give up on a product unless you have a reaction to it. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • queenofcouture
    • jenloco
    • atexas
    • dreamallday
    • Shazza65