Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

DRY SKIN TALK

I think it's about time we have a place for people with dry skin to talk their dry skin, share, discuss, help each other with their skincare routines, problems, goals.... Skincare. Life style changes. Anything. As much as we can. We don't have to be experts to help each other out. Maybe our experiences combined and put together can produce something helpful and beautiful for every fellow dry skin person that might seek help, word of advice, or simply a "safe haven".

Of course, you don't have to have dry skin to join us. Anyone with some wisdom willing to share is welcomed here!

upload_2505217092246032622.jpg

Re: DRY SKIN TALK

Ok so if you have really chapped lips try Egyptian magic. It really is magic !! and for all my Canadians you can get it at Ambrosia (at least in Toronto you can). Literally the only product that works on my lips. I tried Burt's bees, Eos and a ton of other lip products but it dried them out completely. Its like a thick balm if that makes any sense at all. It makes your lips look super glossy without being sticky and its so good!! highly recommend and its not super expensive either where I buy it.

So, what is your winter dry skin fix? Any favorite winter moisturizers/treatments? 

RE: DRY SKIN TALK

I HAVE SURVIVED ACCUTANE AND THIS IS WHAT I LEARNED: Alright so for anyone who hasn’t been on accutane or have not heard the horror stories, it’s an acne medication that sucks the life out of your skin... on your entire body. It is super effective but it’s also a major hassle in more ways than one. But to address how I handled having the driest skin of my life, here we go. There were a lot of great products I found are effective on super dry skin but these are the stand outs, there’s no better way to see what really works on dry skin than putting it to the test on skin that has ZERO moisture in it. If you need major moisture fast, like your skin is painful and red and beyond dry, pick up a tub of the cerave skin renewing night cream. You can get it at CVS, it’s a little white and purple jar, it’s pricey for the amount you get and it being from the drug store but this is the closest thing you’re going to get to immediate healing for intensely dry skin. One day the accutane hit me so hard I could barely move my face, I slathered this on and went to sleep and I was 10x better the next day. It’s thick, doesn’t have a scent, not a pretty bottle but it works great. Also not a Sephora item but again, if you are beyond dry this is what you need. For dry lips, and by dry I mean cracking and bleeding (yes this is what accutane does to you haha) you need cortisone 10 ointment. Put that on your lips and it heals them so quickly. But make sure not to use it too often because the active ingredient will thin out the skin on your lips and that will cause more harm than good. I’m not a dermatologist, I know that’s not really something meant for your lips but I know it worked wonders for me and other people on accutane. Alright now for Sephora products that helped me out when I was very very dry. The FAB ultra repair cream is great, such a good moisturizer for dry skin, there’s really nothing negative I could say about it. It just does what it claims to do. As for oils, which I found help dry skin so much when layered on top of a moisturizer like the FAB one, biossance squalane oil is THICK but it’s so moisturizing, it just locks everything in and the size of the full sized bottle is huge, I used it for months and barely made a dent in it. Also, the Josie Maran Argon oil is similar, great for locking in the moisture, not going to sink in very well but if you don’t mind shellacking your face with oil before you go to sleep, you’ll wake up with nice and hydrated plump skin. Hope this helps someone!

Re: RE: DRY SKIN TALK

Accutane is internal vitamin A, aka retinol, hence why it's soo harsh. At least you found something to combat the driest of the driest 🙂

OMG! What happened to this thread??? It seems like HUGE chunks are missing.  Right @lyravega?

@veronika23 I didn't even see this!!! No idea wth happened here. This just looks like such a mess! 

It does look like a hot mess @lyravega 😞

@KatieBTis there a way to fix this thread so it's back to normal? Thank you!

RE: Dry Skin Talk

It took me a while to figure out how to balance my skin. I would get a lot of flaking and just awful dry patches. So I have a couple of tricks. Before I go to bed I'll exfoliate my skin. This will take all that dead and dry skin off. Then I'll go in with a toner and serum. Once my skin has absorbed that- I mix an oil with my moisturizer. I usually use the Fresh Seaberry Oil with the bliss deep hydrate one. Another good alternative is using the Sunday Riley Luna with the first Aid Beauty intense hydrate cream. Day routine for me includes using First Aid Beauty radiance pads, Drunk Elephant vitamin C serum and the Sunday Riley CEO creme. Oh! And sunscreen. Not sure if it's overkill -- but both the texture and moisture of my skin has improved!

Re: Dry Skin Talk

@J3nny92 @J3nny92 There are a lot of good options on this thread!  I like CeraVe PM which is recommended by dermatologists.  When I get REALLY dry, I use Clinique Smart Treatment Oil.  And if I have a patch of skin that is super dry, I use a tiny amount of Neosporin.

I love the Clinique dramatically different moisturizer. When my skin is so dry it's flaking I know I can rely on this for added moisture

I really like the Kate Sommerville Dry Skin Saver. It hasn't let me down once!

http://www.sephora.com/dry-skin-saver-P412117?skuId=1862283&icid2=products%20grid:p412117

Love love love tatchas water cream. I have very dry skin.

Dr. Jart's Sleeping Mask is great. I use it day and night to give me all day moisture. It is very lightweight but leaves my skin dewy.

Sometimes if you're skin is extremely dry I would incorporate a hydrating serum into your routine. I've always had great success with the Drunk Elephant B Hydra with their LaLa Retro Whipped Cream on top. The molecules in a serum are smaller than the ones in a moisturizer... therefore the serum will penetrate the skin deeper and hydrate almost from ''with in''. The moisturizer will take care of the hydration on the top layers. Some people find best results when using two products.

Maybe you can find some answers/help in this thread:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Dry-Skin/Dry-Skin-Talk/m-p/2779045

You could try LaMer @J3nny92. I got a sample of it recently and it was very rich. Unfortunately for me it was so rich it gave me some milia. 😞  That's not to say it will happen to you though!  On the down side it is rather pricey

My usual dry skin potions include Caudalie moisturizers (the heavier ones, not the sorbet) and also their oils. I've never had any skin reactions with that line 

RE: Re: Dry Skin Talk

thank you i will look into it I have heard good thinks about it .

I'd recommend Drunk Elephant Lala cream-- it has helped a lot with my currently severely dry skin. I would also recommend looking into some kind of oil, like DE's marula or Sunday Riley's Juno. I use oils constantly now for glow and hydration. @J3nny92

RE: Re: Dry Skin Talk

Thank you I have tried caudalie before but it didnt work very well for me. I will try the stronger one not the sorbets.

Re: RE: Re: Dry Skin Talk

@J3nny92 Try the intense moisture rescue cream from Caudalie. They have another that's even richer but Sephora doesn't carry it. You can check out the Caudalie website. Another great one that Sephora does carry is the Korres Greek yoghurt advanced sleeping facial. My face feels so soft in the morning when I use it!

110 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • upload_2505217092246032622.jpg
  • upload_4627651336397585252.png
  • upload_3045113384917992822.jpg
testing