Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

Hope In a Jar Night - WHAT IS THAT SMELL???

So I used a sample of this last night and WOW- I love it! It absorbed quickly and left my skin feeling GREAT this morning. As soon as I put it on it felt like my skin plumped up a bit. I have been super dry lately and this really helped! HOWEVER- WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE SMELL? It literally smells RANCID, like mold or mildew or the inside of a garbage can. Is it just me??? I have never tried Philosophy skin care before, just their body wash, and was NOT expecting this!

Anonymous Insider

Re: Hope In a Jar Night - WHAT IS THAT SMELL???

I got a deluxe sample from Sephora (100 pt perk) a year ago. Recently I rediscovered it and found that it has separated (white with a yellowish oil) and smell like hell. I couldn't stand it and threw it away 😞

Same thing happened to me, I bought a jar during hautelook sale. As soon as I put it on my face, my eyes were watery because of the stinky smell. I tried to put it on for another couple of days, but eventually just gave up and stopped using it. My sister on the other hand didn't mind the smell and loves the stuff.

I went to Macy's, Nordstrom, and local Sephora to try a better smelling one, but they all smell like that. All of the hope in the jar smell like rotten orange.

Their bodywashes on the other hand smell heavenly! I'm super in love with the chocolate one, it's just too drying for my skin.

To me it smells like somebody boiled pepper and plastic together. However, I can assure you not all Philosophy skincare smells like that (just their most popular one, heh). I have their purity cleanser and Take a Deep Beathe gel cream and they both have a mild clean scent.

I'm laughing right now - I actually threw a foil packet away of this yesterday because I thought I had gotten an old one that had gone bad!!! Is that really how it's supposed to smell?!

Anonymous Insider

It does smell terrible. I stopped it a few years ago because I just couldn't get past the smell. I find the serum smells as well but disappears after a few minutes. I love the serum.

Mine separated into a waxy thick goo and a watery oil i thought it was old i shook it up and opened it and half of it spilled everywhere. The smell is awful it feels like acid sprayed in my eyes they are tearing up right now as i type. Mostly from the hope in a jar and partly from laughter. I guess everyone has the same issues with this stuff. I can never leave it on my face long enuf to see any benefits. And i only try to use it once in a blue moon when i forget why i stopped using it the last time. Then I'm like oh yeah thats why. If anyone ever breaks in my apt I'm dumpin this in their eyes its worse than mace its like waxy acid. But why? What is the reason for this?

Hope in a Jar Night smells heavenly comparing to the day version of Hope in a Jar, I can deal with the smell of the Night cream, but had to return the Day one, I just wanted to barf every time I was putting it on.

So it's not you, this stuff does stink, but it also does wonders to your skin... Like the French say - beauty requires sacrifice. 

Thats too funny- I actually broke open a sample of the day and it was smelly but not AWFUL like the night. I didn't find the day cream to be THAT great, but the night cream might be worth it.

Anonymous Insider

I had the same issue with the regular Hope In a Jar... It is absolutely horrid. And I am not sensitive to smells 😞

Seriously- I don't mind any kind of scented products in general, but this is bizarre. It wasn't even like a "hmm this is perfumey" smell like with a lot of Lancome, Elizabeth Arden type creams (aka "old lady smell", lol) it was more of a "OH GOD SOMETHING IS DEAD INSIDE HERE" smell.

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing