Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

New to Skincare..please help!

So my daily skin routine is very simple and I'm looking to amp it up a bit.My skin type is normal to dry (especially dry under my eyes) and I've also noticed it's uneven and dull.  I've been reading posts and questions but it's extremely overwhelming. Can anyone recommend some specific products and tell me exactly what they do (toner, cleanser, serum, essence, etc) ?  Also, is it too early to start some anti-aging products? Thank you so much in advanced! I am 22 btw!

Here is what I am doing right now..
I usually wake up and just wash my face with water and then moisturize + spf before makeup. At night I use makeup wipes, aveeno cleanser and aveeno overnight cream. 

Re: New to Skincare..please help!

Because you have normal to dry skin, I would focus on products that are hydrating! I tend to go for gel consistencies because they sink right into the skin and are weightless. They do not feel heavy and do not make you feel oily.

As you are new to skincare, I would focus on a 4 step routine with another step that is optional.

1. Cleanse: clean skin is happy skin! Make sure to wash twice daily with a cleanser designed for your skin type. A very gentle cleanser is the Skin Laundry Gentle Foaming Cleanser. It does not dry out the skin and leaves it feeling soft and calm. 

2. Exfoliate: exfoliation is necessary to help remove dead surface skin cells that wreak havoc on the skin and makeup.

2.1 You can easily combine steps by using an exfoliating wash. If not, I would opt for a chemical exfoliant such as the Boscia  Exfoliating Peel Gel. The pomegranate is filled with great antioxidants which leaves the skin looking radiant.

3. Hydrate: all skin types need moisture! Hydrated skin stays youthful and firm. The best product I have ever used for hydration is the Drunk Elephant B-Hydra gel. It is definitely a game changer when it comes to hydration. Coupled with all the other benefits, it is by far my favourite. A good serum to put on before the Drunk Elephant is the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Hydrating Serum. It is like water for the skin. It sinks in very fast and prepares the skin for absorption of other products.

4. Protect: protect your skin from damaging UVA/UVB rays by limiting sun exposure or by wearing a broad spectrum SPF. The Bare Minerals Prep Step SPF 50 is a staple in my regime. It is a physical sunscreen that contains a high percentage of zinc oxide which gives additional benefits for the skin. The sunscreen also acts as a primer if you are going to be wearing makeup. It feels velvety smooth and does not leave a white cast. I only wear physical sunscreens opposed to chemical sunscreens as they not only give benefits to the skin but I just have a thing where I feel more comfortable that the rays bounce off my face rather then absorb the rays which chemicals filters do.

4.1. You can easily combine steps by using a moisturizer with sunscreen, or by limiting sun exposure.

5. OPTIONAL. Treatment: your skin may need additional treatment beyond the 4 basics. Seek a dermatologist for more serious or persistent skin issues. Treatment products can be used in addition to the 4 basics or may be integrated within them! Hydrating sprays are good if your skin is feeling dry. Clinque moisture surge hydrating spray is great. Oils are becoming more and more popular as well. They can be used as a replacement for a nighttime moisturizer.

I hope this helps! Please do not hesitate to message me if you have any questions!

Good luck!

Thank you both so much.. I do exfoliate 2x a week but I plan on switching my products up. Thanks again, your replies were so helpful!

Do you exfoliate? If you don't, a good gentle exfoliator will take care of the dull skin. Choose an exfoliator with enzyme or acid in the ingredients will help refine skin texture and lighten pigmentation. If you have dry skin try Tatcha gentle rice enzyme powder, Ole Henriksen Polishing Sugar Mask, PTR Pumpkin mask or Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion.

It's not too early to start looking at anti-aging products, but make sure you are using ones for "premature aging" or "first sign of aging" or environmental stress and not the $200 wrinkle cream because your skin won't be able to absorb/need the good stuff and it's just wasted money. Look for products with ingredients that are all rounders like vitamin C, glycolic acid, retinol, enzyme, hyaluronic acid. 

I'm in my late 20s, in the winter when I have drier skin I like using:

- Makeup remover: Tatcha oil cleanser or Koh Gen Do cleansing water. Drugstore makeup wipes often contain alcohol and other drying chemicals, although I heard good things about Simple and Neutrogena.

- Cleanser: Boscia Purifying Cleanser. Perricone Nutriv and Origins New World cleansers are also nice depending on your price point.

- Toner/essence: it's not a MUST but it's nice to have. Dior Gentle Toning Lotion with Velvet Peony extract is hands down THE best toner I've used for hydrated, clean and velvety soft skin. I hate the price, but I can't do without it. Lancome blue toner (alcohol-free) is nice as well. For essence I like SK-II, but if you are mainly looking for hydration Secret Key is nice. Again, if you are overwhelmed/don't have money, this is a step it's ok to skip.

- Serum: this is where you focus on issues with uneven skintone etc. Vitamin C serum such as Ole Henriksen Truth Serum or Perricone vitamin C serum works for all skin types. If you don't have sensitive skin, you can try retinol or glycolic acid such as PTR Retinol PM or Drunk Elephant glycolic serum. If you want a serum that deals with pigmentation but is gentle, try Caudalie brightening serum.

- Eye cream: eyes is where it shows first signs of aging on your face. I'm a big fan of Origins eye cream Eye Doctor or Plantscription because they can be applied all over (including eyelid) instead of just on the undereye area. For a super lightweight finish to wear under makeup/other cream I like Clarins eye concentrate.

Cream/moisturizer and SPF depends on your price point, as long as they moisturize and you use SPF 15+ then it's fine. It's recommended to change/add ONE new product at a time and try it for a week to see if it works before adding/trying a new one so your skin don't get overwhelmed. I recommend try using a good exfoliator first, then add a good serum, then an eye cream. The rest switch or not as you see fit depending on your skin and budget.

Hi Ggxxl, It's not to early to start using anti-aging products. I started at 19 😉 At your age, prevention and maintenance is key. What you will benefit from is anti-oxidants, hydration and sunscreen. Ole Henriksen Truth serum has antioxidants which will help protect your skin against environmental damage. The Vitamin C will help with brightening your skin and it also helps maintain hydration through out the day.

We have a trial set available right now with the Truth serum, the Face the Truth Cleanser and the Truth Advanced Moisturizing Crème. 

As the skin under your eyes is so delicate, it is important to have something designed for the eye area. I would recommend trying Clinique All About Eyes Rich since you said you are experiencing a lot of dryness. 

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing