Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

Dry Skin even with these products

I think I do everything I can. I moisturize twice a day, drink enough water, don't shower with hot water, use an overnight moisturizing face mask, and my skin still feels and looks dry. I don't know what else to do.

Anonymous Insider

Re: Dry Skin even with these products

I was feeling the same way, but I never gave up hope. I recommend that you try Pure Nilotica Melt and Creme du Nil. These products saved my skin!! They hydrated and moisturized my face back to life. 

I was in the same boat as you for awhile until I started using a toner and a chemical exfoliator/peel. I currently use a toner from Lush made with rosewater thats calming and hydrating for dry skin. I also use the Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Ultra Gentle daily peel pads and they're a game changer! 

Hi @blush19!

I think @TrysBeautyItems has a good point about trying out a humidifier. Those things can be magic for drier skin types during the winter. 

Additionally, I suggest trying out an essence or softening lotion, followed by a serum, prior to your regular mositurizer. Try out Tatcha's Essence Plumping Skin Softener. An essence is important to use because it will assist with product absorption. Think of your skin as a sponge. If you put soap on a dry sponge, the soap will just sit on the top of sponge. If you put soap on a moistened sponge, it will be easily absorbed! 

Additionally, a serum is a great way to add that boost of hydration your skin needs. I recently started using the Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Cloud Serum. I have combo skin, and usually feel dry near my cheeks and jawline, and so far I'm loving the results! I hope this helps 🙂

Cheers!
Nikko

It's dehydration. What exact skincare products are you using? Something probably needs switched out and/or need a chemical exfoliant to aid in absorption. I disagree with not washing in the a.m. I do a light cleanse to feel refreshed and get off the residue of the moisturizer/night..it's not as long as at night to get the day/makeup off. I did for a bit, wash with just water in a.m. my derm didn't like that..I tried the micellar water, still washed after didn't like the feel. 

Drinking water is good, but the skin is the largest organ it receives water last. Try a humidifier and hydration booster. Also when the air is drier, like winter, heater, a/c, it sucks the skin's moisture.

Cleansing in the am seems to be a personal thing. I have tried both ways; with water + toner, and with a gentle cleanser. With the right cleanser, I don't feel like it makes a huge difference, but with anything less (even just, say, 90% right), I do feel a difference in hydration, for not much difference in anything else. I wouldn't do it with micellar water though.

The micellars I've tried left me with a bit of residue afterwards that I would prefer to avoid in the morning. My go-to atm is various Mario Badescu toners, which are relatively inexpensive enough that I feel ok with leaving product in the cotton pads.

I've tried toner, still don't like it. Of course personal, there's no one 'right' way 🙂

@blush19

What products are you using? Moisturizing twice a day won't cut it if the one you're using isn't very moisturizing. If your skin feels dry relatively soon after you moisturize (as opposed to, only at the end of the day), this is likely your biggest problem. Different products vary a bit, but in general, creams > liquids > gels in terms of hydration level. If you are using a gel or a gel cream, I would seriously consider switching ASAP. I have dry skin and I have yet to find a moisturizer of those types that was enough for me. (Also, if you'd like recs for specific moisturizers, some idea of your max price would be very helpful. If you really want to you can spend literally thousands on skincare.)

Apart from switching your moisturizer, here are some other steps you can try:

- Don't use cleanser when you wash your face in the morning, unless you have noticeable product or oil on your face. Just rinse with water, and either use a washcloth or wipe with some toner on a cotton pad afterwards. Cleansers can strip your natural skin oils, so if you are already low on those due to naturally dry skin, using a harsh cleanser, or cleansing unnecessarily, can make that worse.

- Put your moisturizer one while your face is still damp from washing/rinsing. Pat it dry with a towel, sure, but don't wait too long after that. You want to seal in the moisture from the water, and you can't do that if it all evaporates before you put something on top of it.

- Try using a hydrating serum or essence. This was the thing that made the biggest difference for me, especially in terms of staying hydrated ALL day. I use the Missha Time Revolution one (at the misshaus website, and also now at Target), but I also really like the Clinique Even Better Essence Lotion. For serums, I've heard good things about Murad's HydroDynamic Quenching Essence.

- If you're not using a toner, try using a moisturizing one of those as well. I love the Murad spray toners, because a) they're hydrating, and b) they last forEVER since you aren't wasting any product in cotton pads.

- If you wear makeup, try to minimize the powder you put on your face. If you use powder foundation, switch to liquid if you can, or use a lighter application. Try using a setting spray instead of a setting powder. If you experience dryness in your cheeks especially, try using a cream blush instead of a powder. Etc. If you can't switch to liquid, or if you're using liquid now, try using a hydrating primer underneath. Too Faced Hangover primer is a good choice for that.

http://www.sephora.com/even-better-essence-lotion-for-very-dry-to-dry-combination-skins-P401608?skuI...

http://www.sephora.com/hydro-dynamic-quenching-essence-P403747?skuId=1775386&icid2=products%20grid:p...

http://www.sephora.com/hydrating-toner-P4032?skuId=654020&icid2=products%20grid:p4032

http://www.sephora.com/hangover-replenishing-face-primer-P387589?skuId=1626043&icid2=products%20grid...

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing