Answer
Boo143
regimen for dry skin

Hi!!

I have pretty darn dry skin and I peel very easily especially on my cheeks and chin.  I have acne prone skin and use topical cream to help treat it.  I wanted to change up my regimen for summer because I swim a lot and the chlorine and salt water dry my face even more.  Right now I wash my face every morning and night with Clean and Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser, then depending on my acne I put on a topical treatment, finally I finish with La Roche- Posay Anthelios 60 melt- in sunscreeen lotion.  I am just starting to really get into sckincare so I'm starting from schratch really and i need sugestions on how to use the products together.  I was thinking about investing in a Clarisonic, would that be worth while?

Thank you!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 5
ran8
Answered

With the topical treatment, the foaming cleanser is probably not helping and exacerbating the peeling.  Also is it indicated on the topical cream that it will make the skin more sensitive to the sun?  Is it an Rx?  If so, you may want to talk to the dermatologist about these concerns and see if they have any moisturizer recommendations that would pair well (and not agitate) with the topical cream.  Otherwise, an adverse reaction such as a burning sensation to the peeled area may occur.

With the sunscreen, make sure to reapply frequently, especially during any swimming activities outdoors.  If only applying once, it might be sunburn causing the peeling (and future skin damage).  There is not much to keep 100% hydration while in the water but make sure to moisturize post swim/shower.  Use a non foaming/particle type of cleanser since the chlorine does a good job of stripping the face of natural oils.

Cleanser ideas: 

Korres Milk Proteins http://www.sephora.com/milk-proteins-foaming-cream-cleanser-P270709?skuId=1247931

First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser http://www.sephora.com/face-cleanser-P248404?skuId=1217710

Skyn Iceland Pure Cloud Cleanser (at their official site)

Do not forget to drink water and rehydrate too.  For a sunburn, treat it like a sunburn; not dry skin.  It will need to heal. 

Typical Skincare routine as follows:

Cleanser

Toner (optional)

Serum(s) (concentrated form of product targeted for specific needs and wants; optional)

Cream(s) (ie eye cream and more emollient products; optional)

Moisturizer

SPF

After that, facial makeup for the non swimming days.

For this case, First Aid Beauty may be a brand to consider.  Sample first if possible.  Brand link:  http://www.sephora.com/first-aid-beauty

As for the Clarisonic, it may be risky.  Especially with the current cleanser, it may dry out the face even more.  The brush head and motions may irritate the peeling area and make it very sore, raw, and/or sensitive. 

Hope that helps. 

cherrybombtastic
Answered
(0) Hearts

I also agree that anything that foams is bad for dry skin. A good cleanser for dry, acne-prone skin is REN's ClearCalm 3 cleanser and Dermadoctor's AHA/BHA cleanser. Both are milky and won't irritate your skin if you follow the directions. I can totally relate to swimming, but looking at the bright side, at least the chlorine kills any bacteria you may have on your face. As for investing in a Clarisonic, I'm using the Clarisonic for acne and it has helped tremendously in my skin texture, but I think overall if you don't have an acne regimen down, using the Clarisonic alone won't help. I hope this helps and good luck!

etherealbliss
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have suffered from dry, sensative skin my entire life (including tightness, dry patches and peeling), and after trying several expensive skin treatments/cleansers that failed to help, I finally found a combination of products that has dramatically improved and hydrated my skin.

Every day and night I use 2 cleansers: 

OLAY Total Effects Nourishing Cream Cleanser - this is very gentle and moisturizing.

OLAY Total Effects Refreshing Citrus Scrub - this is a wonderful exfoliating cleanser that doesn't irritate or strip away the oils in your skin.

I follow this up with NIVEA Extended Moisture Body Creme. It's amazing how something that isn't marketed as a face product has worked so perfectly.  It is intensive without being oily or heavy, and I haven't broken out once.

I think the Clarisonic could be beneficial if used in moderation and with caution (as it may further agitate your skin).

1girliegirl
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have a very similar skin type to yours.  My skin is dry, yet acne prone (the worst combo in my opinion).  I finally went to the Dermatologist because none of the OTC or even medical grade products I was using were working consistently.  Surprisingly, he recommended inexpensive Neutrogena Foaming Face Wash (which although it is slightly drying, our skin type needs a foaming face wash to deep clean our pores and prevent acne flareups).  The creamy cleansers I was using previously felt great on my skin, but did not get it clean enough and so I had continuous breakouts.  He also prescribed a Retinol cream that I use every evening to prevent breakouts.  I am definitely following a less is more philosophy and literally my skin has never looked better!  I basically have 4 Holy Grail skincare products now: Clarisonic, Neutrogena Foaming Face Wash, Prescription Retinol Cream & Josie Maran Argan Oil.  I no longer have to wear foundation.  I either use a tinted moisturizer or a BB cream (only because my face is pale in comparison to the rest of my body due to the high SPF I wear on my face)  It sounds like you are doing everything right.  The only thing I would recommend you add to your routine is the Argan Oil, it is the only product I have found that truly hydrates my skin and I don't develop flaky patches afterward.  Don't be afraid of "oil", it will not cause you to breakout.  I am listing my simple skincare routine.  I hope this helps you!  Good luck! 

Morning: Wash with Neutrogena Foaming Face Wash using my Clarisonic; follow with Josie Maran Argan Oil Moisturizer w/40+SPF & Clinique All About Eyes Rich

Evening: Wash with Neutrogena Foaming Face Wash using my Clarisonic; follow with Prescription Retinol Cream, Josie Maran Argan Oil & Clinique All About Eyes Rich

prosheranda
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hello,

sounds like the topical is causing excessive dryness along with the pool water, however sea water is most therapeutic for acneic skin.  The natural minerals act as an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial agent and healing sources.  Always us water resistant sun screen, as to get the most of your protection while in the water, since reapplying is not always practical. 

The Clarisonic is a wonderful tool to use when deep cleaning the pore or excess oil and pollution that gets trapped.  However with active acne you want to avoid any scrubbing or manual exfoliation, as this will cause bacteria to move to other parts of the face. 

During a calm season of your skin, it is great to use this tool to maintain a healthy environment for you skin.

I would recommend a repairing skincare line like First Aid Beauty, Fab Faves To Go Kit $28- Not greasy, full of calming benefits and restores skins moisture levels minimizing excess oil production, cutting acne breakouts down.

First Aid Beauty - Fab Faves To Go Kit

Cheers,

Sheranda

Question Stats
  • 5 answers
  • 3 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • cherrybombtastic
    • etherealbliss
    • ran8
    • 1girliegirl
    • prosheranda