Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin

How to fix dry, powdery makeup?

So I've been using Tarte's Shape Tape Concealer and Pixi's H2O Skin Tint and I find it looks very dry and powdery especially on the nose and between the brows. I've tried exfoliating and using masks and I use First Aid Beauty's Ultra Repair Cream Intense Hydration for a moisturizer. I've also tried multiple primers including Too Faced Hangover Primer, Smashbox Iconic Photo Finish Foundation Primer, Smashbox Photo Finish Pore Minimizing Foundation Primer , First Aid Beauty Coconut Smoothie Priming Moisturizer and Benefit's Porefessional Primer. It looks this way whether I put powder on top or not. I've also tried Tarte's Rainforest of the Sea Marine Boosting Mist and Vichy Thermal Water spray before and after application. I've use a beauty blender, brush and my fingers and still the same. Any other suggestions? Do you think it's my skin, the products, or something else? Would you recommend a different primer? I have normal to dry (not extremely dry or flaky) skin, not many pores, can get redness at the base of my cheeks and sometimes minor acne.

Re: How to fix dry, powdery makeup?

Use MAC fix+ when you are done applying all your makeup. It will take away the powdery look and make you makeup look more like skin.

Hi @Kaitlyn336

I'd maybe look into trying different products. As people have mentioned, it sounds like you're following your skincare routines properly, hydrating properly, and tried hydrating primers and sprays. Maybe avoid using these products in those areas and use something else, or just don't use them at all! 

XOXO,
Marieke

It sounds like you are exfoliating/moisturizing properly. If it's not the skincare, have you tried a different concealer/tint instead of different primers? I really want to like Smashbox foundation but no matter what I try it looks dry on me while Dr. Jart+ looks perfectly natural on me with just a few pat and no other products. Or it could be technique, dab/press with dampened beautyblender might work better than buffing with a brush.

Have you tried any acid peels? My sister had the same problem. I just got her into skincare (she's 19) and despite using the clarisonic and moisturizing sufficiently, her makeup would always look like it was just sitting on top of her skin (dry, flaky). She tried one of my Dr. Gross peels and her face instantly looked glowy, smooth, and moisturized, and her makeup applied effortlessly and looked amazing. 

I never noticed such a drastic difference on myself but now I know that those peels are a miracle worker.  🙂

Tarte shape tape is not for everybody. I wanted to love it but it made me look 100 years old it looked dry on me and there was no way to fix it. 😒

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing