Answer
Banana92
Moisturizer for Combination/Oily and Flaky Skin?
(0) Hearts

Until recently I'd only been using my body lotion for my face, since I didn't use a foundation or any face makeup. It did what I had wanted it to do, that is until I started wearing a foundation. I've been using MAC's gel moisturizer, and that leaves my face feeling tight and just doesn't take care of the flakiness. I was thinking that Josie Maran's Argan Oil would be something to try, but I was just wondering if anyone had some advice. I'm working on a budget maxing $55. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 3
beautytester
Answered

Agree with what lylysal said. Don't make such drastic changes. If you want a heavier gel moisturizer, try Clinique Moisture Surge. If you want something heavier than gel, try a cream like Origins Perfect World or Make a Difference, Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation or Truth Revealed. If you would like to try an oil, I suggest Tarte Maracuja or Fresh Seaberry, both are lighter than Argan Oil (which is thicker and great for really dry skin or as a spot treatment).

lylysa
Answered

You thread title states your skin is combination and oily, but if you're saying that your face is feeling tight after moisturizing with a gel based product (which normally is the best or initial texture to go to for oily skin) and you are suffering from flakiness I believe your skin may just be in need of exfoliation and may be a bit dehydrated.

Aside from the flakes and your skin feeling tight after moisturizing, if you're still dealing or combating oil my first suggestion would be to invest in a exfoliator. 

One of my favorites is Bocia's Facial Smoothing Polish. It uses sugar polymers rather than granuals to buff excess dead skin from the surface of your face so you still get that nice physical sensation of polishing your skin to epic smoothness, but aren't using a harsh, skin abrassive ingredient. Try exfoliating anywhere from 1-2x a week and follow up with your moisturizer as to lock in hydration to newly exposed skin.

Try to stick with your gel for the time being while you introduce the exfoliation step into your routine, see if that makes any difference.

If you are still experiencing tightness after cleansing and even adding the exfoliation step, bump up to a light weigh, oil free lotion (Boscia makes some great options) rather than a cream or oil. Though the JM Argan Oil is amazing, it wouldn't be the first thing I would recommend or reach for if your skin is indeed combo/oily. Even though it's a botanical based oil that won't be super problematic, some facial oils can still be a bit too heavy for oily skin. Try using a lighter weight lotion first before bumping up to an oil.

bananachoox3
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi there

I like moisturizers frm Clinique but thats a personnel preference. I would use a gel for your skin type. Clinique has a nice gel moisturizer for 25. That one is pretty amazing. Another good moisturizer is Philiosophy Take A Deep Breath, another gel type moisturizer. That one is on the pricer side, 34. For the flakiness I would use an exfoliator once or twice a week just to get rid of those flakes. That would help when it comes to applying your foundation.

Question Stats
  • 3 answers
  • 3 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • beautytester
    • bananachoox3
    • Banana92