nandini05

I need a good moisturiser for super dry skin!

I'm 25 and I use clarins early wrinkle correction cream and was really happy with it until i found out my face has started to flake especially around the nose. Please suggest a good moisturiser that isn't very exorbitant.
End0ra

Re: I need a good moisturiser for super dry skin!

(0) Hearts

I agree with what the others below are saying about oils. I've had dry, flaky and sensitive skin all my life and Clarins has absolutely been the best moisturizer line for me by far. But sometimes it needs a little help, either because it's a seasonal thing or sometimes just because. I don't think this is a moisturizer issue, I think you need to add to your routine.

Are you using this cream day and night? It's a day cream. Dry skins need extra help at night, which is where the oils could come in.  But I think you should look at a dedicated night cream.  Also, are you using the cream for dry skins?  Clarins always do versions for normal/all skins and dry.  Make sure you've got the dry one.

Staying in the Clarins stable, you could try the Multi-Active Night Recovery Cream for Dry Skin and keep what you're using for day.  It costs about the same as the moisturizer you're already using.

But oils.  Rosehip oil is great. It's full of Vitamin C and has been great for my skin. It helped stop the flakes.  It could also be worth incorporating a peel pad into your routine, like the Philip Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle Peel Pads. There are others, but these are very well priced and will gently exfoliate your flakes away.

laynebr

(0) Hearts

Make sure you're exfoliating those flakes off your skin and to help your products actually sink in the skin. Sometimes products can be too heavy and cause build up, even on dry skin.

Also, make sure every step your taking in your skin care routine is nourishing your skin. Ex: Use a milk cleanser instead of a foaming one etc...

Cerave is a great affordable moisturizer, it replenishes your skin of all the lipids that are lacking in your skin mantle.

MarciaBrady

(0) Hearts

I have had a lot of trouble with dry skin and patches in the past but since I started using Tarte Maracuja oil at night my skin has done a total turnaround. Josie Maran makes a phenomenal light oil as well. 

dazzlingcrystal

I second the Tarte Maracuja oil, or any facial oil in general. Just pat a thin layer before your regular moisturiser and you can keep using your clarins cream!

Sonny4President

The thicket moisturizer I have ever used would be FIRST AID BEAUTY
Ultra Repair Cream, it deeply hydrates your skin, like they say and I can assure you this will give you ALL DAY MOISTURE, I've tested out a lot of moisturizers myself, since I have dry skin from low ends like Olay mid like Origins and even Chanel and I can assure you if you want lock in moisture, this is the moisturizer for you, even in cold weather!

http://www.sephora.com/ultra-repair-cream-P248407?skuId=1217744

heartsmyface

(0) Hearts

I just tried a sample of that stuff and it is awesome!!!!  I'll be purchasing it full size! 

laurenb703

I also love the CeraVe like others have said! Another one that I use when my face is super dry in the winter is the Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream... it is a little more expensive but I feel like it lasts a long time and really gets my skin back to normal.

magrat22

(0) Hearts

I use Paula's Choice Skin Recovery line for grumpy skin and it's made a huge difference to mine.  Her skin recovery moisturizer is what I use at night,  I agree with Lylysa that exfoliating is an important step, it's not drying if you get the right product for your skin type it actually helps your skin to breathe.  I use a chemical one for my dry/sensitive skin that is 1% BHA lotion, so very mild.  I have rosacea so the BHA helps clean out the pores and stimulate cell regeneration. It also gets rid of any dead skin (flakiness) and in the process smooths out my skin.  

I also used the CeraVe it's excellent but when I started Paula's line I wanted to use all products from the same line so I'd avoid sensitivity issues. 

Hope that helps.

TheSocialQuota

(0) Hearts

In addition to a good moisturizer, try looking into doing a sugar scrub once or twice a week. It will lightly exfoliate the top layer of skin in addition to leaving behind oils to condition the new skin. You can either make your own or purchase one with scented oils you like.

gmoss90

I have super dry skin also!  I have 3 favs for moisturizer: Peter Thomas Roth (red jar) makes my skin feel like silk, Philosophy take a deep breath feels great, and for a thick moisturizer I like L'Occotaine.  I use the L'occitane in the am and PTR at night. I like to use Philosophy after swimming.  They are all great!

NYStephA

(0) Hearts

My absolute fave moisturizer that is very lightweight yet provides fantastic hydration is the Airelle Intense Repair Complex.  It's packed with anti-aging and wrinkle fighting ingredients and makes my skin look and feel amazing! 

buzzbee3

First Aid Beauty. Fantastic stuff! The entire line is amazeballs, especially the Ultra Repair Cream http://www.sephora.com/first-aid-beauty

HarlemJPN

My first piece of advice: always listen to lylysa! 

My my second piece of advice: Sephora has a couple of excellent moisturizers. Dr Gross's Age Erase is good. Dr Gross hyaluronic acid moisturizer is divine (but sadly is in a jar, which I transfer to a tube when I get it). Better still -- try adding Dr Jart's max water sleeping facial to your routine. You put it on last thing at night. It has helped me tremendously with tretinoin-related flaking and winter eczema. It isnt cheap, but one bottle will last 6 months or more of 3-4x/week use.

for drugstore brands -- I agree that CeraVe PM is excellent.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

*high five for another CeraVe fan* :smileyvery-happy:

IAmLadyLiterary

(0) Hearts

My favourite is Lush's Celestial, it leaves my skin so soft and hydrated and it smells amazing!

maltipoo66

Hi!  I agree with lylysa about exfoliating.  Also, when my skin got really dry, I used the CeraVe pm moisturizer twice a day, and after a few days my skin was completely back to normal (now I only use it at night).  It's available at pretty much any drugstore-my dermatologist recommended it to me and it really made a big difference.  Hope that helps!

lylysa

CeraVe in the HOUUUSE! :smileyvery-happy: I love me some CeraVe too! It's formula is so basic, but it packs a punch with what it does include...not to mention it makes utilizing ceramides and hyaluronic acid at a very affordable price (leaving money for spending elsewhere...oh boy! :smileytongue:).

lylysa

Was your skin in actually need of wrinkle correction, as in it was already suffering from wrinkles? Granted at the age of 25, wrinkles aren't the immediate affect to come to mind, but everyone's skin can vary.

If your skin wasn't wrinkled or even showing signs of fine lines/textural change it's not uncommon that the formula may have been too rich or potent and caused the flaking reaction.

Are you currently exfoliating or using any peels? What does your AM and PM skin care regimen consist of? Was your skin dry before using the Clarins moisturizer? Have there been any changes in weather/environmental factors or even diet, health, and lifestyle to bring on changes in skin and how it may react to products?

nandini05

(0) Hearts

My skin has been extremely dry since i was a kid. I never had a breakout problem even as a teen which I think was a positive. It has always been flaky and when i started using The Body Shop's hemp cream it subsided a little but i didnt like its smell so i dicontinued when I started using clarins. I've been using clarins for over a year now and the flakiness only just started a month ago.

I am not using any exfoliants as it is known that they dry out the skin further. I sometimes use the dior hydrating toner in the mornings and caudalie sos vinosource serum. I top them with the moisturiser. I use the serum at night and top it with clarins. I also use the dior eye sorbet at night (and am happy with that!). I rarely use face washes as most of them cause my skin to turn red. I just wash my face with water. 

lylysa

Exfoliation may be an important key here, granted everyone's skin cycle does follow a natural exfoliation process; however, when conditions change (internal and external), cells can "stick" to skin longer, leading to a change in texture and even preventing products from absorbing down as well (hence why some items can/may flake or roll of skin, or even feel as they just "linger" at the surface).

There is a huge difference in physical and chemical exfoliants. Often the fear or worry that scrubs/exfoliants may dry out skin stem from the thought that they will be too rough or expose too much, leaving skin vulnerable. It's important to follow up with proper moisturizing/conditioning to prevent this and even practicing sun safety.

Physical exfoliants use actual phystical particles that can range from jojoba beads, silica beads, sugar, and crushed fruit seed powders with the last two being a bit more rough as edges are jagged and misuse can lead to greater risk of microtears on skin compared to the first two options. PEs are great at tackling immediate surface issues like dry or flaky patches but it's important to let the particules do their job and aid with a mild pressure that is more like a massage. Pressing or grinding product onto skin can damage and cause further issues.

Chemical exfoliants tend to utilize various acids (alpha hydroxy acids cover lactic, glycolic, and citric, which are the most common and beta hydroxy acid covers salicylic which aids in oil, pore, or blemish issues). Lactic is sourced from milk proteins/enzymes and is more gentle as the particle is larger and doesn't penetrate as far as glycolic and aids in soothing redness/sensitivities as well. Glycolic is sourced from sugar enzymes (rather than sugar crystals like PEs) from fruits or botanical sources like sugarcane, pineapple, papapa, and pumpkin while citric acid can be soured from oranges, lemons, and grapefruits. CEs break down excess surface cells but also boost and promote healthier cellular regeneration, ensuring you're replacing what you're losing, making it service on a two-part aspect.

There are many scrubs that combine PEs and CEs together for a hybrid like product and with mild use of 1-2x a week, skin can really benefit.

Are you aware of what in cleansers you react to? It's important to also properly cleanse, even if you don't wear make up as daily pollutants and toxins can cling onto skin and their removal is important.

You may also begin to shift focus to ingredients such as conditioning oils (naturally sourced like argan, maracuja, jojoba, safflower, grape seed, avocado, etc.) to introduce vital fatty acids to skin along with sodium hyaluronate which binds moisture drawn from the atmosphere to skin so it doesn't feel heavy, along with ceramides which increase moisture retention in cells.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 16 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • maltipoo66
    • lylysa
    • buzzbee3
    • NYStephA
    • nandini05
    • laynebr