Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|

Combination skin now dry

Hi. I'm 43. I"ve noticed a big change in my skin. What was once oily is now dry. I have skin with eczema and rosacea which makes things worse. I feel like I've tried everything. I'm at a loss. Help. Thanks.

Re: Combination skin now dry

@charlyc Have you ever considered using a facial oil? Argan oil is very hydrating and gentle for sensitive skin so it shouldn't irritate your eczema or rosacea. There are tons of fatty acids in argan oil as well, which helps plump skin and keep it supple. 

Another thing to consider - do you notice your skin has a different texture or condition at different times in the month? Hormones can play a big role in our skin, for example, I tend to notice mine is a bit more oily at certain times, dryer at others, I break out fairly predictably, etc. I saw below you've seen a derm, but have you spoken to your primary physician? Skin with that dramatic of a change, it may be something internal rather than external. I don't want to assume anything of course, but oftentimes we don't realize how much our insides affect our outsides! 

Hi. I should try the argan oil. I've heard great things about it. My skin has just changed, and not at certain times. I'm not sure if it's a getting older thing. 😞 I have considered talking to my primary. Thanks for your help!

I also can vouch for First Aid Beauty! I used to have oily and now am dry after accutane and this line as helped a ton since it works with my sensitve skin.  I have yet to try anything I don't like.  I would highly recommend looking at the "skin in bloom" set on Sephora rn because its SUCH a good value.  $47 CAD for full size eye cream ($45), full size moisturizer (30$), travel size cream and deluxe sample bouncy mask. 

Thank you. I will check it out. This is very annoying!!!

FAB is great for dry skin. If you find it to be a bit too stuffy, Drunk Elephant Lala cream, L'occitane Shea cream or Murad hydrodynamic moisturizers are great. If you want something slightly antiaging, Peter Thomas Roth rose cream (and Kielh's rose moisturizer) are great.

If you already tried all of them or feel they are too rich, then let me know and I'll recommend some other ones.

Thank you very much. I've never tried FAB. I tried the La La cream and currently have the Kiehls rose. Problem is, my skin is still really dry. My dermatologist is no help.. I think I should find a new one.

@charlyc If those are not moisturizing enough, it sounds like it's not absorbing and sitting on top instead. Try a hydrating serum like Drunk Elephant B-hydra, Fresh Seaberry Booster, Murad Hydro-dynamic essence or Peter Thomas Roth Cloud serum after cleansing/toner and before your current moisturizer.

It should help, if you've tried all those and they didn't help, it might be a problem with the rest of your skincare routine instead, like needing a gentler cleanser, exfoliate less frequently etc.

Thank you. Is there a cleanser you recommend. I don't really exfoliate. I guess that could be a problem?! I never found a gentle one either.

@charlyc I just realized you asked for cleanser recommendation, not exfoliator recommendation, lol. The stuff I recommended below are exfoliators.

Gentle cleansers that cleans well without drying, what I use for my dry combo skin in the winter, are Boscia Purifying cleanser, Fresh Soy cleanser, Tatcha oil cleanser or Perricone Nutriv cleanser. If you have sensitive skin I'd recommend get a sample of them from Sephora and try each out to make sure it doesn't dry out/irritate your skin at least, then go from there. Good luck!

It's hard to find a gentle but effective exfoliator since so many are made with big chunky sugar/nut shell granules! My favorite, for when my skin is feeling sensitive/dry, are Tatcha gentle enzyme powder and Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion. They feel more like a paste than scrub when you apply, but rub gently and when you rinse off 30-45 seconds later, your skin will definitely feel smoother and squeaky clean!

Exfoliation scrubs off the top layer of dead skin so your products absorb better, so it could be your problem if your moisturizer don't really absorb or if you never exfoliate or use an exfoliating cleanser.

Thank you. Makes sense. I'll check those out.

Hi charlyc, 

Have you tried the First Aid Beauty line? I would definitely recommend their products for sensitive skin with eczema and/or rosacea. 

Bisous, 

Sian

Hi. I've never tried that line. Thank you!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing