Answer
HaleyJJ
Accepted Solution
My face is dehydrated & uneven with a rough texture, please help
[ Edited ]

My skin is extremely dehydrated and dull lately. I use a clarisonic every night but no matter how much I exfoliate it never seems to look anything but rough. Large pores on my cheeks, lines on my forehead & an uneven looking texture all over. My skin is extremely sensitive and is frequently irritated on top if all this. My moisturizer does nothing for the dryness & my makeup looks awful sitting on the roughness. I use cetaphil face wash, cerave moisturizer spf 30 & MyChelle hyaluronic acid serum at night

I'm only 28, please help!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Best Answer
fabme
Answered

Hi There,

I too have dry skin, use the clarisonic and a good skin care routine with top notch products.

But what I have found that helps more than anything is something really simple: Drinking Lots of Water.

Seriously, on days that I'm too busy or only drink one bottle, I can see my skin shriveling like a raisin, ok, maybe I'm exaggerating, but seriously, drinking water helps.  On mornings when I wake up thirsty, and then after I drink a fair amount of water, may face seems more hydrated and my lines are less visible.

Good skincare comes from within, make sure you are drinking lots of water and have a good diet filled, veggies and fruits etc. Double what you are currently taking in and see if it makes a difference.

I have found that this helps me in addition to good skin care.  Good Luck!

Answers: 6
poppyh
Answered

I agree with the previous post regarding water- sometimes change has to come from within :smileyhappy: It's also a good idea to put on moisturizer while your skin is still damp.

Maybe you need to shake up your routine a little. My skin started looking dull with enlarged pores when I got into my late 30's, and none of my regular tricks were working (mechanical exfoliation, masks, homemade remedies). That's when I discovered the chemical exfoliators. Philosophy Help Me did wonders for my skin: it evened out my skin, got rid of the roughness, and I could continue with my regular day moisturizers.

SyedaAH
Answered

I also had my dry and irritated skin but then I read in a magazine that with dry skin sometimes washing your face can strip it of its natural moisture so I started washing my face only at night time.... This seem to really help me, I used any gentle drugstore brand..And in the morning I would only wet my face with water then allowed it to airdry before applying moisturizer...Ole Hendrickson did wonders for me plus it had SPF.....Also fresh rose petal mask is OMG amazing! It brought the moisture back to my skin after two applications...I highly recommend it. Also for makeup try a foundation instead of powder sometimes powders make your skin look even drier.... nars foundation powder is really good you apply like powder but it looks and feel like foundation..It almost has a velvety feel...Plus it gives full coverage. 

sumakeup
Answered

hello,

you might want to check the exfoliator you're using.   i read somewhere that if you have dry, uneven skin tone, that grainy exfoliators will only make your skin flakier--just use the clarisonic brush, that's enough exfoliating you need.  also, have you tried a cleansing oil, like clarins?  and perhaps try something with a  low percentage of retinol, or just use a that moisterizer everyother day.  for now, give your skin a break!  just use the cetaphil and the cetaphil moisterizer, and even organic moisterizer.  that will help.  but i think the main problem is your moisterizer. 

haystacks
Answered

Sounds like your moisturizer isn't cutting it.  Also, I have seen hyaluronic acid serum dry people out a great deal. I would consiter looking for a moisturizer to use night and day (but that is labled as night, these are ritcher), specifically one that is advertised for "mature" skin even though you are only 28.  These tend to have higher quality ingredients.  By this I don't mean a anti wrinkle cream, but a nice rich night cream you can use night and day.  Maybe use the clarisonic with a non-drying clenser as well.

My suggestions:

http://www.sephora.com/hydraquench-cream-for-normal-to-dry-skin-P201429?skuId=1054204

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?skuId=1379387&productId=P301604&keyword=Bare%20Esce...

hope916
Answered

Hi Haley! First of all, let me acknowledge how frustrating and upsetting it is to deal with multiple skin problem and find zero relief (I've been there). But there's hope! That said, there are several things that helped me.

For inner skincare, I agree with fabme about lots of water (aim for half your body weight, more if possible). Along with the increased H2O, you can adjust your diet by eliminating processed foods, simple carbs, sugar (the worst for skin) and alcohol (if you must drink set a limit and reach for wine at least it has antioxidants).

Add various veggies (dark leafy greens are great for the skin) and low glycemic fruits, lean proteins (fish and poultry) and good fats aka MUFAs (monounsaturatedfatty acids) such as olive oil, nuts, seeds, avocados and dark cholocate (55% cacao or higher). I incorporated a few supplements, since it's tough to get all the nutrition we need through food! I take collagen supplements, hyaluric acid, biotin (10,000mcg) and Vit C (2000mg) all supporting healthy skin, hair and nails from the inside. 

As for outer skincare, I found an amazing aesthetician who has changed my skin (and life). I started out with more frequent visits to get faster results but now I go less frequently and focus on daily skincare at home to maintain/continue improvement. The facials are all natural which include a peel (lactic and glycolic acids) followed by a manual microderm (using a handheld tool rather than a machine which weakens collagen and elastin). Her facials evened my skintone and texture! 

At home, I use a gentle scrub (Kiehl's Skin Brightening Exfoliator) 2X/week in the shower with my Clarisonic. I also do biweekly masks. I rotate between Murad Skin Intesive C Radiance peel, Boscia Luminizing Black Mask and Ren Glycolic-Lactic Mask. To restore moisture, I follow with Caudalie moisture mask or Origins Drink Up mask (I leave it on for 20-30 min to get super results).

Other creams that provide deep hydration are Amore Pacific Hydra-gel, Murad Hydro-dynamic, and Sephora night cream (it heals the skin overnight). They are gel-based which are not heavy, sticky or greasy. To relieve redness and irritation, try FAB redness relief (it works). I also found relief from very dry skin (burning, itchy, flaking skin) with Garnier Moisture Rescue both as a mask and moisturizing gel that sinks into thirsty skin. It's light, smells fresh (like aloe) and feels amazing!

I hope these tips didn't overwhelm you. Choose only a few products and stick with the same routine for a few months (switching can throw off the pH balance in skin) and eventually you'll discover beautiful healthy skin. Be patient it takes time, less is more. Good luck!

rumriz
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi there,

Well I can somewhat relate to your skin condition and I myself was fedup with using all sorts of things and products and techniques till I found this nice product.

Lancome genifique youth activating concentrate.

I use it after washing my face and exfloting it a little then applying the concentrate, tapping with my finger tips under eye, cheeks,sides of my nose and then around my lips. then the rest of the face n neck. I take about 4 drops on 1 each cheek, 1 on my forhead, and one on my chin. 

After than I use Bare Minerals Purely Nourishing Cream for Dry Skin (I got a free sample from sephora and so far it has lasted me more than 2 weeks)

It has made wonders and changed the look and feel of my skin. 
Please do visit Sephora and ask a consulantant there to recommend you treatments and then get a sample to try out before buying it out!

All the best!

Question Stats
  • 7 answers
  • 11 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • sumakeup
    • poppyh
    • fabme
    • HaleyJJ
    • SyedaAH
    • haystacks
    • hope916