arielaaaaaaaa

Hi, Please help! Dry skin Problems!!

I have Very dry skin! I've tried tons of moisturizers, oils, and moisturizing masks, but after a few hours of wearing makeup my skin starts flaking. It's really bad around my nose and chin. I can't seem to find a solution. I was hoping to get some suggestions on products and ideas. It's pretty frustrating that nothing is really helping. 

arielaaaaaaaa

Re: Hi, Please help! Dry skin Problems!!

Thanks, I might be over exfoliating. I'll take that into consideration. I have tried the buffing beads, and i do like them, i might switch back to that. And i do always moisturize right away. Finding a balance with my skin is hard. My acne got pretty bad at one point, and treating it is what dried it out, I was using murad and it really cleared it up, now all i use is the Murad skin perfecting lotion which keeps my breakouts at bay. but isn't very moisturizing. 

lylysa

Maybe you can tap a drop or two of oil onto the super dry, parched areas and then add the Murad lotion on top.

I'm sorry to hear that battling acne threw your skin into a dry spot :smileysad:, that's never fun to be dealing with one issue and then finding more to treat!

I know PTR has the blemish buffing beads as well, so if you're looking for a weekly blemish treatment and exfoliating one it may work, that way you're not overloading your skin too often with acne treatment ingredients, but you still get to tackle the dry skin.

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Thanks, you've been incredibly helpful!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

You're welcome, Ariela! :smileyhappy: It's my pleasure to help! Feel free to kick me a personal message any time if you have more questions or want to run over anything!

lylysa

[ Edited ]

Both those scrubs used together and for 2-3 times a week might be too rough on your skin, especially if whatever moisturizer you use after isn't immediately applied or not hydrating enough.

Sometimes overexfoliating or being too rough can lead to your skin becoming sensitized. You can send messages to your skin that it needs to replace skin cells faster and faster if you're exfoliating too much or too roughly, leading to patches that are dry and flaky.

Try using a creamy cleanser like First Aid Beauty's Cream cleanser, which doesn't have sulfates so it won't strip skin of essential oils but also conditions with allatonin, aloe, and glycerin. I saw in your post to the Ask the Experts you're using the Boscia Detox Cleanser, this might be drying your skin out more as charcoal draws oils and sebum away from skin, purifying it, but if that's not the main issue at hand or what is to be treated, those ingredients may be dehyrating your skin.

Try using the exfoliators you have just 1-2x a week max, and don't press hard or use too much pressure, just let the product do the work with your gently massage the product onto skin in circular motions. If after a week or two you're not noticing any changes, you might switch to a more gentle exfoliant like Peter Thomas Roth's Botanical Buffing Beads, which uses soft jojoba beads.

Follow up washing/exfoliating immediately with any treatment like eye cream or serum and then seal everything in with your moisturizer or oil. CeraVe's PM lotion is great as it contains moisture binding ingredients like ceramides and humectants to keep skin hydrated and doesn't break the bank.

You can also follow up your exfoliating treatments with the Origins Drink Up mask or other hydrating masks like Apivita's Royal Jelly Masks.

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Thank you for all the suggestions, and i currently have the origins drink up mask and i use it all the time but it doesn't help significantly

carolang

(0) Hearts

Origins Drink Up Intensive overnight mask! I was getting very dry skin from acne medications/retinols with red peeling and flaking... my josie maran argan oil did nothing for this. Exfoliate well and use this mask. You will not be disappointed. I got the rec from a similar thread I posted here, actually. I bought  the drink up 10 minute mask as well for us after my origins charcoal mask... but try the intensive mask for overnight and see what you think - smells apricot-y and is unbelieveably thick and hydrating - plus its more natural of a product than a lot of what is out there. Also get a good daytime moisturizer for winter (thankfully its almost over!) origins has some good options (make a difference).

NYStephA

If you are experiencing REALLY bad flaking around your nose and chin, and especially if you have some redness around it, you may have a skin condition called Seborrheic Dermatitis, and you should consult with a dermatologist because all the moisturizer and oils in the world won't cure it.  Good luck!

mityren

(0) Hearts

this is going to sound  little odd but it worked for  me. above my mouth i have super dry flaky skin so  after i exfoliate i use  jack black mr fixit wound rescue. s1240431-main-grid.jpg

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Thank you, thats helpful! I will definitly try some of those products/tips

CMW51

I am in my late 20's, live in the often frigid North East, have very sensitive skin and have struggled with dryness, flaking for a very long time.  I have tried dozens of high end products searching for something that provides the level of moisture I need but have found that the 'dry skin' products at many of the more on-trend brands just aren't strong enough for me.  The best combination of products I have found is the following:

Cleanser: Korres Milk Protein Foaming Cleanser or Eve Lom Cleanser (I know a lot of people think you have to use soap on your face twice a day, but I only use a cleanser at night.  I've found if I do it twice my skin dries out too much so I followed a tip from a French beautician and in the morning I rinse with warm water only and then apply my day moisturizer)

Toner: Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion (I only do every other day or my skin dries out)

Moisturizer: For the day I use Clinique Superdefense Age Defense Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 25 for Very Dry to Dry Skin, and at night I use Clinique Super Rescue Antioxidant Night Moisturizer for Very Dry to Dry Skin

If I have a particularly dry area (around the nose or somewhere I used an acne spot treatment) I use a dab of Josie Maran Argan Oil.  

Good Luck!

cherrybombtastic

(0) Hearts

If you have dry skin and you haven't eliminated sulfates from your cleanser, I would try seeking one without them. If you still get a tight feeling the moment you wash off your cleanser, search for a new one. A lot of times even creamy cleansers will have menthol for that "refreshing" "clean" feeling a lot of people covet. I would try using a cleanser from REN. Even the brand's acne line isn't drying, so you're in good hands with that brand. After switching your cleanser, look for products with glycerin to combat the dryness. Also, remember to avoid alcohol-based products. I hope this helps and good luck!

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

I exfoliate 2-3 times a week. I use Ole Henrikson Walnut Scrub and Exfolikate. I recently started using the Exfolikate but i've had my dry skin problem for over a year now. 

atexas

(0) Hearts

The most hydrating and soothing moisturizer I've used by a long shot (at any price!) is Dr Hauschka Rose Day Cream.
The Algenist overnight cream is also pretty good but is also much more expensive.  

lylysa

(0) Hearts

By chance are you using an exfoliator, if so, which one and how often do you use it?

With dry skin, it won't matter what type of cream or treatment you layer on top, if there's an excess of dead skin build up, products won't absorb and sit well, leading to fading of make up and even flaking/dry spots from coming up.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • cherrybombtastic
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • lylysa
    • mityren
    • carolang
    • NYStephA