Fabz

Best product for super dry skin and peeling lips

I am just a mess of dryness and have tried multiple products without success.

So... What's YOUR absolute favorite product to for the "cure" ? :smileyhappy:

nataliejade

Re: Best product for super dry skin and peeling lips

(0) Hearts

Pond's Cold Cream (the green one). OMG this stuff is so amazing! It helps with dryness if you leave it on for ten minutes and then wash off. I highly HIGHLY recommend it!

Fabz

(0) Hearts

Great advice ladies! So many new things to try. I am upping my water intake and trying natural coconut oil. I also had ordered Clinique and am also trying that. I see a little improvement so far on my skin but not much on my lips. I'll definitely be purchasing some of these recommendations. Thanks!

NYStephA

(0) Hearts

Aside from all the other harmful side effects of parabens and sulfates, I've also heard many people have better success when they switch to all natural products. Another thing to consider is that water itself as an ingredient can contribute to drying out skin. I find products that use an aloe base to be much more effective in combatting dry skin than those that contain a high concentration of water and also waxes and fillers. 

I used to struggle with dry skin, but finally found my cure on the recommendation from a friend of mine.  I use the Airelle hydrating cleanser, and then apply the Airelle Intense Repair Componce after I dry my face. They also have a really nice and gentle exfoliator that I use as a mask about once or twice a week that leaves my skin feeling amazingly soft, smooth and hydrated. The stuff is not cheap, but I love it and to me it's worth it. I hope you find your cure too!

narsgirl43

(0) Hearts

Cerave lotion for face and aquaphor for lips :smileyhappy:

atexas

I have been uncomfortably dry my entire life. I have never found anything that moisturizes like Dr Hauschka Rose Day Cream (you can buy it at Whole Foods for aprox $40).  I keep trying other lotions for the anti aging benefits but always go back to Dr Hauschka when my face becomes uncomfortable because it will be soothed other night.  If you'd like something at Sephora, the most moisturizing one I've tried is Algenist overnight cream.  I'm so dry I can wear that during the day but Dr H is more moisturizing and calming for half the price.  I also suspect I'm breaking out from Algenist.  

I've also had the same problems with my lips.  Nuxe lip balm is so thick it will stay on all night and has done wonders for me. 

This may not help you, but just incase…  out of desperation, a couple years ago I stopped using cleansers w sulfates and parabens and also switched to more natural laundry detergents.   My skin is considerably more comfortable (less itchy etc).  I don't know which is the thing that helped the most but I figured those are all positive changes so I didn't bother to find out.  

Good luck!
helpful

The Jack Black lip balms cured my peeling- its really the first thing that has worked for me and I've tried everything from aquaphor to Clinique with no success. 

drrragon

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Yup, Aquaphor gets my vote also.  It's super gentle and super emollient.  Seals your lips with a protective barrier against environmental damage like pollutants, dry air, etc.  I have multiple little pots of this in my purse, bag, nightstand, bathroom, etc.  You'll notice that doctors recommend Aquaphor for babies with skin/diaper rashes too because it doesn't have any weird ingredients to cause irritation.

MaritzaNicole

(0) Hearts

Baby Lips is the only thing that has worked for me.

jinxski

[ Edited ]

I live in quite a dry area, and the winter season can be rough at times.

I would suggest trying out a facial sheet mask such as My Beauty Diary or one of the ones from sephora.

These are usually super afforadble and provide a ton of moisture to my skin.

Other than that, aloe vera gel is the best product for my skin, personally. It's super gentle and I can use it wherever I have dryness.

Still haven't found the perfect thing for my face, but the face masks help keep the dryness at bay!

Good luck! :smileyhappy:

a2z1

(0) Hearts

what do you think of lush ultrabalm?

a2z1

I have seen aquaphor mentioned on here a couple of times before, are you talking about the actual lotion or do they make a product for lips only?? :smileysurprised:)

lylysa

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

The actual ointment that comes in a tub or tube can be used for skin/body and lips. :smileyhappy:

But they do make a lip treatment as well.

MizzyyzziM

I just wanted to add in that I have chapped lips but not as bad as most. I'd say it does seem to be a weekly problem and I've been applying - TokyoMilk Dark Femme Fatal Lip Elixers (I got La Vie En Rose No. 42:

-Every morning

-Before and after I brush my teeth as sometimes the toothpaste dries my lips out (I'm serious)! Check out your toothpaste ingredients.

-Before lipstick, and after.

-Every night before bed.

That seems to have stopped the problem for me completely. It says its .7 oz in the picture but the can is over 2" in diameter and about a 1/4 thick with salve. Which is great for $7.00 (In my opinion) and it lasts a long time :-)

Warm Regards,

Missy

Don't get this one though if you don't like rosey smells! I don't like rosey smells but I still use it because it works so well. I didn't think by the description it would be SO rosey. But I'm a ditz sometimes and the first ingrediant under the scent description is Rosewater but I have selective reading sometimes.

TokyoMilk Dark - Femme Fatale Collection Lip Elixirs

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Kudos to TMDLE in La Vie En Rose! It's my current balm/love too!

:smileyvery-happy:

Beautytester used the Salted Caramel one and said she found it a bit sticky, which I don't find in the LVER scent, so maybe the formulation is a bit different due to the fragrance/aroma used.

melde

I live in an extremely dry climate and have very sensitive skin. Sometimes in the winter, my lips get dry and cracked (even when I wear lots of moistruizing products at night and exfoliate when appropriate).

I love:

- Aquaphor (good for even sensitive skin, I wear it under lipstick pretty often in winter)

- Lush's Ultra Balm (this stuff is incredible, it only has 3 ingredients, it is so moisturizing... I had a horrible cold last week and my nose was so red and gross and I put this on my nose one night, the next morning it was perfect. I wear it on my lips every night)

- coconut oil (this is weird, but this stuff really does moisturize well. plus it's not toxic like a lot of other stuff, so that is a bonus)

I'm certainly no expert, but I have had minor allergic reactions to lip produts that people swear are "natural" or "sensitive" so I always figure if it works for me, it probably works for most people with similar lip issues.

cefrd13

(0) Hearts

I have heard really good things about coconut oil, but san't seem to find it anywhere! Where did you find it? Thanks!

ChicDabbler

If your grocery store have a health food isle, that's where it will be. However, I do suggest trying to find the organic/cold-pressed/extra virgin kind if possible, basically the best, because it does make a difference.

I have a jar of coconut oil from a brand that makes vitamins, it was scentless and moisturizes like all oils but nothing impressive. my parents brought the super fancy one from Costco, my goodness the difference! The intense coconut scent hit me in the face as soon as I opened the jar, it's whiter than mine and definitely hydrates better.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

You can find it at specialty food stores or grocery stores that cater to more of the organic/natural lines.

latinadiva

I have suffered with this foreverrrr! I could NOT figure out why my lips were so darn dry. I couldn't think of any other way to describe it but that I felt like my lips were shedding a layer of skin all the time (it wasn't horrible that people were noticing because I've seen some BAD pictures doing my research..just super annoying for me). I found myself chatting with a MAC sales rep one day as I noticed her putting on my go to lip product for chapped lips (at the time it was Vaseline Lip Therapy). In conversation she said the exact same thing I did, that she doesn't know what else to say but that it feels like a layer of skin just comes off multiple times a day. She mentioned that she used to have eczema on her body as a child/teen and when that went away, she got it on her lips and it immediately clicked for me that it had to be my problem. I sufffered from horrible eczema on my knees and elbows and as soon as that stopped, I got allergies in other ways (hay fever, etc.) and that is when the dry lips started. LONG STORY short, a few suggestions. You can exfoliate periodically. I do but I don't feel like it does much...I just..do it anyways. There are a few products that I've discovered recently that have by far made the most improvement on my lips that I've seen in years. 1) Lanolin. This is the product that breastfeeding mothers use. It sounds gross but the product is actually 100% that ingredient and it is only an ingredient used to help with eczema and many dermatologists suggest it for dry lips. I use this more at night because it is sticky. 2) Josie Maran Argan Lip Treatment. I use this when my lips are realllly getting bad and normally in a day or so they're better. I save it for when I really am bad because it's kinda pricey compared to the other two. 3) Aquaphor. HOLY COW. This is legit something that was recommended to me by a pharmacist about a week ago and I already swear by it. I bought a huge tube to leave in my bathroom and then two travel tubes to take in my bag. It is amazing. Point blank. Super smooth. Not sticky. Awesome, awesome, awesome. You won't be disappointed! My lips are not 100% better but the best they have been in years. Hope this helps!

lylysa

Also, like any regimen, maintainence is important. Scrubbing just once and using lip balm or conditioners every once in a while won't cure all the issues and ward of problems from ever coming back.

Depending on the condition/state of your lips, you may have to even exfoliate 2x a week and apply conditioning balms multiple times a day to ensure you're moisture levels are depleting and you're back to stage one.

Make a routine and stick with it, it's the best way to ensure your efforts will pay off so you can see results! :smileyvery-happy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 24 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • drrragon
    • narsgirl43
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler
    • cefrd13
    • latinadiva