Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

Routine help for dry skin - order to apply these products?

Any other product recs for my dry, flaky skin? I have a skin condition and some psoriasis-like patches/texture on my cheeks, however generally my skin isn't sensitive and I can keep this at bay with a good AHA.

AM:

-Cleanser (PC Skin Recovery)

-Toner (Fresh Rose Deep Hydration or PC Skin Recovery or P50 - any suggestions for AM?)

-Vitamin C? (Drunk Elephant C-Firma)

-AHA? Do I use any in the AM? In conjunction with C-Firma? I have PC 8% AHA gel, 10% AHA liquid and Sunday Riley Good Genes. I d

o need to use AHAs daily to prevent dead skin buildup, but not sure if I should use 2x/day - my skin isn't sensitive.

-Also - May Coop Raw Sauce - AM or PM?
-Drunk Elephant B-Hydra under moisturizer?
-Moisturizer with SPF - any recs? Is it ok to skip this if I have SPF in my foundation and set with Coola setting spray with SPF?

PM:
-Cleanser (PC Skin Recovery for now - any other suggestions for dry flaky skin? I was going to try YTTP's Kale/Spinach etc cleanser however there is a retinol derivative in it and I'm pregnant - can't use)
-Toner (Fresh Rose Deep Hydration or PC Skin Recovery OR P50 - any suggestions for PM?) -AHA next? PC 8% AHA gel, 10% AHA liquid and Sunday Riley Good Genes - OR Drunk Elephant Babyfacial mask for exfoliation instead?

When to add in May Coop Raw Sauce?

DE B-Hydra?

Ceramidin Liquid? 
PC 10% Niacinamide Booster?
Drunk Elephant Babyfacial mask?

Tatcha Luminous Dewy Skin Mist?

I also have Dr. Jart Ceramidin Liquid & Cream, a few choices for moisturizers: Belif Moisturizing Bomb, Drunk Elephant Lala Retro, FAB Ultra Repair, etc. - anything along these lines I should/could try? Though these all seem to be working great (FAB Ultra Repair isn't QUITE moisturizing enough though)...

Oils: Sunday Riley Flora, Sunday Riley Juno, Fresh Seaberry - I rotate these. Was using Caudalie c15 Polyphenol Overnight Detox but had to return as it's not pregnancy safe. Also was using Sunday Riley Luna - also had to return due to pregnancy.

I realize there are a lot of products that can substitute for one another but I like to have a few to choose from 🙂

Re: Routine help for dry skin - order to apply these products?

@MANDI524 I've been starting to use more and more products, and also struggle with knowing when to use them and having it all fit into my daily routine.  I'm starting to use afternoon skincare - right after I get home from work.  Would that be good for you, too?

I usually get home around 6 and don't get a chance to start my routine until 8ish when my 2 year old goes to bed... I wish I could do it earlier!

@MANDI524 I agree that it's super hard to find the time for good skincare.  And you have way more on your plate than I do.  Best of luck!

1. AHA, like glycolic acid as well as lactic acid and retinol can cause sun sensitivity so they are best used at night (most will say so, and advise you to use a high SPF during the day or avoid the sun as well).

2. You can use vit C serum in the AM. May Coop raw sauce can be used AM or PM. DE B-hydra, ceramidin liquid and PC Niacinamide Booster all can be used as a serum AM or PM. DE Babyfacial should be used 1-2 times per week at night, followed with gentle nourishing moisturizer and don't use with retinol. Tatcha mist after all the skincare any time your skin feels a bit dry. As for cleanser, since you have dry skin I recommend Tatcha oil cleanser or Fresh Soy. As for toner, personally I'm a HUGE fan of Dior Toning Lotion with Velvet Peony when my skin is dry and sensitive, it makes my skin feel sooooo soft!!! But if you like acids then Pixi Glow Tonic (with 5% glycolic) might be more your style.

3. Your makeup CANNOT provide enough sun protection! You need a nickel's worth of product on your face to get the SPF they specified. Can you imagine generously slathering on foundation? Also, your SPF looses effect after 2-3 hours in the sun, which is why everybody emphasizes that you need to reapply it. With makeup on it's in convenient, THAT's where you use either SPF powder or spray (Coola you mentioned). You need a sunscreen, or moisturizer with SPF, of preferably SPF30. SPF15 is ok but any lower is laughable/pointless. Personally I'm a big fan of AmorePacific Natural Protector SPF35 or Peter Thomas Roth All Day Max Defense SPF30. I have dry/combo skin and don't use anything under it usually. Since you are using moisturizing essence/serum underneath it should be moisturizing enough for you. If not.......my absolutely favorite is AmorePacific Future Response SPF30 (it was amaaaazing when I went to Japan for a week, fixed my dry/flaky skin from plane ride like nothing happened and my skin feels supple/firm/soft). I hate the price, but if you can afford to splurge and there are promos ($$off from Sephora, triple points at Nordie or GWP from brand website etc) I recommend it.

I assume you know you shouldn't dump all the products on your face and expect to look like Emma Watson. Some of them are similar and as a rule of thumb, always try ONE new product at a time for ~a week before substituting/adding something new so you know whether your skin react positively or negatively to each product, and you may find you don't need some of them.

Hi mandi524, 

You have lots of great products already for dry, flaky skin; For me, I think it what worked was exfoliation and adding hydration to the skin (via essences, mists and hyaluronic acid serums and good moisturizers). I also make sure that my face is damp (by using mists/essence before I add any oil so it can absorb into my skin.  I've found Caroline Hiron's blog and youtube videos to be incredible resources for figuring out what would work. 

Here's the routine that has worked for me/my suggestions.  

AM

• Cream cleanser (I don't know if PC Skin Recovery  is creamy. I currently use Korres Yoghurt Cleanser and I've heard great things about the Ren Cleansing Milk as well. 
  • Toner - both are good options - I haven't used either) but not sure about P50 during pregnancy; I use FAB pads a few times a week. 
  • Essence - I love May Coop and I use it right after I've washed my face (I keep my face damp) or after toner. For extra hydration, you can add several layers of it - look up the Korean 7 skin method (I don't do 7 - uses up too much product; but will do 2 or 3 if my skin's dry). You can add B-Hydra here too.
  • Serum - I use DE C Firma or Caudalie Radiance Serum (to treat hyper pigmentation) You could add an oil here like any of the ones you mentioned - just make sure your skin is still damp from the essence or that you mist beforehand. 
  • Moisturizer - for the summer, I'm using a Kiehl's oil-free moisturizer but any of the ones you mentioned DE La La or Belif (aqua or cream bomb depending on time of year and your needs would work. I have my eye on the Josh Rosebrook nutrient day cream with SPF after I use my current products. I wouldn't suggest relying on only the SPF in your foundation

PM

• Double cleanse - using an oil or balm first - right now loving Farmacy Green Clean and following it up with Korres cleanser. I use a clean face cloth to take make-up/dirt off which gives me some exfoliation. 
  • Exfoliation - I'm currently rotating Herbivore Blue Tansy mask, Good Genes, Baby Facial (one a week only); and a physical exfoliant sometimes - I have May Lindstrom Clean Dirt and deluxe samples from Lancer Polish. 
  • Hydration - May Coop + a treatment oil (currently rotating Kiehl's Midnight Recovery, May Lindstrom Youth Dew; I've heard Ceramidin Liquid + Cream are great for this. 
  • Moisturizer - DE Lala Retro or Korres Yogurt Sleeping Facial are great. 

Adding a mist to your routine would be great - I find the Tatcha really nice but extremely expense for the size. Their Essence is a better deal and on my list to buy during the next VIB sale. For now May Coop and the Blithe Essence are fine for me. I have been enjoying Josh Rosebrook's hydrating accelerator in between steps for additional hydration. 

Good Luck! 

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing