cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Dry Skin
|

Dry skin and nothing seems to be working

Hello all!

I have very dry skin, and I am at a loss when it comes to fixing the situation. I use Clinique's 7 day scrub every few days, and CeraVe hydrating facial cleanser when I am not using the scrub. I go in with Peter Thomas Roth's water drench cloud serum and for moisturizer I use Neutrogena hydro boost or First aid beauty face cream. When I am not wearing foundation, you can't see the flakes as much obviously but my face doesn't feel smooth... But when I am wearing foundation the dry patches are SO bad mostly on my forehead but pretty much every where. I really don't know how to get this under control. I use IT cosmetics your skin but better cc+ cream.. and so far it has been the least drying.. But since it is so thick and almost oily feeling I would need to set it.. Which I can not go near powder or it makes the situation 10x worse.

Any suggestions for exfoliators, moisturizers, serums or even foundations?

Re: Dry skin and nothing seems to be working

ren's cleansing milk is truly amazing. i also have super dry skin and using that cleanser once a day smoothens my skin and gives it lots of moisture. 

In addition to drinking tons of water, which can make a huge difference in your skin, make sure you don't use a cleanser that foams up and is drying.  Instead, start with a cleansing balm like Clinique Take the Day Off, which is at a great price point too.  If your budget allows, incorporate a toner or essence which will help your skin better absorb your serum and moisturizer.  Use a serum that has the word "hydrating" in it for maximum effect.  Top with moisturizer or oil - you may have to go to Sephora and ask for some samples to find one that works the best for you.  I personally enjoy the It Cosmetics Secret Sauce, Algenist firming/lifting cream, any of Tatcha's moisturizers, or on the more affordable side, Boscia or First Aid Beauty.  It will take some time to see improvement so be patient.  I wouldn't exfoliate more than twice a week and I highly recommend the lemon peel peds from Neogen.  They're only $27 and they are so, so good!  And for extra hydration try the Farmacy honey mask once a week.  Good luck!

Anonymous Insider

You need something pure and organic. Have you tired any LXMI products before? If not, I would suggest you try there Pure Nilotica Melt or Creme du Nil. These products will leave your skin looking radiant and smooth. 

@Anonymous @NikkoBT

Suddenly a lot of LXMI recommendations from new posters?

Are you thinking what I'm thinking @greenchilli ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous Insider

using the right cleansers, oils, and cosmetics is important but, if you haven't, you might want to see a dermatologist just to be sure you don't have an underlying condition causing your problems.  also, drinking plenty of water and a healthy diet that provides plenty of Vitamin C & E can make a world of difference.  Almay also offers some good products for very sensitive skin.  good luck!

After cleansing, I would add a toner. A toner adds moisture back into the skin. You can also try some facial oils like the Drunk Elephant - marula oil. 

I think adding these two types of products before your moisturizer will help a ton!

I have the same problems!  Unless I use heavy creams and oils, my skin is dry and flaky, and it cracks in the winter.  I have problems with eczema and perioral dermatitis, so I have to use products that are gentile on sensitive skin.  The three products that have helped me most are Dr. Jart Ceramidin serum, Dr. Jart Cicapair Tiger Grass cream, and Korres Black Pine Firming night oil.  I also swear by extra virgin coconut oil at night, and I typically use Korres wild rose vitamin C active brightening oil in the morning.  For makeup, I stay away from powders as a general rule, but sometimes add powders to set my makeup.  Tarte is great for sensitive skin, but I have found other products that I prefer.  I like Korres greek yoghurt moisturizing primer, Dr. Jart premium beauty balm (holy grail) or Dr. Jart Cicapair Tiger grass color correcting treatment, and I use a cream blush (MUFE), and cream contour and highlight.

First off, I think a facial oil would do you wonders. I use the SR Juno oil and my skin has been all around wayy more hydrated and glowy, even on days I don't use it. I use it with the first aid beauty ultra repair moisturizer. Also, I would recommend a chemical exfoliant, not a scrub (they can be harsh and drying). Try out an AHA lotion/serum or a lactic acid one. Paula's choice makes fantastic AHA exfoliants. In the morning before foundation a very gentle manual exfoliator could help with flakes but always make sure to moisturize after. The Too Faced Born This Way foundation is super nice for dry skin it makes my skin look so smooth, healthy, and radiant! Also beware of any product with alcohol dent. or fragrance in them as they can make dry skin 10x worse. I find a lot of skin care in sephora contains these harmful ingredients and can be more gimmicky so watch out for that.

I wouldn't recommend the Clinique scrub for you. Don't get me wrong, Clinique has some great products (one in particular you may enjoy is their dramatically different lotion, Custom smart serum is another REALLY good serum). But that scrub is going to be pretty harsh on dry skin. Have you considered an oil based cleanser? Ole Henriksen has one at a reasonable price point. I also honestly think you need better moisturizers. I've tried both the ones you mention and they ended up in my "nope" pile - not hydrating enough.

When you're reading reviews for moisturizer, you need to find one that people have said is "too heavy" - all those negative reviews are POSITIVE for you (and why just looking at the number of stars a product has isnt a good reflection of the product!) Some I've enjoyed: Murad hydro-dynamic ultimate moisture, Estee Lauder Nutritious day cream. You might even be able to get away with a night cream.

One last note: you NEED, listen -- NEED a good night cream. Farmacy makes an insanely good night balm, and at a lower price point, Nuxe creme fraiche de beaute mask is only $25 and still all right.

Hope all this helps! I used to be dry skinned, I now consider myself normal. But it hasn't been an easy nor a cheap ride!

I have problems with my skin and I get dry patches between my eyebrows, my nose and forehead.  I started using Korean skincare and my skin has gotten so much better.  Because I have a skin condition (I live in a humid climate) my flakes won't entirely go away, that's why I use tinted moisturizer, not foundation.  I like sheer, dewy coverage, not full coverage though.

I do the Korean 10 step once a week and the 7 skin method a few times a week.  Youtuber Gothamista has a lot of great info on her channel. (Not affiliated)

Toner - Whamisa Organic Flowers Deep Rich Essence Toner

Exfoliator - Neogen Dermalogy Bio-Peel Gauze Peeling Wine - I don't see this on sephora.com but I bought it in store.  I'm not sure if your Sephora carries Korean Beauty though.

Serum - Blithe Tundra Chaga Pressed Serum

In response to my last post- for dry skin when you use a light face oil under your make up, it will make everything so much smoother. Just don't use a primer and use blotting paper to set your make up. 

Try the Anastasia Stick foundations with a little face oil. it goes a long way. 

I have a huge problem with this too. I am speaking from years of trial and error, so I will just tell you what I use and tell you its after trying TONS of products.  Take from it what you will, but I have paper dry skin from living in a dry climate and it literally hurts when I don't stick to my routine. And whats more, my skin is like- baby soft, toned and it looks life I never hit puberty almost. Freaking happy I got here. 

1- I use the Skin Inc. Pure Revival Peel: So this is important- people with dry skin have a lot more dead skin built up. Exfoliating alone does not have nearly the same effect as using this peel. It literally breaks down the dead skin on the surface and you buff it away. Super quick and easy to use and you feel the difference immediately. At first use this like 2x in the first 2 days, then just 2x per week after that. skin inc.jpg

2- stay away from foam, clay, whatever cleansers. Use a creamy cleanser like the one from Sheseido. Really, any creamy cleanser will do. FIrst Aid also has a really really good one. 

3- COMPLETELY stay away from products with Dimethicone, Trimethicone, Silicone or any silicone derivitives. They will clog the hell out of your skin. If you have dry skin it all bunches up and causes acne. Also, they don't actually moisturize, it just tricks your skin into thinking it does. 

4- Try not to use toner. But if you 100% have to, try instead an "essence lotion." You have your pick too because Origins has a great one, Sheseido has a great one, even I think Tatch has a great one. There are a lot to choose from. I use the Essence Toner from Origins. I do have to have a toner out of habit, I just have to have toner. 

originsessence.jpg

5- Don't ONLY moisturize. I use a serum plus a moisturizer, and I top with a light amount of face oil. (find what works for you)

The best serum I have found bar none is the Ceramadin Serum from Dr. Jart. If I am out of moisturizer I just do a little more face oil. The best oils so far that I have used are Korres Wild Rose and the Clarins Blue Lotus Oil. They both keep the pores small and moisturize like hell. 

ceramadin.jpg

For a good moisturizer- REMEMBER TO STAY AWAY FROM PRODUCTS WITH DIMETHICONE AND ETC... because with dry skin, whats happening is that crap is just sitting on your skin, and your skin doesn't get to absorb anything from the moisturizer. Its terrible. Especially when you really need the moisture, this is just tricking the feeling on your skin into thinking its being super hydrated but in reality its the dimethicone giving a watery feeling. Nothing is actually happening. 

Look for Glycerin based moisturizers. The best one I have used is the Peter Thomas Roth Rose moisturizer. Why it is awesome- suuuper moisturizing, you only use a little and it goes a long way, the rose helps to rebalance irritated skin. Dry skin is so easily irritated, I swear I have the same tone I did when I was 13 before I broke out in acne. 

PTRrose.jpg

Then I top with a light layer of the Oil, if you do oil the key is oil on top of lotion, never before, because the oil helps your skin to absorb all the helpful ingredients. 

korreswildrose.jpg

This is all the routine stuff I use. 

For treatments I would suggest a few other products that are good for any skin:

Dark spots: Murad Lightening Serum (ideally use for a couple weeks at a time, then give your skin a break for a month then use again) 

Acne: spot treat with Dennis Gross Sulfer mask. You don't need a lot and with sulfer really only use if you full on pimples. 

Moisture treatment: either the Pumpkin Mask (its actually gentle but powerful), the Rose Mask (rebalancing tone), or the Cucumber Mask from Peter Thomas Roth. Also a great mask from Skin Inc. is Pure Deep Sea Hydrating mask (You can actually use this on the eyes and lips and you can use as a daily moisturizer). I highly recommend any of these. 

pumkin.jpg

rose mask.jpg

cucumber mask.jpg

deepsea.jpg

I know its a lot of info. haha. but this really is from years of trial and error. I am not a fan of clinique, but if you continue clinique- nix the toner, and don't use any harsh cleansers. For moisturizing remember to grab a moisturizer with NO DIMETHICONE, TRIMETHICONE or silicones. 

On that note: I have run into so people at Sephora that just don't understand how bad those ingredients are and try to offer products that have these ingredients far down on the list. DO NOT LISTEN. Trust me. any amount of dimethicone, trimethicone or silicone just keeps your skin from absorbing all the moisture. which might be why you continually feel like you need more moisturizer. Trust me, avoid those ingredients, you will be so glad you did. 

I just want to second everything in this post!  I also love Sunday Riley Good Genes Lactic Acid Treatment for gentle exfoliation.  For facewash, I swear by Yes to Carrots cream cleanser.  It is cheap, very gentle, and incredibly calming on my sensitive skin.  For a toner, Murad moisturizing toner is great and pretty well priced per ounce and Caudalie Beauty Elixir is very gentle and my skin drinks it up.

Wow that was some great advice! I know firsthand how right you are about using a peel product. I've called my skin dry for years, started using Rena glycol Lactic peel religiously for 2 weeks, and my skin turned baby soft and smooth - crazy effect.

And that makes so much sense on the dimethicone. I love dimethicone primers, but solely because they are a barrier layer. I can't see how a dimethicone moisturizer would do anything other than superficial changes, which im not about. Give me lasting results in my skincare, not momentary changes.

Hi Kelsiiibee, I feel your pain! I'm always fighting the battle with my dry skin especially during the winter. Layering is key and make sure you really are doing it day and night. I'd recommend adding a face oil to your regimen. My two favorites are  Josie Maran 100 percent Pure Argan Oil and Boscia Tsubaki Beauty Oil. I use First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads everyday as maintenance but if I've been neglectful or my skin is just being stubborn I use Kate Somerville ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment. It gives physical and enzymatic exfoliation and really gets off all the dead skin.

Hi, Kelsiiibee!

How frequently were you using the Clinique 7 Day Scrub? Are you washing once or twice a day?

Did you notice the dryness and flakiness occurring after any changes in your skin care or beauty regimen or was it even prior to that and it's after you noticed it that you began to use the Clinique scrub, CeraVe cleanser, and the PTR/Neutogena, and FAB moisturizers?

Hello! Smiley Happy

I use the scrub every few days.. So maybe 3 out of the 7? I wash my face in the morning before putting on make up and at night to remove it.

My skin has always been very dry, but I just recently.. Maybe the past 7 months started actually using moisturizers at all. I was mistakenly under the impression any moisturizers and face washes would break me out, because multiple store bought facial cleansers I bought in the past have done so.. I originally went in to find a different foundation because I have used bare minerals all my life only to realize they all look terrible because of how dry my skin is.. this is when I started using all of these products! And still can't manage to find one that suits me.

Exfoliating 3 times a week may be pushing, as typically exfoliation is done on average 1-2x a week. 

While the Clinique scrub may use gentle silica beads to polish at skin, the constant physical contact of the particles may be too much for your skin in such a short span of time. 

How often are you cleansing, is it once or twice a day with the CeraVe cleanser?

The recommendation to add a facial oil or hydrating booster (such as the Dr. Jart Ceramidin Liquid) is great to help amp up the moisturizing properties of your existing moisturizer. Since oils are high in essential fatty acids, these also aid in mimicking the composition of natural oils your skin produces, making their absorption easier and better recognized by your skin. While oils are thinner in consistency than a moisturizer, if you wish to layer the products, apply your moisturizer first and then a drop or two of oil. The composition of an oil's hydrating properties is much richer than any cream, gel, or lotion formula so applying it last will ensure it doesn't impede how your moisturizer sinks in. For hydrating boosters (feel free to also check into the one from Dr. Dennis Gross), these can be applied prior to moisturizers or even mixed in with them. The Dr. Jart formula above is fortified with ceramides, which aid in improving moisture retention within cellular tissue. This will allow your skin cells to make better use and process any hydrating properties of formulas used. For example, your PTR Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Cream utilizes hyaluronic acid as a humectant with binds moisture to skin from the atmosphere, think of ceramides as the insurance policy to ensure that all that moisture pulled in is actually getting utilized properly. 

You may even consider opting into using a hydrating sheet mask at least 1-2x a week. Hydrating/conditioning masks can be used more readily versus formulas that focus on purifying or detoxifying skin (such as clay masks) because they're not pulling anything out/away from skin but rather putting back into skin what it may be lacking or missing. Hydrating masks are great to follow up exfoliation as at that point fresh skin is exposed and you're able to immediately introduce a hefty and healthy dose of moisture to that new skin. 

The two hydrating sheet mask formulas above are from Skin Laundry and Karuna, both of which provide a no-nonsense approach to nourishing skin.

Both contain sodium hyaluronate, niacinamide (a derivative of vitamin B that aids in repairing and healing skin), and glycerin (another humectant). 

Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 17 Hearts Given
  • 15 Contributors
Photos9
  • skin inc.jpg
  • originsessence.jpg
  • ceramadin.jpg
  • PTRrose.jpg
  • korreswildrose.jpg
  • pumkin.jpg
  • rose mask.jpg