Answer
Jessica0529
HELP, HELP, HELP!
(0) Hearts

JessicaFeb2013.JPG

Hey ladies!  I need help.  I have extremely dry, fair skin.  I am currently using Lancome's Tie Idol 24 hr foundation and I thought I liked it but I just feel like it dries me out.  I have roscea, lots of freckles, some discoloration caused by my birth control and (genetic) dark circle under my eyes.  I need help finding a full coverage foundation for extremely dry skin with all my imperfections.  I also have naturally curly hair which was turned orange 2 weeks ago by a bad stylist.  I went in for highlights and came out crying.  I put a dark brown all over it and it was still orange so a week later I went to have it fixed and it is better but not exactly right.  Anyway, after having all this done, my curls don't seem as curly and my hair seems limp.  Is there anything I can do?  What do you recommend for shampoo and conditioner?  Please tell me it will come back and that I haven't ruined it forever......Please help!!!!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 1
lylysa
Answered
(0) Hearts

What are you currently using for your skin care routine?

From what I gather about your skin, you suffer from rosacea, mild discoloration, and dark circles, but are also experiencing dryness. Whether or not this is caused truly by the foundation or the fact that your skin is truly dry or dehydrated is yet to be known, did you find your skin to feel tight or dry before using the Lancome foundation? Or that it's just emphasizing and adding to the dryness you already have?

Though you may be looking for a foundation, starting at the root of the issue with skin care can help boost the overall health of your skin rather than mask issues with cosmetic products.

For rosacea, it's imporant to find soothing ingredients and products that will cleanse, treate, calm, and hydrate, but not inflamme, irritate, or sensitize.

Soothing Gel Cleanser
http://www.sephora.com/soothing-gel-cleanser-P72000?skuId=775361

Murad's Soothing Gel Cleanser is a very mild, sulfate (sulfates are soaps/detergents that provide strong lather but can also strip skin of essential oils, causing it to dry out) free formula that uses soothing botanical ingredients to cleanse skin without causing inflammation.

Milk Proteins Foaming Cream Cleanser
http://www.sephora.com/milk-proteins-foaming-cream-cleanser-P270709?skuId=1247931

Korres' Milk Proteins Foaming Cleanser is also sulfate free and uses lactic acid (milk proteins and enzymes) to cleanse, soothe, and even help even skin tone and is among the more gentle ingredients that can be used on skin to help with discoloration.

Though you mentioned genetics being the root of your dark circles, using the proper eye cream can help combat and ward off stressors from the environment and external factors from worsening the look.

Take a look at this recent thread from Spyski where I linked her a thread where I broke down effective ingredients to target dark circles, gave suggestions for eye creams, and even is packed with tips/products to use for covering/neutralizing them from myself and other members:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Face/Dark-Circles-Genetic/td-p/437339

Murad's Redness Control line is also completed with Skin Soothing Serum, Redness Therapy Recovery Treatment Gel, and Redness Therapy Moisturizer with SPF 15.

For the discoloration, as your skin does have rosacea and you don't want to upset the balance or make your skin any more red, I suggest looking into a very milk, delicate skin lightening serum like Ole Heriksen's Truth Serum or the Enlighten Me Serum. Both are rich in vitamin C and won't make skin sensitive to light or irritate.

Take a look at this thread where I go over the difference between chemical and physical exfoliants, this will help smooth out the texture of your skin and give you inside on which path to take that won't be too rough on your skin type:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Dry/dull-face-and-dark-circles/m-p/432931/highlight/true#M203

In terms of cosmetics, are you using a primer under the foundation? Primers can make a huge difference as they can smooth the wear and look of make up on skin as well as help with issues like neutralizing undertones, preventing make up from settling into pores, blemishes, or dry spots, and help your make up last longer.

MUFE and Smashbox make green tinted primers perfect to help neutralizing redness so you don't have to solely rely on your foundation alone to block out the red.

Smashbox - Photo Finish Color Correcting Foundation PrimerMAKE UP FOR EVER - HD Microperfecting Primer

The silicone and dimethicone in the formulas also form barriers over dry spots, pores, fine lines, and wrinkles

Try that with your Lancome foundation and see if it helps any. If you're finding that formula still too dry on your skin, try Tarte's Maracuja Foundation, it's a line that's void of many filler and extras, making it great for skin that is combating issues and is less likely to irritate. It's infused with natural maracuja oil which is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, helping to nourish and condition skin while you're wearing make up. It uses natural, mineral based pigments and is packed with humectants like sodium hyaluronate which binds healthy moisture to skin.

In terms of your hair, if you're wanting to give some fullness and volume to it, but also help preserve your curls, try looking into lines like Living Proof's Full products.

Rather than use silicones and waves to smooth hair, LP uses polyfluroesters to smooth frizz and tame strands, while allowing hair to remain full of life and not be weighed down.

Full Discovery Kit
http://www.sephora.com/full-discovery-kit-P296831?skuId=1376243

A kit is available of the Full products if you want to try and sample them before committing to full sizes.

You can also look into lines made specifically for curly hair, these formulas will normally tend to be sulfate free, as to not splay or dry out curls, but also have lighter weight conditioners as to not make hair limp but still hydrate.

Brands like Bumble & Bumble, Redken Curvaceous, Ouidad, and Deva Curl are great starting places to check out!

Question Stats
  • 1 answer
  • 0 hearts
  • 2 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • Jessica0529
Photos1
  • JessicaFeb2013.JPG