Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|
Anonymous Insider

HELP WITH PRODUCTS FOR DRY SKIN

Hey guys!

I'm starting the medicine Accutane for my severe acne in the next few weeks and I'm looking for skin care recommendations. On this medication, the oils in your body stop it's production, which then makes your face (and whole body) extremely dry. I have combo skin right now, but I know I'm going to need a lot of moisturizing products while I'm in this medicine. So has anyone been in a similar situation and have any good dry skin lifesavers they would recommend? Thanks so much. 🙂

Re: HELP WITH PRODUCTS FOR DRY SKIN

@Anonymous I used CeraVe PM during the beginning of Retin-A when I was super dry and it helped a lot.  (Now, I just use it around my eyes and mouth.)  When I got serious dry patches, I also used Neosporin which was a lifesaver.  The generic brands work just as well at a fraction of the price.  Good luck!

Anonymous Insider

Hi there!

I am just starting my 3rd month with Accutane and my skin is really turning a corner, the first two months were a little rough, but not worse than my breakouts before. My main tips would be: hydrate, drink A LOT of water; always have chapsticks with you; don't exfoliate; take your medication with food, good fats especially help your body process it better and has been linked to better results after (no acne returning later).

Oh, I had bad cracks in the corners of my lips that were terrible and would bleed. If you talk to your Derm, they have some stuff that can help. Mine finally cleared up after using Mupirocin. Anyway, here are the products I have liked.

The moisturizer that actually helps is DermaE moisturizing line day/night cream. It has made such a difference! I don't know if sephora sells this brand or not, but Whole Foods does. 

I have a bunch of different brands for chapstick, my favorite- EvanHealy Whipped Shea Butter for Lips, I got it from Whole Foods, expensive for lip stuff, but my favorite. I just try to avoid any with peppermint or anything too smelly, the more basic the better. 

I am in the process of trying to find a good foundation, the first two months I had to use a liquid foundation because everything else was not working. Now all foundations just look bad on my skin, so I guess just know that your skin will go through transitions and go with it. I might try a good BB cream. Honestly, my skin is the best it's ever been so I would almost feel completely comfortable going out with no makeup- which NEVER happened before.

Sorry this is so long, I hope it helps. I am SO glad I started taking Accutane, even with those first two months. I feel like I can see perfect skin on the horizon and that is a life changer for me.

Best of luck!

Nicole

Hi juliasan1,

While I recommend speaking with your dermatologist for the best products to use while on Accutane, I do suggest picking up a tub of of the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Cream Intense Hydration in the meantime as this will be incredibly moisturizing to the skin. Additionally, you don't want to add any products that can exacerbate irritation so this is great because it is made for sensitive skin. It's also formulated with Colloidal Oatmeal which helps to soothe the skin. You can use this on both the face and body 🙂 

Stay Fabulous,
Zanna
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing