cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Dry Skin
|
Anonymous Insider

all moisturizers irritate, help?

i've tried many, MANY moisturizers, all different kinds of creams/ gel creams and they all turn my face bright red. the only thing that doesn't is pure olive oil, the difference in color is like holy crap what have i been doing to my face, but it doesn't moisturize enough.

i'm wondering if it's my cleanser that's irritating me so much, but i use cetaphil which is supposedly the most gentle. i exfoliate, but it just irritates more and by the time my skin calms down it's dry again.

what i need is some out of the box thinking and  moisturizer suggestions. (no alchohol, no citrus extracts, no stripping/brightening/anti-aging)  

i'm 24, fair combo skin (though very dry right now)

Re: all moisturizers irritate, help?

Skinfix!!! The Skinfix Barrier+ Triple Lipid-Peptide Face Cream 3.04 oz/ 90 mL did amazing things for my dry skin and helps with my natural redness and texture on my face. 

Re: all moisturizers irritate, help?

First of all. Do not try a “natural moisturizer” as those usually have fragrance and essential oils in them that will sensitize your skin more. Natural doesn’t equal better. Any fragrance  is bad fragrance if that’s happening to you. I have the same issue as you. What’s most likely happening is you have an allergy to an ingredient commonly used in most moisturizers even those labeled as “good for sensitive skin” look at all the moisturizers  you have and make a note of all the common ingredients they have in them and the go to your derm with that list and they can test you on those. Also do you have rocasea or exzima or any other genetic skin disorders? If you do then your skin will be more easily irritated by most ingredients anyway and need to look for moisturizers that will accommodate that. I think you should also stop exfoliating for now because you need to maintain a healthy moister barrier on your skin and if your exfoliator is irritating you that much that means your skin barrier is being compromised by it. Plus exfoliating is just a no no for sensitive skin. So moral of the story is it’s the moisturizers fault for turning your skin red but it sounds like your skin is irritated from exfoliators so just talk to a derm 

Get into natural skincare. The cleanser you are using isn...

Get into natural skincare. The cleanser you are using isnt at all what I would call "gentle" because it does have a lot of irritating, toxic chemicals in it. Here is the ingredient list for Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Stearyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben

As you can see, its all junk.

I like natural companies like Weleda, Sibu Beauty, Burts Bees, Suki, Mychelle, Badger, Skin Organics, 100% Pure, Origins and Korres.

have you tried ceravae hydrating cleanser and moisturizer.

have you tried ceravae hydrating cleanser and moisturizer. 

Re: have you tried ceravae hydrating cleanser and moisturizer.

I used the CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser and for *me* it was one of the worst cleansers I've ever used. Every single time I used it it BURNED my face real bad and whenever I rinsed it off my face was bright red and that usually never happens to me. And it doesnt remove makeup at all.

I'd go with my standby- products from Fresh. They're for...

I'd go with my standby- products from Fresh. They're for sensitive skin and are also natural and have rarely irritated my skin, and a lot of products have caused me irritation from other brands. Good luck!

Anonymous Insider

Okay, here is my .02. I am on accutane and my skin is inc...

Okay, here is my .02. I am on accutane and my skin is incredibly dry right now. I have a history of acne problems which are clearing up but I cannot use ANY soaps, exfoliators or anything or it just hurts my skin rather than helping. I mean, even cetaphil dried me out! Go to your local drugstore. Get a tub of stuff called Albolene. Its located next to cetaphil normally. Do not use this if you are blemish prone or have issues with clogged pores. It has both mineral oil and paraffin in it. All you do is rub it on and tissue it off. No water! Your skin will feel incredibly soft and moisturized and it absolutely does not irritate your skin. I understand what you are going through because my skin turns red like that right now too. Albolene is made for people with eczema. It only has around 5 ingredients in it. Its been around forever but because of the mineral oil it will break you out if you have any issues with that. It is not expensive, about $9 for a tub. It looks a lot like petroleum jelly except it cleans better than that and is a charm at removing makeup (especially water proof or long lasting). It stripped off my MUFE products in like 2 minutes flat. I don't have to use any lotions or moisturizers at all when I use this which makes my regiment of products much less as well. 🙂

Anyway, I really hope this helps. This stuff was a lifesaver for me. Good luck!

hlcroghan

I would recommend First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream or...

I would recommend First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream or Origins Dr. Andrew Weil for Origins Plantidote line.  My sister has the same reaction to any moisturizer that you do (the Clinique cleanser on extra mild actually BURNED her skin, according to her), and these are literally the only two lines that don't irritate her highly sensitive skin. 

If the irritation is being caused by exfoliation, try doing it only 1-2x a week, max.  I would also try using Modern Friction by Origins as well.  It's made with rice instead of exfoliating crystals or beads, so it's very very gentle on your skin.

I agree on staying away from exfoliating products, whethe...

I agree on staying away from exfoliating products, whether is a chemical or physical exfoliation. Since you're using Cetaphil, why not try the Dove bar? It's also in that category of gentle products because it's doesn't strip away natural oils. As for moisturizers, try using Argan oil. I get mine from Garden of Wisdom's site, which is cheaper than Josie Maran's products. Just make sure you use sparingly and massage well into your skin. I have dry skin, which gets to be combination, too, but if I don't put anything on my skin, it's definitely dry, so I can relate. I also have acne-prone skin, but Argan oil has helped tremendously not only with my acne, but with those pesky scars. I hope this helps and good luck!

Anonymous Insider

I would stay away form the Exfoliators until your skin ha...

I would stay away form the Exfoliators until your skin has clamed down and restored its self. You dont want to keep exfoliating if its aggrivating it!

It would suggest the Kate Somerville Goat Milk Face Cream. Its targeted for sensitive skin and is super gentle and wont aggrivate. Goats Milk is knows for its calimng but moisturizing effects.

Lactic acid is naturally occuring in goat's milk so you wont be missing the exfoliating if you give this up, and this moisturizer will also help turn skin over (the main perpose of exfoliaitng)

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Maybe you should stay away from exfoliators with particle...

Maybe you should stay away from exfoliators with particles in them.  Sounds like your skin is super sensitive.  Perricone makes a glycolic cleansing bar that actually contains olive oil.  It would very gently exfoliate your skin, and it probably wouldn't irritate it.  You might want to look into one of the moisturizers from the line too.  Pricy but maybe much better for your skin that what you're trying now.  Good luck!!

Hi there uhmmm,   What sort of exfoliator are you using a...

Hi there uhmmm,

What sort of exfoliator are you using and how often? I would suggest that maybe you should try using a very gentle exfoliator only a few times a week, and something that will be lighter on your sensitive skin.

Try the Boscia Smoothing Facial Polish which is amazing for sensitive skin and should not irritate your skin and cause any redness.

Smoothing Facial Polish

I also recommend the Skyn Iceland moisturizers and cleansers. What's great is that these products are soft and light on the skin and are specifically made for irritated, sensitive and stressed out skin. I love the Cloud Cream for its whipped texture and great hydration.

Pure Cloud Cream with Biospheric Complex

The ANTIDOTE Quenchind Daily Lotion is another favorite because it soothes your skin and gives a boost of hydration to reduce dry or flakey, irritated skin.

The ANTIDOTE Quenching Daily Lotion with Biospheric Complex

Another great line that I would suggest for you is First Aid Beauty. This line is great for all types of skin and even for those with eczema and rosacea. There is a fantastic moisturizer and cleanser that I know would be great for your skin to try! 🙂

Forever Fab Set

Forever Fab ($80 Value)

I hope my suggestions can help you! I do suggest that you visit a dermatologist if you are still having any more allergies or irritation as it could be something you are allergic to that is affecting your skin so negatively.

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Anonymous Insider

Most moisturizers dry my skin out but I think Clinique Dr...

Most moisturizers dry my skin out but I think Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizer should help give your face extra moisture it needs. It works great for my face!

I was going to suggest the Clinque Dramatically Different...

I was going to suggest the Clinque Dramatically Different Moisturizing gel but it looks as if someone  already has. I love it because its 100% fragrance free and non irritating it also doesn't least a greasy feeling.

How often are you exfoliating and with what?  If you are...

How often are you exfoliating and with what?  If you are doing it more than twice a week, you are probably stripping your natural oils. 

Have you tried Josie Maran’s Argan Oil?  I might say if you really cannot find that moisturizer, try using the argan oil on its own or a few drops into the moisturizer.  If you cannot get a sample, the travel size is affordable to do a trial and run exercise.

I love boscia for sensitive but if you are seriously very dry (as in you never get combo areas at all anymore), it might not be hydrating enough.  Same goes for Skyn Iceland.  Those are probably the two brands at Sephora that I think are the best for sensitive skin. 

Some clinique products contain menthol which if you are dry, AVOID.  It is not a skin friendly ingredient to begin with.

Toner wise, try going without but gently clean up the area with cold water and a soft wash cloth.    Have you also considered using a cleansing oil? 

If it’s a new moisturizer every week, you’re probably confusing your skin more than helping it. 

If you are not drinking water, your skin will feel dry no matter what.   Keep hydrated. 

I could list a bunch of products but you really need to go out there and try these things for yourself.  Everyone’s skin reacts differently to products and you need to find what best works for you.   As Melissabt said, if you run into problem after problem, see a dermatologist and run an allergy test.  Actually, that might be the best suggestion in your situation. 

Hi Uhmmm, Those are all great recommendations!   I also...

Hi Uhmmm,

Those are all great recommendations!

I also wanted to add that you should try the Boscia Skincare line. Most of the products are in Sephora's Natural section and do not contain some ingredients that some people may find irritating.  I have very sensitive skin too (even sometimes water makes it red) and this line has worked really well for my skin. I think if your skin irritations persist I would check with your dermatologist to see what ingredients you are allergic to!

Boscia Soothing Cleansing Cream

Soothing Cleansing Cream

Details: botanical emollients nourishes and protects dry, delicate skin.

Boscia Oil-Free Daily Hydration SPF 15

Oil-Free Daily Hydration SPF 15

Details: It has ingredients that have anti-bacterial benefits and it gives you intensive hydration.

Bosica Recharging Night Moisture

Recharging Night Moisture

Details: It works to nourish the skin and smoothes fine lines and calms the skin.

I hope that this helps!Smiley Happy

❤️ Melissa
Anonymous Insider

I love the ultra repair cream from first aid  beauty. It...

I love the ultra repair cream from first aid  beauty. It doesn't irritate me and I have sensitive skin.

uhmmm, picking the right moisturizer has always been hard...

uhmmm, picking the right moisturizer has always been hard for me, too. Here are some of my favorites:

Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion:

This is the lotion I use every night. It doesn't irritate my skin (I have mildly sensitive skin), and is very moisturizing.

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion,

Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel

Then there's a similar moisturizer. It's in a gel (it's for people with oily skin)

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel

Clinique's Redness Solutions Daily Relief Cream:

I've never tried this, but a friend of mine says that this is really good. And on the plus side, it might help your redness.

Redness Solutions Daily Relief Cream

Clinique Redness Solutions Daily Relief Cream

Bobbi Brown Extra Face Oil

I also haven't tried this one, but since you said that olive oil doesn't make your face red, this might work. Bobbi Brown is a pretty trustable company, and the description of this product is probably want you want. Here it is:

Extra Face Oil
What it is:
A multipurpose oil that soothes dryness while providing all skin types with a light, dewy glow.

What it does:
This concentrated facial oil provides a boost of intensive moisture. Its lightweight formula absorbs easily to immediately moisturize, soften, and condition skin. Its blend of oils, including sesame, sweet almond, olive, and jojoba, leave a light layer of glistening moisture. Vitamin E protects skin from environmental damage, especially with continued use. Its blend of natural essential oils offers a soothing scent of neroli, patchouli, lavender, and sandalwood. This product is dermatologist-tested.

Extra Face Oil

Bobbi Brown Extra Face Oil,

Hope this helped!

-dreamysmile 🙂

18 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 13 Hearts Given
  • 18 Contributors
testing