evno

Conditioning the skin?

(0) Hearts

In the spring, I started using oil-based cleansers and moisturizers to "condition" my oily skin into producing less oil. Now I'm wondering if I could reverse it a bit?

Usually my skin is oily enough for at least 3 blotting sheets, but over the summer, it was the normal type because I was using Pond's Cold Cream Cleanser and the Josie Maran Argan Infinity Cream. Success! But then with early fall, my skin was normal/dry, and now, it's dry enough to peel a bit. I know that your skin type changes with the weather, but is it possible to make my skin a bit oilier again? Should I use a less heavy moisturizer to trick my skin into producing more oil?

lylysa

Re: Conditioning the skin?

I would suggest sticking with more hydrating and moisturizing ingredients in the products you use.

Humectants and conditioners such as oils, ranging from argan, shea butter, honey, royal jelly, sodium hyaluronate/hyaluronic acid, and ceramides will all help provide a boost to skin and help retain moisture better.

Since the weather is changing, merely switching to lighter weight formulas might end up doing more harm than good as you don't want to leave your skin vulnerable to the elements.

evno

I might start layering a lighter moisturizer under my face oil, then. :smileyhappy:  I don't want to risk my skin to the elements, so I guess I'll wait until the spring to see if my skin goes back to normal. Can you recommend me some products with the ingredients you mentioned?

lylysa

[ Edited ]

Try applying your oil first, then a moisturizer on top. Oils are meant to mimic the natural oils are skin needs and absorb quicker. A lotion, gel, or cream based moisturizer should go on top to "seal" that in. You don't have to have that as a slower absorbing barrier on skin first to where the oil would take longer to sink down.

Check into CeraVe (it's a drug store brand with simple formulas but are packed with ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and niacinamide, a vitamin B derivative that boost the effectiveness of active ingredients), Murad's Hydro Dynamic cream (packed with avocado, sunflower, and olive extracts to moisturize plus shea butter and hyaluronic acid, yet the formula isn't thick or greasy), Origins' Drink Up 10 Minute Mask (apricot oil and sea botanicals condition, on the Origins website they have a leave on version as well you can use as a boost in moisture without having to remove it from skin), and even Manuka Doctor's Rejuevenating Mask (contains honey, royal jelly, plus shea and cocoa butters).

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 2 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • evno