cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in PLAY! by SEPHORA
|

PLAY! By SEPHORA Box Versions: Your Questions Answered

Hi PLAY! by SEPHORA subscribers,

Some of you have been wondering how we curate each of our boxes, so we wanted to let you know how it works!

Every month, our team of beauty experts determine a selection of products around a theme or trend. We then take these products and create different box versions. Because we want you to love all of the deluxe samples you receive, we then choose which version would work best for you based on the answers you provided in your PLAY! PROFILE. This way, the products you receive are appropriate for your beauty needs.

Still have questions about how we determine what goes into your PLAY! by SEPHORA box? We want to hear from you! Check out the FAQs and chat with us below.

Q: How does PLAY! by Sephora decide which products to send to subscribers each month?

A: PLAY! By Sephora curates a selection of products every month that align with a particular beauty theme or trend we’re loving. From here, we develop box versions – which vary based on different beauty preferences like skin tone and hair. Then, we target these box versions to each subscriber based on his/her PLAY! PROFILE. We always try and send you the box that we believe is best for you.

Q: What if I don’t like the products I received in my box?

A: If you’re not sure about why you received a certain product in your box, we encourage you to take your PLAY! PASS to your local Sephora and ask for a personal, one-on-one consultation with one of our Beauty Advisors. This is one of the many perks you get with PLAY!. In-store, a Beauty Advisor can help you find a similar or complimentary products. They will even make you a custom sample so you can try it out at home.

OR, if you can’t make it to a store, you can always call or shoot us an email us: 1-844-PLAY-HLP or playhelp@sephora.com.

Q: What is the PLAY! PROFILE and how do I update my information?

A: The PLAY! PROFILE captures your beauty preferences and concerns. We use your PROFILE answers to determine which box version is best for you each month. To update your PLAY! PROFILE, first go to My Account and then click on the My Information in left navigation. From here, you can your PROFILE information like hair type, skin concern, and skin tone.

Q: What if one of the products in my box is broken, damaged or missing?

A: If you have a problem with your box, you can always call our PLAY! phone extension at 1-844-PLAY-HLP or email us at playhelp@sephora.com. We’re here to help!

why was there no perfume sample this month?.. it's really...

why was there no perfume sample this month?.. it's really the only thing I like about the play subscription..

Re: PLAY! By SEPHORA Box Versions: Your Questions Answered

I was extremely disappointed with my box this month (#904). My skin type is oily, and my concerns are are acne and pores, so Sephora sends me... two anti-aging creams? It's been apparent the past few months that there aren't always enough samples of a product to go around. Some subscribers get products that match their profiles, and the rest get a random assortment of whatever's hanging around from recent promotions.

Both of the anti-aging creams have a high retail value (especially the Algenist), so someone probably would have been thrilled to receive them. Sending products to subscribers who can't make use of them and will never purchase the full size is a waste of money for both Sephora and the companies that provide the samples.

I agree with you...I keep getting things that do not match my profile at all. So much for it being custom and "curated" 

Got the same box. Thought it was very bizarre to get two creams - why not one of the creams and then the Algenist serum that I saw in other boxes. Two of any one product is kinda weird. But I love skin care...so I'll use 'em!

RE: PLAY! By SEPHORA Box Versions: Your Questions Answered

How do I request no scent samples? I have sensitive friends and don't wear perfume!!
Anonymous Insider

I had a few issues with mine. The cream shadow/glitter combo was dried out and looked like it had been used. I was also sent anti aging cream when I’m only 17. I don’t need any anti aging. And I got a cream moisturizer yet I have oily skin? Something went wrong with this one.

My glitter dryerou as well and because if that it did not stick to my eye and what did looked awful.because it wasn’t s smooth application my eye lid got irritated from the glitter and now I’m sitting here with a freaking itchy lump bump in my lid😱😱😱😱😨😰😢😥😭not cute very upset
Anonymous Insider

Re: RE: PLAY! By SEPHORA Box Versions: Your Questions Answered

My eye shadow was also dried out, however for you young ladies who think that you don't need those anti-aging creams, I have news for you. Your skin stops producing elastins right around the time you hit puberty, which means that your skin starts to age from right around the age of 14. If you think I'm joking, look it up. Don't think that just because you're still in your teens that you don't need to start using anti-aging products. Start now, don't wait until your 20s like I did. You'll thank me later.

ugh..I know. 2 anti-aging creams?! I'm only 14!! I have oily, acne prone skin and will never use these! The lipstick in my box is bright red and I will never wear glitter eyeshadow and it is very dry and clumpy! So disappointed.

There are many negative reviews but I loved my box. Howev...

There are many negative reviews but I loved my box. However, Birchbox and Ipsy both give their buyers a choice as to what they get. You can always shoot ipsy an email to request a certain item and Birchbox gives buyers a curated box and sample choice option. I love my play but, considering all the bad reviews, you may want to invest in a sample choice option. Thank you for yet another amazing play box!
Anonymous Insider

Re: There are many negative reviews but I loved my box. Howev...

I agree. They don't necessarily have to let us choose every sample individually, but at least let us choose from the already curated box options.

September box sucked. I hate glitter. Especially when it's opened up and everywhere . Apparently I'm not the only one who's glitter shadow burst open during shipping. Please pay attention to our preferences. I can get cheap samples I won't use any where .

I just received my September box of goodies and the only thing I can actually use is the little eyeliner pencil.  I am 70 and I can't see myself using the very glitterly eyeshadow and lipgloss.  Do I have to redo my things I like.  Because to me is it a waste of money to get things I just give away.  Can you help me out here.

RE: Re: PLAY! By SEPHORA Box Versions: Your Questions Answered

I agree, we should be able to tailor our interests. Like "matte eye shadows " and no perfumes.

This month was just insulting. Not only did I receive samples I have clearly specified I do not want (I have never liked pencil eyeliners, i never use any hair products because I need medicated stuff, and I have small eyelids so a cream eyeshadow is just terrible)! But some of my products had their caps off and spilling out! I seriously wish your "beauty profile" was more in depth and you actually took it seriously. I spend a lot of money at Sephora and constantly feel like dirt. On top of it all, I haven't received an online order with the correct samples I have chosen in over 8 months! And I order online at least 1-2 times a month! Things need to change, clearly.

Seriously! I can't remember the last time I got the sampl...

Seriously! I can't remember the last time I got the samples I ordered. Not even the same type! I'll pick hair samples and get lipstick. wtf.

the sample thing for online orders!!! YES!!! I have the s...

the sample thing for online orders!!! YES!!! I have the same issue and I'm so irritated by it. I make those choices because the other stuff I would never use, and that's what they end up sending me, every time!!!!

Heck yeah! I agree. I understand if they can't super tailor boxes, but we should be able to specify categories of products we can't use.

Also a bit disappointed.  While viewing the sample preview there were MANY products that fit my profile to a tea and yet I got none of the better samples.  No perfume at all, hair products that clearly are NOT custom to my hair type or even close and the color of lipstick is nowhere near what I chose in my profile.  So disappointed this month.

I've been LOVING my play boxes for a very long time! This month I only got 3 items?! I'm highly disappointed! 😔😔😔 I cancelled 3 other subscriptions that were only $10/month to keep this one, and I Loved my iPsy also... How many items are we suppose to get? I have always gotten more than 3 items.
Anonymous Insider

It's usually 5 deluxe samples, plus one other little sample or fragrance.

228 Replies
testing