Answer
buddhaful
Very dry skin and moisturizer makes me break out. Help!?

Hey everyone, I'm in need of some advice.  I have extremely dry skin [usually in the winter] but I also get some rough patches in the warmer seasons as well.  My biggest problem is definitely in the wintry months with the intense chill and the dryness of the air indoors.  I saw a dermatologist years ago and she advised me to use Cetaphil.  I've been using it on my face for years and for the most part it does help to moisturize my skin.  BUT... lately I've noticed it's causing me to break out.  I wouldn't call it "acne" persay but my face has little to medium sized red pimples/bumps and the tone of my skin is very uneven and reddish.  I feel like I'm solving one problem and causing another!  I hate the way my skin looks - it makes me feel like a teenager having these break outs.  They don't go away easily and more just pop up.

I have tried (aside from the Cetaphil) Philosophy Hope in a Jar and also the First Aid Ultra Repair cream.  I have even tried one of the Clinique moisturizers but that one seemed the least effective with the dry/flaky patches.  These creams also caused me to break out so I stopped using them.  I'm wondering if my problem is that I should use some type of cleanser or face mask at night to remove these creams and replace with something more natural?  I really don't know what to do.  I've never used a mask or exfoliated or done anything like that, lol.  None of my friends have this problem with their skin so they really don't have much advice to offer me.

Please help!!!  Thanks!  :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 6
6aad0801
Answered
(0) Hearts

i'm allergic to cetaphil ... the dermatologist recommended spectro gel as an alternative. but personally i switched to johnson& jonhson Purpose because over the years I swear spectro gel changed (severe smell imo), but again it was recommended by the derm. so your may still want to give it a go.

for moisture:

i use avene moisturizer and love the aqua gel hydrator from NARs but it is very pricey (hard to react to though since it's mostly water).

and of course drink lots of water; something i must do more of.

sephoramusthave
Answered
(0) Hearts

Skin Organics by Ann Webb "Be Ageless System" $108 for 5 products. They will SAVE your skin.

sephoramusthave
Answered
(0) Hearts

Acnetix and Elizabeth Grady Sheer Moist Creme

tmgood
Answered
(0) Hearts

sounds like you may have alittle acne roscea going on.  you should use a soapless cleanser (less irritating) and moisterizers that have the natural ingrediants already found in your skin, ie hyalouronic acid, ceramides, niacinamides, etc.  They cleanse while preserving your skins natural protective barriers.  It won't strip away that natural barrier the way regular soap can, which contributes to very dry skin.  Check out CeraVe cleansers and moisterizers (found in drugstores), probably the most inexpensive and effective way to repair and maintain your skin.

tenngal
Answered
(0) Hearts

An excellent moisturizer for acne-prone skin is Kinerase "Lotion" because it is hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, fragrance-free and is non-irritating for even the most sensitive skin.  You can find it at:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P234614&categoryId=B70

However, it sounds like your skin is super-dry and you may need a heavier-duty moisturizer than the Kinerase product I mentioned.  If you don't think the Kinerase will moisturize enough, then I'd recommend trying First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream.  It is an ultra-moisturizing lotion that you can find at:
  http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P248407&categoryId=B70

I hope this helps you. :smileyhappy:

cherrybombtastic
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have acne, and at first I didn't exfoliate because I thought it would aggravate it. I received the Clinique 7 day scrub for free from the skin care challenge and I didn't think too much of it. But then I began using it for a week in the shower and I saw a noticeable difference in texture. You should try a gentle scrub like Clinique's before cleansing to see if it makes a difference before applying your moisturizer. Right now I'm using Murad's Skin Perfecting Lotion. It doesn't have a thick consistency, but you should try it. It could help.

Question Stats
  • 6 answers
  • 1 heart
  • 6 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • sephoramusthave
    • cherrybombtastic
    • tmgood
    • buddhaful
    • 6aad0801